COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Nando wrote:People got to stop taking home made physics made by some sweaty bloke in a basement and a converted track from a joke of a company and try to apply that to reality....
Verily. The elevation looks COMPLETELY wrong in all the F1 2012 videos or pictures I've seen.

I'm hoping beyond hope that someone wants us to build CotA so I can see what the track is really like. LIDAR scanning FTW. :D

Nando
Nando

WhiteBlue wrote:DTM is unrealistic. It is a German national series. To me it looks already like a pretty good racing calendar. I think the venture is progressing very nicely. A shame that the inventor is not on board any more but otherwise very nice.
Depends on how you look at it. I would say a series with a base in Germany but in reality a European series.

Brands Hatch, Red Bull Ring, Zandvoort, Valencia are not in Germany.
Not to mention the drivers that come from all angles of the world.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

thearmofbarlow wrote:
Nando wrote:People got to stop taking home made physics made by some sweaty bloke in a basement and a converted track from a joke of a company and try to apply that to reality....
Verily. The elevation looks COMPLETELY wrong in all the F1 2012 videos or pictures I've seen.

I'm hoping beyond hope that someone wants us to build CotA so I can see what the track is really like. LIDAR scanning FTW. :D
Simraceway have released their version a couple of days ago. I believe they laserscan.
then you will probably see versions in Assetto Corsa and iRacing when the infrastructure is completely finished.

skgoa
skgoa

Nando wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:DTM is unrealistic. It is a German national series. To me it looks already like a pretty good racing calendar. I think the venture is progressing very nicely. A shame that the inventor is not on board any more but otherwise very nice.
Depends on how you look at it. I would say a series with a base in Germany but in reality a European series.

Brands Hatch, Red Bull Ring, Zandvoort, Valencia are not in Germany.
Not to mention the drivers that come from all angles of the world.
And DTM has expressed great interest in racing in the US.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Nando wrote: Simraceway have released their version a couple of days ago. I believe they laserscan.
then you will probably see versions in Assetto Corsa and iRacing when the infrastructure is completely finished.
I do some work for rFactor Pro, so we might end up building it as well. :D Depends on if any of the teams that contract us feel the need. It's some cool and unique architecture so would be quite fun.

Looking at the comparison between F1 2012 and Simraceway COTA's I'd have to say that SRW's track looks far more accurate. The 2012 version just looks like it has low rolling hills rather than the sharp elevation changes photos indicate. I honestly wonder if Codies went off of something weird like USGS data or some crap.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Here you go, boys...courtesy of my buddy Vance at Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas. Dude finds everything.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=529960207018529

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQwPvMmGN4[/youtube]
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Nando
Nando

Edited, take it on pms instead,
Last edited by Nando on 05 Oct 2012, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

V8 Supercars has a date. May 17-19:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/circui ... 2012-10-04

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Nando wrote: Is it true you have a laserscanned version of the Green Hell? :)
It´s too bad PRO isn´t a commercial product as i think simracers would benefit greatly from your library of laserscanned F1 tracks.
A couple of quick answers so as not to derail.

- I'm not certain about the Nordschleife. If we have it I haven't heard about it.
- If we DO have it, it wouldn't matter anyway. The data we have is provided by the teams, and is considered their IP since they're the ones paying for the scanning.
- I very much wish this wasn't the case. We have some stuff the sim race community would drool over. :mrgreen:

countersteer
countersteer

Will Buxton is tweeting that the garages were not built to spec.... that they're "far too small". "Teams meeting with Charlie" Health and Safety won't let them work in the garage and Bernie won't let them work under a tarpaulin.

Anybody else heard anything about this?!?!?!?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Thanks Countersteer. Just came here to post that. He tweeted around 4am our time about possible garage issues. Hadn't heard this. Did hear yesterday that the tunnels have been flooding and have to have the water pumped out whenever there's heavy rain.
Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton
Oh dear. All appears not to be well at COTA. Garages haven't been built to spec and are far too small. Teams meeting Charlie to discuss.
Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton
Health and safety won't allow them to work in the garages. Bernie won't allow them to work under tarpaulin. One royal screw up brewing.
- Possible garage issues
- Reported tunnel flooding
- RV pads being rebuilt

Maybe these are why no photos are being allowed any longer inside COTA.

Pup
Pup

Sounds a bit bizarre. Tilke was the architect for the pit building, and one can only assume that he knows how big the garages need to be. And if there's a code problem dealing with the size of the garages, then it's something that would have been tagged in plans review.

And Buxton is sort of known for popping off before he really knows anything about anything.

Assuming it's true, and if I had to take a wild guess, than I'd say it has to have something to do with size vs ventilation requirements. That might be the sort of thing that would trip up an architect who isn't completely familiar with local regs.

It's not unusual to get flooding even at this stage of construction, since drains get silted up and have to be cleaned out. Worst case is that the civil engineer made a mistake in his calculations, but even that could be dealt with in the time left. Could even be related to the RV pads - i.e., they could be raising them in order to channel that water elsewhere.
Since wednesday? :wink:
Last edited by Pup on 05 Oct 2012, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Sounds a bit bizarre. Tilke was the architect for the pit building, and one can only assume that he knows how big the garages need to be. And if there's a code problem dealing with the size of the garages, then it's something that would have been tagged in plans review.

And Buxton is sort of known for popping off before he really knows anything about anything.

It's not unusual to get flooding even at this stage of construction, since drains get silted up and have to be cleaned out. Worst case is that the civil engineer made a mistake in his calculations, but even that could be dealt with in the time left. Could even be related to the RV pads - i.e., they could be raising them in order to channel that water elsewhere.
Since wednesday? :wink:
Agree re: the garages. It is definitely bizarre & I hope it's all just a big misunderstanding. Tunnel flooding...who knows? Could be temporary as you say. Hope so! The RV pads were too low. Lower than the circuit. According to various sources someone sitting inside their RV would not be able to see the cars beyond the armco.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

What happened Wednesday? (ETA: MotoGP?)

No, it's since Sep20 or earlier, when COTA began telling visitors not to post photos on the web.

Nando
Nando

They can´t be serious...