COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Portable executive suites. For whom? We don't know. However, we have heard for months that some type of portable buildings will be used as team buildings out behind the pit building. We don't know if these are those or if there will be a different type brought in for the teams.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

snoop1050
snoop1050

HRT's motor home?

you know how mclaren have the communications centre and all the other big teams have there own version of one made from 2+ trucks that sort of fold out like an ikea building

WhiteBlue

snoop1050 wrote:HRT's motor home?

you know how mclaren have the communications centre and all the other big teams have there own version of one made from 2+ trucks that sort of fold out like an ikea building
The motor homes are not brought to the fly away races, they stay in Europe. Teams typically get team buildings for rent for their needs at fly away races. It appears that CoTA hasn't finished the majority of team building and there will be temporary quarters for the teams at least for this year.

I could imagine that those units are garages for support races if they are having any. They do not look like team buildings.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Nando
Nando

Commentary boxes i presume.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

strad

Nando wrote:Commentary boxes i presume.
Hmmmm very real possibility there. =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

What I can't believe is that they basically finished the road part of the track in a few months, and they still haven't finished the buildings. At this rate It'll be very close, I suppose they'll finish the track facilities by the start of November, possibly sooner. The thing that surprised me most is how quick the tarmac was laid down.
Saishū kōnā

WhiteBlue

godlameroso wrote:What I can't believe is that they basically finished the road part of the track in a few months, and they still haven't finished the buildings. At this rate It'll be very close, I suppose they'll finish the track facilities by the start of November, possibly sooner. The thing that surprised me most is how quick the tarmac was laid down.
The machines for laying tarmac are very advanced. Charlie and the FiA are primarily looking at the safety aspects of the track in order to issue their consent. Meeting the expectations of other stake holders like the teams is quite a different issue that will take a back seat in CoTA's priorities.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WhiteBlue wrote:
godlameroso wrote:What I can't believe is that they basically finished the road part of the track in a few months, and they still haven't finished the buildings. At this rate It'll be very close, I suppose they'll finish the track facilities by the start of November, possibly sooner. The thing that surprised me most is how quick the tarmac was laid down.
The machines for laying tarmac are very advanced. Charlie and the FiA are primarily looking at the safety aspects of the track in order to issue their consent. Meeting the expectations of other stake holders like the teams is quite a different issue that will take a back seat in CoTA's priorities.
That's my understanding as well. Charlie looks at the track, and the track is essentially ready as we speak.

FW17

NASCAR will not race in Montreal next season after the promoter pulled the plug on the six-year relationship when he couldn't secure a premier Sprint Cup Series event.

The official announcement Friday by promoter Francois Dumontier ended a surprising turn of events for NASCAR, which wanted to continue running the Nationwide Series at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

"NASCAR was preparing to return for 2013, however we were unable to come to an agreement," NASCAR said in a statement.

Dumontier said he needed a Sprint Cup event to make the Montreal race profitable.
Probably another race for Austin

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
NASCAR will not race in Montreal next season after the promoter pulled the plug on the six-year relationship when he couldn't secure a premier Sprint Cup Series event.

The official announcement Friday by promoter Francois Dumontier ended a surprising turn of events for NASCAR, which wanted to continue running the Nationwide Series at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

"NASCAR was preparing to return for 2013, however we were unable to come to an agreement," NASCAR said in a statement.

Dumontier said he needed a Sprint Cup event to make the Montreal race profitable.
Probably another race for Austin
Maybe so. I've said all along that Nationwide would be likely at COTA, just not Sprint Cup. The Grand Am signing seems to support that.

Also, Joe Saward had a different take on why that Montreal race isn't happening:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/10/ ... ontreal-2/

strad

»» Another week, another US grand prix rumour. This time it’s the turn of the Circuit of Americas, which was subject to criticism when stories began to circulate of problems with the pit facilities. While it was originally rumoured
that the garages had not been built to spec and were too small for purpose, it later transpired that the teams’ problem was with allocation, not size. Rather than building 24 garages in six logical blocks of four, they had been constructed in oddly sized groupings that means an equal division of space will not be possible. As a result, the teams will have to work with less space than is desirable, but earlier fears of health and safety violations in the garage design have proved to be unfounded.
GP Week
HUH??
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

astracrazy
astracrazy

well i don't think there will be exactly 24 garages. usually the fia have one or two as well for the saftey cars.
looking at the pictures of the pits i can't see no problem...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:
»» Another week, another US grand prix rumour. This time it’s the turn of the Circuit of Americas, which was subject to criticism when stories began to circulate of problems with the pit facilities. While it was originally rumoured
that the garages had not been built to spec and were too small for purpose, it later transpired that the teams’ problem was with allocation, not size. Rather than building 24 garages in six logical blocks of four, they had been constructed in oddly sized groupings that means an equal division of space will not be possible. As a result, the teams will have to work with less space than is desirable, but earlier fears of health and safety violations in the garage design have proved to be unfounded.
GP Week
HUH??
I think I saw a tweet along these lines, but when I went back to check on it later I couldn't find it. I've heard there are 34 garages...iirc, arranged in 5 groups of 6 and 1 group of 4.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

After a busy weekend, just got around to sorting some pics I took Thursday:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Turn 9-10 GS under construction:

Installation of artificial turf in Turn 10 runoff:

Turn 10 GA area:

Artificial turf on the edge running up to T11:

T12 GS with new RV pads in the foreground:

New RV pads with more under construction. The new pads have been raised and are above the track rather than below it:

T11W GSs with downtown and ABIA behind:

Downtown Austin from T11:

Nando
Nando

thanks for the pictures.

I wonder if they will put something on the inside of corners like this. Otherwise you can cut them pretty good.
(i would prefer this way but you never know how FIA thinks with their sleeping polices mens like at India)

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."