COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

$40 Lot Q parking now available at FM 812 and Hwy 21:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C004 ... orcatid=25
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

WhiteBlue

Nando wrote:I wonder if they will put something on the inside of corners like this. Otherwise you can cut them pretty good.

They have the curbs to stop drivers to cut the corners there. If you look from a closer point you see that the curbs would be too steep to cut over them all the way. They become progressively higher. Drivers may go half way up the curbs but I doubt that you can cut them completely and come back inside over them without damaging the car.

On a totally different subject: Have you noted that all barriers at CoTA are made with TechPro? That is expensive but state of the art in terms of track safety. This track certainly is not cutting any corners when it comes to safety. Charlie must be pleased.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Hail22

WhiteBlue wrote:
Nando wrote:I wonder if they will put something on the inside of corners like this. Otherwise you can cut them pretty good.

They have the curbs to stop drivers to cut the corners there. If you look from a closer point you see that the curbs would be too steep to cut over them all the way. They become progressively higher. Drivers may go half way up the curbs but I doubt that you can cut them completely and come back inside over them without damaging the car.

On a totally different subject: Have you noted that all barriers at CoTA are made with TechPro? That is expensive but state of the art in terms of track safety. This track certainly is not cutting any corners when it comes to safety. Charlie must be pleased.
Well sadly we remember the whole Dan Wheldon Crash, And I would bet my last dime that CoTA would be sparing no expense with regards to safety to prevent their track casting the shadow that a few NASCAR/Champcar circuits share...out-dated safety systems(barriers, run offs that have not been updated with correct aggregate stone chips, sand etc and Crisis management plan.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mantikos
mantikos

anyone get their tickets in the mail yet?

FW17

AstroTurf is a bad idea especially when MotoGp is going to be using this track

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:AstroTurf is a bad idea especially when MotoGp is going to be using this track

I was wondering about that, too.

Hail22

WilliamsF1 wrote:AstroTurf is a bad idea especially when MotoGp is going to be using this track

Indeed its frustrating that all forms of motorsport have a double edge sword effect :(

What would usually be a suitable substitute for astro turf to make it safe for Moto GP riders as well as Formula 1 etc? (I'm assuming real turf/asphalt).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

FW17

Hail22 wrote:

Indeed its frustrating that all forms of motorsport have a double edge sword effect :(

What would usually be a suitable substitute for astro turf to make it safe for Moto GP riders as well as Formula 1 etc? (I'm assuming real turf/asphalt).
AstroTurf is decorative (i think) so they could just paint it.

Hail22

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:

AstroTurf is decorative (i think) so they could just paint it.
What about using aggregate concrete/asphalt sealers? (that contain sand in it) to prevent slip etc...although it will hurt the tyres immensely.

Gilles Villeneuve

strad

Many of the circuits use AstroTurf around the corners.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

piast9
piast9

Hail22 wrote:What about using aggregate concrete/asphalt sealers? (that contain sand in it) to prevent slip etc...although it will hurt the tyres immensely.
And it would hurt the biker's behind even more immensly...

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Hail22 wrote: What would usually be a suitable substitute for astro turf to make it safe for Moto GP riders as well as Formula 1 etc? (I'm assuming real turf/asphalt).
Not running off the road would be a start.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

COTA getting some paint:

Vance took this one today as well:

beelsebob
beelsebob

Heh, it's amazing the difference a good photographer can make :D

Nando
Nando

Lights in the curbs or it that where you sort stick them to the ground?

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."