Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

i wish crucial was here...he would be able to find the photos you want

alogoc
alogoc

[/quote]
If true, it's passive, not active like the RB8, which means it will be legal next year.[/quote]
how can "active" be legal this year weren't they banned after 2010?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

bhall
bhall

F-ducts weren't necessarily banned. The FIA just amended the rules to stipulate that, generally speaking, no bodywork can connect the engine cover to the rear wing and the rear wing can only contain two closed surfaces (main plane and flap). The effect of those regulations banned the generation of F-ducts we saw in 2010. But, teams are still free to find ways around those new stipulations to implement an active F-duct within the rules. That is, until next year when only passive systems like the Lotus solution will be allowed.

Nando
Nando

And that the driver could not influence the aerodynamics of the car i believe.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

amouzouris

New front wing pylon tested in Magny Cours with different camera placement

alogoc
alogoc

bhallg2k wrote:F-ducts weren't necessarily banned. The FIA just amended the rules to stipulate that, generally speaking, no bodywork can connect the engine cover to the rear wing and the rear wing can only contain two closed surfaces (main plane and flap). The effect of those regulations banned the generation of F-ducts we saw in 2010. But, teams are still free to find ways around those new stipulations to implement an active F-duct within the rules. That is, until next year when only passive systems like the Lotus solution will be allowed.
why is RB system active and why would Ferrari system be passive?
THE F2012!

Kiril Varbanov

bhallg2k wrote: I went through 200 pages of this thread, and I cannot find the picture I have in mind. So, maybe I just invented it?
Picture from Monza: http://f1zoom.fx1.nl/?year=2012&race=it ... 252&view=1 Does that help?

bhall
bhall

alogoc wrote:why is RB system active and why would Ferrari system be passive?
The Red Bull solution, like the Mercedes one, is cued by the activation of DRS. In that regard, the driver actively turns on the system. On the other hand, the Lotus system, like the one I think could be on the Ferrari, is cued when the car reaches a certain speed/air pressure threshold.
Kiril Varbanov wrote:
bhallg2k wrote: I went through 200 pages of this thread, and I cannot find the picture I have in mind. So, maybe I just invented it?
Picture from Monza: http://f1zoom.fx1.nl/?year=2012&race=it ... 252&view=1 Does that help?
Thanks for the pic, but it would be on the bottom of the beam wing.

alogoc
alogoc

bhallg2k wrote:
The Red Bull solution, like the Mercedes one, is cued by the activation of DRS. In that regard, the driver actively turns on the system. On the other hand, the Lotus system, like the one I think could be on the Ferrari, is cued when the car reaches a certain speed/air pressure threshold.[/quote]

And what is this bulge on the endplate?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conten ... 1200px.jpg
THE F2012!

aleks_ader

bhallg2k wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Anyone else notice the revised Singapore wing during FP2?

[image]

Quite a bulge where the beam wing is...Does anyone feel they may be testing a passive beam wing? (dominated by chemical fluid reaction based on pressure hitting against the beam which could either tilt the beam up or down ergo passive beam wing?).

Or a possible housing for the DDRS unit/tubes that Marc Gene was hinting at over two months ago?
Based upon what I've seen on the RB8, and the now-public knowledge that it has a blown beam wing, I believe the F2012 has a passively blown beam wing and has for quite some time now. There are pictures somewhere within this thread that show the beam wing with apertures identical to those found on the RB8, and they also depict a duct that enters the beam wing from the engine cover.
Here i explain that on page 55
aleksandergreat wrote:Image

Measurments are just ilustracion...
aleksandergreat wrote:As i show on the pic above i think whith that "venturi nozle" they will kill two birds at once:

1. suck air throw starter hole (option) => some precious downforce, but there are also drag (how much, maybe enought "little" or comparable with downforce gain? Maybe is ratio drag/downforce positive to keep on the car)? In my opinion is worth that...

2. also with that created low presure accelerating flow wich go throw crash structure hole and exit under "rain" lights make "cusion"(vortex) or otherwise "kill" big vortices in that DRAGY AREA, without big help of exhaoust gases like did some others teams (Force india, Torro Rosso)...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

alogoc wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
The Red Bull solution, like the Mercedes one, is cued by the activation of DRS. In that regard, the driver actively turns on the system. On the other hand, the Lotus system, like the one I think could be on the Ferrari, is cued when the car reaches a certain speed/air pressure threshold.

And what is this bulge on the endplate?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-conten ... 1200px.jpg[/quote]

I belive that is rear ride heigth sensors... Mclaren and many other teams commonly use this...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bhall
bhall

I think the bulges are just where the beam wing is attached to the end plates. That they stick out is because the end plates are closer to the center line between the beam wing and the rear wing.

Hail22

Heard an teeny tiny rumour that Ferrari has a similar flow conditioner that of the Mclaren for both cars this weekend? :wtf:

Also Pat Fry said 4 small updates...so front wing pylon edit is the first?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

smhasan7
smhasan7

Well for a laymen like me, the most important thing that F2012 needs at the moment is a DDRS. They showed in Suzuka that they aren't that far off in the race, it's just the qualis that are hindering our Spaniard. Guess the RedBull guys did a brilliant job to turn around the RB8 from a good car to amongst the best.

For me, they need the DDRS asap and that should ease Fernando's job a bit since he could qualify on the either of the first two rows and then race on from their for win/podiums.

And for 2013 Ferrari should go for the RB7 strategy, a fast qualifier and then on Sunday's race off from the front.

radosav
radosav

Hail22 wrote:Heard an teeny tiny rumour that Ferrari has a similar flow conditioner that of the Mclaren for both cars this weekend? :wtf:

Also Pat Fry said 4 small updates...so front wing pylon edit is the first?
Yes! But every car has two pylons , there are two cars...
So, those are four small updates!