COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

beelsebob wrote:Heh, it's amazing the difference a good photographer can make :D
Or a good camera, or good light? To be fair Vance took this with a point & shoot camera late in the afternoon with the sun from the left.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

You guys ready for the Stars & Stripes in the runoffs nearest the tower?

beelsebob
beelsebob

hairy_scotsman wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Heh, it's amazing the difference a good photographer can make :D
Or a good camera, or good light? To be fair Vance took this with a point & shoot camera late in the afternoon with the sun from the left.
No, the difference between the shots is almost 100% composition.

FW17

beelsebob wrote: No, the difference between the shots is almost 100% composition.
FoF1ATX has done good enough a job in keeping in keeping us informed over the last year, though they did not have the same access privilege as the COTA photographer.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
beelsebob wrote: No, the difference between the shots is almost 100% composition.
FoF1ATX has done good enough a job in keeping in keeping us informed over the last year, though they did not have the same access privilege as the COTA photographer.
Thanks, and that's a great point. Our photos are usually shot from off the property, while the recent COTA shot was shot from the pedestrian bridge directly above the track. Easy to get the shot from there.

BTW, here's another:

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Just got interesting news re: USGP hotels. Apparently Circuit of the Americas' room-blocking contract for ~40K rooms is about to expire or has expired. Might lead to thousands of Austin area hotel rooms being released to the market at much more affordable prices.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Just got some new photos atop Turn 1:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Nando
Nando

wow first picture just gives a much more extreme view of the elevations :)
Immense is the only word i can come up with to describe that picture!
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Just got interesting news re: USGP hotels. Apparently Circuit of the Americas' room-blocking contract for ~40K rooms is about to expire or has expired. Might lead to thousands of Austin area hotel rooms being released to the market at much more affordable prices.
Also, Vance just found this...SnoozeBox working a deal for 2012 F1 USGP? I know the perfect spot!

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2012-0 ... d.75s.html
"Agreement has been reached in principle with a US entity for the provision of 240 rooms for an events tour starting with the US Formula 1 Grand Prix in Austin, Texas in mid November 2012 and finishing with the Superbowl contest inFebruary 2013. We are working 'round the clock' to identify and be able to satisfy any additional US regulatory requirements and make the necessary shipping arrangements to ensure that the units arrive in Austin on time and with the necessary operating licenses."

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:
strad wrote:
»» Another week, another US grand prix rumour. This time it’s the turn of the Circuit of Americas, which was subject to criticism when stories began to circulate of problems with the pit facilities. While it was originally rumoured
that the garages had not been built to spec and were too small for purpose, it later transpired that the teams’ problem was with allocation, not size. Rather than building 24 garages in six logical blocks of four, they had been constructed in oddly sized groupings that means an equal division of space will not be possible. As a result, the teams will have to work with less space than is desirable, but earlier fears of health and safety violations in the garage design have proved to be unfounded.
GP Week
HUH??
I think I saw a tweet along these lines, but when I went back to check on it later I couldn't find it. I've heard there are 34 garages...iirc, arranged in 5 groups of 6 and 1 group of 4.
Teams generally get 4 garages or 3 or 2? Do' not know how 34 is going to fit/allocated

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

35 days til FP1.

Here are some shots from a new photo album I shot early this morning. :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Here's what used to be Kellam Rd. Glad I don't have to drive it:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

A few more:

It's a Girl!

But seriously, I took this photo to show the run up to Turn 9, as you can see between Turn 10 on the left and the Mystery Tower:

FW17

HOME?