Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F2012

I agree with godlameroso. Brake duct development or air ducts (as Mclaren refers to their solution) is instrumental area in order to stabilize/redirect the flow around the wheels / producing df.

I tried to find some pics of rear brake ducts.

Japan

Korea

Japan
Korea
SEBA_406 wrote:
Forza wrote:Screenshot from Saturday at Japan
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12jpn1390.jpg

Great picture, I´m always interested in the screens that we can see into garages and pitwall.

What does mean those numbers that appears in this picture?

Thanks!
Explanation from Brian Jee (ex electronics engineer).
Those are all channels monitoring amperage and voltage outputs/demands from the McLaren TAG-310 Powertrain Control Unit. We see the calibrated output of both front & rear ride height lasers and their supply voltages. Current of both fuel lift pumps. Lift scavenge pumps don’t need to run continuous, so we see duty cycle as well. 7A02, 7A03, 7A01 are wired pinouts on the PCU. Likewise all the HSD70* are “high side drivers” addressed from the PCU. There’s 4 channels, each with 2 control strategies.

amouzouris

what i can see from the photos below is what i suspected from the beginning....
Ferrari was using the curly piece on the footplate earlier this season, its the same curly part that can be seen below:

The photo above is a photo from Korea...
I remember they removed the curly part at a point through the season...i can't remember when..maybe someone does remember...

As we can see on the photo from Japan below the curly part is removed and istead there is just a reshaped footplate...

Ferrari have reverted to some older solutions this weekend with the diffuser footplate and the vortex generators below the mirrors....they probably realized that some updates didn't work and are now reverting back to older parts...

So with the new fin on the front brake ducts, the vortex generators below the mirrors and the diffuser footplate, we have 3 updates....what's the 4th one?

EDIT: good improvement from Ferrari P4 just 0.3 s behind

jonaliew
jonaliew

Could it be the RW? Did Alonso run the new one for P3?

amouzouris

Drawing and analysis on the cascade wing introduced in Japan:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... -wing.html

EDIT: Korean updates to follow

marcush.
marcush.

"Those are all channels monitoring amperage and voltage outputs/demands from the McLaren TAG-310 Powertrain Control Unit. We see the calibrated output of both front & rear ride height lasers and their supply voltages. Current of both fuel lift pumps. Lift scavenge pumps don’t need to run continuous, so we see duty cycle as well. 7A02, 7A03, 7A01 are wired pinouts on the PCU. Likewise all the HSD70* are “high side drivers” addressed from the PCU. There’s 4 channels, each with 2 control strategies."

Would you run run DA sensors from the powertrain control unit? Or display those on the same screen? Sometimes Formula 1 does confuse me .
The duty cycle of the pumps isn´t this meant to be a PWM signal used to adjust the flow ?

amouzouris

As promised full blog post on the 'known' Korean updates:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... dates.html

donskar
donskar

Amouzouris may have written the epitaph for Ferrari's season:
Ferrari have reverted to some older solutions this weekend with the diffuser footplate and the vortex generators below the mirrors....they probably realized that some updates didn't work and are now reverting back to older parts...
If true (and I would not be surprised) that says a great deal. Who gets fired?

But maybe we should try to be kind and suggest that a basically inferior design has reached its peak and can't be developed to match inherently better designs(?)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Teechnical

Heard there's a major upgrade coming for India- any idea what's included?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Hail22

Teechnical wrote:Heard there's a major upgrade coming for India- any idea what's included?
Its all rumour but three or more come to my mind...however Pat Fry did state "Major upgrade for India" which could mean more?

My five guesses:

- New Front wing (that actually works)
- New Stalled Rear wing? (DRD)
- Sidepod profile change/possible airflow conditioner
- New slotted floor (with slit/cut)
- Pelican beak under the FW? (Similar to Lotus/RBR).

These are just big stabs in the dark abyss!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

munudeges
munudeges

Teechnical wrote:Heard there's a major upgrade coming for India- any idea what's included?
There's been rumours of some 'big update' for several races now that's come to very little, and I suppose there has to be with Domenicali being summoned back to Maranello every five minutes.

Given the hit and miss nature of everything they've put on the car so far (rear wings on, rear wings off, front wings on, front wings off) I wouldn't get too excited. Like Lotus it's all too little too late really. You need several races to get anything you put on really working in the way you imagined it would.

WhiteBlue

amouzouris wrote:As promised full blog post on the 'known' Korean updates
Thank you amouzouris. Quite informative and worth a +1. I was surprised that Ferrari's "upgrades" were basically reverting back to earlier aero details. Imo it suggests that the pace at Korea was more due to the track really suited to the car than any particular development work they did.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

amouzouris

WhiteBlue wrote:
amouzouris wrote:As promised full blog post on the 'known' Korean updates
Thank you amouzouris. Quite informative and worth a +1. I was surprised that Ferrari's "upgrades" were basically reverting back to earlier aero details. Imo it suggests that the pace at Korea was more due to the track really suited to the car than any particular development work they did.
Indeed...Alonso also said that they have pretty much the same car as in Suzuka... Logic suggests that there are a couple of updates in the pipeline for months...new slotted front wing endplate is one we have seen tested....but there are probably other updates as well which we haven't yet seen and are being tested for quite sometime now because of all the wind tunnel conundrum...these parts are/have probably be tested in Cologne and will appear sooner or later...India as it is being suggested

shelly
shelly

I read on another forum that in korea massa has used a new engine, while alonso had an used one.
Can anyone confirm /rectify this?
I think that massa was running with a lower downforce level compared to alonso.
Strange to see that, as last year, it is korea where massa performs better in comparison with alonso. What do kprea and turkey circuit have in common?
twitter: @armchair_aero

diffuser

I've been expecting something big to come out of the young drivers test. I figured they would have collected enough information to confirm or deny what they've been seeing in the tunnel. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a large update in India.

Its getting late into the season. It now or never. Otherwise, we'll just be praying for rain!

raymondu999

shelly wrote:What do kprea and turkey circuit have in common?
Cunterclockwise, and a series of switch back corners (4-5-6 in Korea and rhe last sector, 3-4-5 in Turkey and 12-13-14)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法