COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Nando
Nando

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

anyone really surprised?

Home of F1 championships is Europe but i guess they missed that meme.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Pup
Pup

I assume they mean the US home, as opposed to other circuits in the US.

Nando
Nando

Still makes no sense. It´s not the only race in the US soon.

Or "Americas" for that matter. They should have simply called it Circuit of America, i know they wantedt to.
But could have been too much considering they have Road America.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

The "home of the World Championships" theme is something Hellmund came up with way back...not a claim that the track was home to any of those series, but that it could have more World Championship series than any other track. IIRC, he had already locked up F1, MotoGP, and V8s at the time and said he planned to try for FIA GT1 as well. Said he was trying to get as many of the FIA world championships on the same track as possible. To my knowledge, they haven't signed GT1 or made any attempt to since Hellmund left. I sure wish they would though. That would give them 4 FIA wc's and would bring more good racing with lots of manufacturers involved that many people can relate to in one way or another.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

Nando wrote:Still makes no sense. It´s not the only race in the US soon.

Or "Americas" for that matter. They should have simply called it Circuit of America, i know they wantedt to.
But could have been too much considering they have Road America.
As I recall the name is because it is sorta centered in The Americas..south and north...You guys sure like to read stuff into things.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Well..I told you they used AstroTurf at many circuits...I certainly hope CotA used a better grade of adhesive. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nando
Nando

strad wrote: As I recall the name is because it is sorta centered in The Americas..south and north...You guys sure like to read stuff into things.

I would say Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama would be slightly more centered.
Central-America for example.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Nando, some people think the US is the centre of the the americas, world, and universe. :)

And I'm so jealous of everyone going to this race, as for once something from the US in F1 is going to be great! And I'm so close to this state. =/
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

strad

Nando wrote:
strad wrote: As I recall the name is because it is sorta centered in The Americas..south and north...You guys sure like to read stuff into things.

I would say Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama would be slightly more centered.
Christ Nando... #-o
Sir Stirling Moss

sknguy
sknguy

lol... actually Strad, the American monopoly on the word America can, at times, be an annoyance for the rest of the Americas. But tough to change 300+ years of history concerning the word. According to Wikipedia the word comes from Americus who was the first European to explore the coast of South America (which was the first part of the "new world" to be named America). But... back to the thread topic.
hairy_scotsman wrote: Image
I'm glad the green paint that was on the tower appears to have been just a base paint. Gotta say the observation tower looks pretty sharp. Also gotta say I'm really-really fond of the layout and topography of the circuit.

beelsebob
beelsebob

strad wrote:Christ Nando... #-o
Heh, you're as bad as the idiots who assert that Birmingham is anywhere near the midlands of England let alone Britain.

Nando
Nando

sknguy wrote:lol... actually Strad, the American monopoly on the word America can, at times, be an annoyance for the rest of the Americas.
This is part of my point.

Pup
Pup

Nando wrote:I would say Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama would be slightly more centered.
Actually, the strict north-south centerline of the Americas is in Mexico, and so those countries are about as far south of the line as Austin is north of it. And if you factor land mass into your definition of 'center', then I believe the centerline would actually be north of Austin. Canada is big.

My preference is to just turn the continents until I can draw an arbitrary centerline through CotA itself. I'm offended by a Polarcentric world view.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pup wrote:
Nando wrote:I would say Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama would be slightly more centered.
Actually, the strict north-south centerline of the Americas is in Mexico, and so those countries are about as far south of the line as Austin is north of it. And if you factor land mass into your definition of 'center', then I believe the centerline would actually be north of Austin. Canada is big.

My preference is to just turn the continents until I can draw an arbitrary centerline through CotA itself. I'm offended by a Polarcentric world view.
Actually, the southern most tip of america is at about 55° south, the northernmost at about 83° north. That makes the middle 14° north, that line goes through nicaraguar, honduras, el salvador and guatamala.

turbof1

Oh apperently I registered at a geographical forum. Sorry, I was thinking this was f1technical.net, my bad.
#AeroFrodo