Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F2012

aleksandergreat wrote:1st Anyway F2012 needs DDRs sys to improve car performance...
Not sure, RBR was faster in the race too.

Nando
Nando

That´s an interesting thing.

However, with the recent correllation issues, the 54 different front wings, taking on such an advanced aerodynamic component seems like it could be the wrong move for Ferrari.

Creating a tunnel and making that work pretty much out of the box is going to be very hard, we saw how much trouble Red Bull had before they finally cracked it.

On the contrary i say bring it on, i love seeing F1 updates and this would be awesome to see how Ferrari designs their own tunnel system.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

alogoc
alogoc

Nando wrote:That´s an interesting thing.

However, with the recent correllation issues, the 54 different front wings, taking on such an advanced aerodynamic component seems like it could be the wrong move for Ferrari.

Creating a tunnel and making that work pretty much out of the box is going to be very hard, we saw how much trouble Red Bull had before they finally cracked it.

On the contrary i say bring it on, i love seeing F1 updates and this would be awesome to see how Ferrari designs their own tunnel system.
word is they had A LOT of trouble whit development and manufactoring of new exhaust/sidepod,postponing a few times!
Fry said they need to take risk now so.....!
Last edited by alogoc on 16 Oct 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

alogoc
alogoc

Autosprint article translation from another forum

What will we see in India on the Ferrari? They are aerodynamic parts and new exhaust exits to try to get more downforce to allow the tires to reach the optimal operating temperatures quicker.

We should see new front brake ducts, exhausts closer to the profile of the diffuser, a new rear wing design, new aerofoils under the nose before the raised part of the deck.

All of these parts, research began after Monza, were tested in the wind tunnel of Toyota in Cologne, the Maranello wind tunnel being unusable. If it will be possible, before shipping the material to India, we will try to do a straightline test at Vairano, but the timing’s really off because there is a real risk that these parts sent outside the normal customs carnet team, can remain in Indian customs and not be utilised for the race. Contrary to what Lotus has done in Korea that led to the exhaust updates only being on Raikkonen's car, the new parts of the Ferrari will be available for both Alonso and Massa.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

aleks_ader

timbo wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:1st Anyway F2012 needs DDRs sys to improve car performance...
Not sure, RBR was faster in the race too.
But in Q they must take front grids positions... Maybe even infront off the Bulls under pressure its much easier to make misstake... Is much easier to defent your position than atack it!
Scarbs wrote:Red BUll DDRS: having pole position and managing the race and tyre wear from the front is a strong strategy. Having DDRS will only aid the team in qualifying with almost not performance penalties from having the system fitted.
Last edited by aleks_ader on 16 Oct 2012, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

amouzouris

i've just thought of something...autosprint says the new exhausts will look like the Red Bull ones...so about half the sidepod will be changed if it is true...if the new exhausts were indeed designed for the F2013 or what the car will be called next year..then to be compatible with this year's car then the cooling configuration must be very very similar...so is this a hint the oil cooler above the gearbox will be retained? i thought that they would go back to a regular configuration for next year for a lower center of gravity and better mechanical grip..

Holm86

amouzouris wrote:i've just thought of something...autosprint says the new exhausts will look like the Red Bull ones...so about half the sidepod will be changed if it is true...if the new exhausts were indeed designed for the F2013 or what the car will be called next year..then to be compatible with this year's car then the cooling configuration must be very very similar...so is this a hint the oil cooler above the gearbox will be retained? i thought that they would go back to a regular configuration for next year for a lower center of gravity and better mechanical grip..

If the exhaust has anything to do with their 2013 car it will only be the concept wich is testet. Not the exact same exhaust as the 2013 car will have.

amouzouris

Holm86 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:i've just thought of something...autosprint says the new exhausts will look like the Red Bull ones...so about half the sidepod will be changed if it is true...if the new exhausts were indeed designed for the F2013 or what the car will be called next year..then to be compatible with this year's car then the cooling configuration must be very very similar...so is this a hint the oil cooler above the gearbox will be retained? i thought that they would go back to a regular configuration for next year for a lower center of gravity and better mechanical grip..

If the exhaust has anything to do with their 2013 car it will only be the concept wich is testet. Not the exact same exhaust as the 2013 car will have.
i don't think it is as simple as testing a concept...to get an upgrade in performance and a reduction in lap time the bodywork, the shape etc. must be right.. the bodywork is also limited by what there is below...engine radiators gearbox etc. taking the 'concept' and adapting it to this year's car would be a lot of work...now if they started working on adapting the concept towards the end of the summer then it might be feasible...but i don't think that they had next year's exhaust finalized in the summer

f1316
f1316

Holm86 wrote:

Sorry, why could it not be the same in 2013? Are there regulation changes around this area of the car?

amouzouris

no regulation changes... they are just two different cars and you cant just bolt it on and expect it to work!

EDIT: what i am just saying is that the cars must be very similar in order to easily make it work on this year's car

Holm86

amouzouris wrote:no regulation changes... they are just two different cars and you cant just bolt it on and expect it to work!

EDIT: what i am just saying is that the cars must be very similar in order to easily make it work on this year's car
Exactly what you said there ... They would have to be too similar to work. But i dont believe Ferrari's next car will look so much like this years car. If it does its allready behind before the season is even startet.

f1316
f1316

Holm86 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:no regulation changes... they are just two different cars and you cant just bolt it on and expect it to work!

Exactly what you said there ... They would have to be too similar to work. But i dont believe Ferrari's next car will look so much like this years car. If it does its allready behind before the season is even startet.
The traditional approach in times of relatively static regulations has been to refine the existing design. They tried to go radical this year and it didn't work. Seeing as they are still *fairly* competitive this year, I wouldn't be surprised if next year's car was fairly similar aesthetically.

I question whether they will bring a new exhaust concept though. I think it's highly unlikley to be anything more than a refinement of the same concept. Would kind of like to proven wrong though.

amouzouris

Just for fun, i drew the F2012 with Red Bull's exhaust layout:

raymondu999

I'm not too sure. It seems like quite a big conceptual change rather than just an implementation change, and they'd waste more time tuning it - time they could use to do up setups for a better qualifying and race instead. Of course on the long run the new exhaust would probably pay out (if they saw fit to change to it in the first place) but in the context of the current title hunt, not sure.

Red Bull of late have really stepped up their game and shown that they have a capability of relentless development - since Singapore they've brought updates to all 3 races, and they've all seemingly worked at first go. If a team with that development capacity had trouble developing and actually getting this tunnel system to work in the first place - what of the Ferrari with their ailing CFD and windtunnel facilities?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Plus one on that, i know how "long" these paintings take, not hours but still quite a lot for what is basically a couple of lines, even with pen tool.

Looks pretty cool with that exhaust i have to say :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."