COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Those RV pads are multiplying like rabbits.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Those RV pads are multiplying like rabbits.
Rebuilt the same as before, just higher, as we thought they'd be.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

mclaren777

I'm officially giving up on them announcing support races for 2012. :(

sknguy
sknguy

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pup wrote:Stepped in, or joined in? :wink:
I hate to give points to PUP but he deserves +1 for that. This American bickering is a bit tie tiring to us old worlders.
A conversation of which I unfortunately adding to with my comment. November 18th can't get here soon enough. I wanna see some racing on this circuit.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

mclaren777 wrote:I'm officially giving up on them announcing support races for 2012. :(
What we've been hearing so far is Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Cup and Historic GP.

FW17

Wish they had a bit more character to the start finish straight. The pit building and grandstand looks purposeful, but bland.

Indy had an iconic tower building

I am used to watching cricket and some of the stadiums are just iconic, unlike new F1 buildings

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

WilliamsF1 wrote:Wish they had a bit more character to the start finish straight. The pit building and grandstand looks purposeful, but bland.

As long as the track does the proper talking the architecture just needs to do it's job and that's that imo. Think about other circuits with cheesy "character", like the crazy roof lines at Silverstone or the traditional Asian bridge in Korea. :?

But considering "everything's bigger in Texas", I'm surprised that COTA didn't go down a more overwhelming route.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

FW17

mx_tifoso wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Wish they had a bit more character to the start finish straight. The pit building and grandstand looks purposeful, but bland.

As long as the track does the proper talking the architecture just needs to do it's job and that's that imo. Think about other circuits with cheesy "character", like the crazy roof lines at Silverstone or the traditional Asian bridge in Korea. :?

But considering "everything's bigger in Texas", I'm surprised that COTA didn't go down a more overwhelming route.
Still lacking a focal point to the main straight

Or even this

Richard
Richard

mx_tifoso wrote: the traditional Asian bridge in Korea. :?
That is horrific. they taken a standard concrete bridge and stuck on some silly bits of timber. I prefer the utilitarian approach at COTA to the perverse notion of vernacular at Korea.

WhiteBlue

CoTA's buildings are like an attempt of a bean counter to play architect. They obviously had no ambitions beyond having a tower like Indy somewhere. But it isn't a big problem. If they make some money down the road they can add stuff that impresses the visitors.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

mx_tifoso wrote:

Less bland = more money (which has been tight) ... and Miro Rivera isn't experienced at designing stadia. I think this is their first.

Given all of that, it's still difficult to explain the tower, which serves no clear useful purpose and surely cost millions.

Pup
Pup

I agree that the problems are mainly with the MRA designed buildings. I'm not sure why they were picked other than they are local and perhaps had some previous connection with one of the guys on the development team.

I like the pit building. They made some changes from the early renderings that seem to be clearly driven by cost, but I don't think they ruined it by any means. The building is cleanly detailed, well proportioned, and has a dramatic horizontality that fits the landscape. So I'm not sure it needs a focal point tower/pagoda/etc.

The bridges are extremely utilitarian (in their structure at least, I suspect we haven't seen the final product). They're pretty much standard DOT design. I'm not a huge fan, but then I don't think they detract. Again, I reserve judgement until they're complete.

Unlike Richard, I think the bridge at Yeongam is quite nice. Sure, there's a philosophical hurdle to get over - had you asked me when I was in design school, I'd have hated it. But the detailing and proportions seem quite well done. And it doesn't 'look' like veneer, even though we all know it is. And given the pit building in Turkey, which is so obviously phony that it looks like a Disney streetscape, it's hard to criticize Korea.

In contrast, the bridges at China, which are quite honest in revealing their structure and in their use of material, are, well, butt ugly in my opinion. Same goes for the CotA tower. So, you can have good or bad traditional design and good or bad modern design, and to me the main thing is to get the 'good' part taken care of and let the arguments over traditional vs modern be had by the academics.

Ideally, of course, you'd have a good, modern design that also shows cultural and historical influences.

strad

:roll: It certainly gets old. Not one of you picked any other new circuit apart so badly. :wtf:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

beelsebob
beelsebob

strad wrote::roll: It certainly gets old. Not one of you picked any other new circuit apart so badly. :wtf:
Sure we did... I mean, we analysed the grouting on each and every retaining wall at other places didn't we? Oh... wait...

Harvey
Harvey

Although I don't want to pick holes in the design of the circuit or buildings* I can't help but be confused by how no other circuit (especially new ones) builds their podium out over the circuit like Monza. It's not only a cheap way of building a focal point on the pit façade, but also allows the fans an unparalleled view of proceedings.

Also, can I just ask: what the frig is an "RV pad"!? Not being from the US, I think something has been lost in translation.

*I actually think it all looks pretty awesome, and honestly can't wait to see a genuinely exciting looking modern circuit.