Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Ferrari F2012

gilgen wrote:Why can we not discuss what is actually on the car, rather than start rumours etc?

Anybody can start a rumour and try to show something to try and prove their theory.

It is only natural for others to copy an idea seen on another car, and try to see how it works, but it is usually about an entire package.
1+
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

godlameroso

I think that now It's gonna be an arms race of spending into 2014 where everything get's optimized, the design direction has been established, now we get to see how far engineering craftsmanship can combine with the drivers raw talent, I have a feeling engineering wise 2013 is going to be an interesting year. If they can get to within 2010 season laptimes I will be impressed, and for one be receptive to slowing the cars down for the following season. Back on topic I'm interested to see how far Ferrari can evolve it's concept this year before reaching a developmental dead end. Perhaps they intend to push with developments until the end of the season precisely because next years car will probably be a milder evolution than we've seen in the previous years. Kudos to Ferrari for having planned for the long term.

Perhaps they knew they would have trouble optimizing such a radical concept, but accepted it as they would have the two seasons worth of stability and give themselves an advantage by having one vehicle with a wide development window, as opposed to two with narrower windows, and most likely born out of reactionary desperation in retaliation of the opposing teams.
Saishū kōnā

munudeges
munudeges

elFranZ wrote:Isn't it funny how many RB8-style exhausts rumors are coming since Amouzouris published his idea?
8)
Even if it's true it's too late now. Red Bull took most of the season to get their exhaust system working well enough.

Chuckjr

It's not too late. Ferrari have vast resources and they will give Alonso a better car. It's far from over.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crabbia
Crabbia

Also this research in this area will not be wasted for next year as there are no rules prohibiting it for next year, unlike the DDRS.

So logically if you wanted to develop one of them, the RB8 ramp (or something like it in that area) would make more sense to develop.

but judging from their confidence in their updates and the rate of development throughout the season i dont think they will bring something like this. just my opinion.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

alogoc
alogoc

Chuckjr wrote:It's not too late. Ferrari have vast resources and they will give Alonso a better car. It's far from over.
the"new" exhaust update if working good can give up to 0,5sec so it's far from over!

today again there are reports that Massa run new exhaust!Could it be the the "NEW" exhaust is really just a very differnt and agressive engine map to what Alo run in Korea?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

marcush.
marcush.

how can we know how much potential the redBull solution has on F2012? Aero development seems to be a chaining up of discrete elements along the length of the car and copying of single elements is bound to not realise the full potential methinks.
Massa was all over Alonso so if there is any truth to the story that Massa only was running development parts there is hope Ferrari is closing in on RB already.

My claim -there is no magic up to 0.5s of laptime in one update or a borrowed idea.It could be 2 seconds ,1 a half ,a tenth or a step back.

bhall
bhall

Red Bull's exhaust/tunnel solution could work for Ferrari, but not necessarily because it "stalls" the beam wing or anything else, for that matter.
McCabism wrote:[...]

The underpass is fed by the flow along the flanks of the sidepods, which in turn is fed by the front-wing wake. By connecting the flow along the flanks of the sidepods to the low pressure area under the beam wing, the underpass not only assists with rear downforce, but also pulls the air faster over the front-wing.

[...]

If Red Bull's solution does indeed create a sort of low pressure area that pulls air flow over the front wing, I think it could potentially help the F2012 a great deal if it's implemented. Based on the experimentation they've done with various front wings, barge board vortex generators and the like...

...I think it's pretty clear they're having problems with flow around the sidepods, which creates all sorts of issues. It creates drag in the form of high pressure at the sidepod inlets; it chokes air flow to the "Coke bottle," which then robs the rear wing, beam wing and the top of the diffuser of air flow (downforce); and it reduces the efficiency of the front wing. In other words, it's a real pain in the ass.

Granted, this is just speculation on my part. But, if the team can do something to restore clean flow around the sidepods, the car's pace could pick up. It might even unlock performance from all those updates that never seemed to work when they were introduced.

Then again, it may not work at all. Ever. Who knows?

amouzouris

I agree with Ben! Ferrari has been having problems with airflow around the sidepods...this is the reason we have all of those different iterations of the bargeboards...they are trying to keep the flow attached with the help of vortices....in addition..their vertical radiator layout has had a slight negative effect! i am planing to blog on this!

EDIT: I think the red bull exhaust configuration would suit the car...and i don't mean visually but aerodynamically more than the current exhaust configuration

alogoc
alogoc

Latest Autosprint magazine:redesign area under nose,fw,rw,sidepods,experimental 2013 parts!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

ecapox

Went looking for Autosprint article on the web but only in print i guess. Miss being in Italy and having all the cool car/racing magazines.

Side note: lol at the commercial for Kimi's new contract. video on Autosprint.com. wow.

f1316
f1316

Obviously they were not running an RB8 style exhaust on Massa's car in the race. That much is very clear. I'd also be very surprised if they brought one at all this season, even if the (awesome) mock-up does look a bit like the original Acer ducts.

But if they were running other new parts on Massa's car in order to test them it was a very shrewd move. No point in running unproven parts on a championship challenging car, but with a lack of testing and an unreliable wind-tunnel, using Massa's car which is nowhere in the championship was a great idea.

What's more, it's extremely encouraging for their development, since Massa did appear to have the ability to match the RB's pace, and was much faster than Alonso.

What I want to see are clear images of Alonso's car in the race and Massa's, so we can compare the differences.

f1316
f1316

OK, so what can we see, if anything? You guys have usually got more eagle eyes than me...

Ozan
Ozan

Ferrari needs to update front wing and sidepods. the air can not reach the coke bottle area without interruption.

Chuckjr

Ozan wrote:Ferrari needs to update front wing and sidepods. the air can not reach the coke bottle area without interruption.
If you look at Lewis' car there is a crease in the middle of the side pod that the Ferrari does not have.

Is that due to Ferrari using the upright cooling?

And is that why the Macca has better flow to the lower exhaust area in the rear?
Watching F1 since 1986.