COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Pup wrote:About half of it (the portion closest to T10) is downhill from the track. People there will have to look uphill and over the armco to see anything. The portion near T11 is great, looking downhill to the track.
Well, we've moved from all the area sloping downhill to half, so I think we've made progress.

Pup
Pup

New article in Forbes, mostly rehashing the Hellmund/Epstein thing, but there's a few new tidbits, like a planned hotel...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher ... wild-ride/

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Pup wrote:About half of it (the portion closest to T10) is downhill from the track. People there will have to look uphill and over the armco to see anything. The portion near T11 is great, looking downhill to the track.
Well, we've moved from all the area sloping downhill to half, so I think we've made progress.
Nope. I never said that. I said all along that the half nearest Turn 10 was downhill from the track...and you disputed that, too.

I haven't varied on that, because that's the lay of the land.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I took a bunch of COTA photos on Wednesday. Been pretty busy, so I just got around to posting them. For those who may be visiting Austin for the first time, I also threw in some shots I got at the Texas State Capital Building during my boy's field trip there:

https://www.facebook.com/FoF1ATX

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

MRA just posted this shot from the tower:

ETA: Looks like an older shot.

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Pup wrote:we've moved from all the area sloping downhill to half, so I think we've made progress.
Nope. I never said that. I said all along that the half nearest Turn 10 was downhill from the track...and you disputed that, too.

Sure thing man.
Navin R. Johnson wrote:Anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo, and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtray and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Pup wrote:we've moved from all the area sloping downhill to half, so I think we've made progress.

Sure thing man.
Navin R. Johnson wrote:Anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo, and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtray and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.
I understand you're just trolling, but if that's what I said, then why don't you quote me? Hell, I have video from months ago where I show the portion of that GA area nearer to turn 10 that looks up to the track and the portion closer to Turn 11 that looks down to the track. Or maybe we should look back at my first couple of posts on the topic of that slope.
Hmmm....I wonder what we'll see.

To be clear, are you actually still maintaining that the south half of that T10-11GA area is above the track and looks down on it?

lotus7
lotus7

hairy_scotsman wrote:MRA just posted this shot from the tower:

ETA: Looks like an older shot.

3...2...1.....BUNGEEEEEEEE!!

mclaren777

hairy_scotsman wrote:
mclaren777 wrote:I'm officially giving up on them announcing support races for 2012. :(
What we've been hearing so far is Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Cup and Historic GP.
For this year? Where did you hear that?

FW17

ecapox

Is that Mario's run?

I'd be curious to hear his reaction to driving a modern F1 car.

strad

Mario Andretti will drive the Lotus team’s 2010 Renault R30 at the opening ceremony at Circuit of The Americas on Sunday.

Lotus says that Andretti will “formally cut the ribbon to open the track by driving the opening laps of the circuit, in what will be his first time behind the wheel of a contemporary Formula One car since he last competed in the sport in 1982.”

The car will also be driven by the team’s regular third driver, Jerome D’Ambrosio, and by actor and sportscar racer Patrick Dempsey.

The R30, originally raced by Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov, is used by the team for demo runs
From Speed
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Went out to catch the Lotus (Renault) R30 in action this morning at COTA. Unfortunately the R30 suffered a mechanical failure during some shakedown laps this morning with D'Ambrosio at the wheel (engine let go, we think), but I did manage to get some phone video of it in action before that. I'll have more/better video & photos later as I go through it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lc4z0d ... ature=plcp

ell66
ell66

All I can say is its ood to back in the states and from playing the f1 2012 game i really enjoyed the track.