COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Celebrities, Exotic Cars And A Whole Lotta Noise: Opening Day At Austin’s Formula One Track

http://jalopnik.com/

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

New photo of Mario Andretti climbing to turn 1 in the Lotus 79 (via @statesmanf1):

PlatinumZealot

What car is this? Middle engine corvette?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

FW17

n smikle wrote:What car is this? Middle engine corvette?
New daytona prototype

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I just posted some of my photos from today's opening ceremonies out at COTA...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

strad

hairy_scotsman wrote:Went out to catch the Lotus (Renault) R30 in action this morning at COTA. Unfortunately the R30 suffered a mechanical failure during some shakedown laps this morning with D'Ambrosio at the wheel (engine let go, we think), but I did manage to get some phone video of it in action before that. I'll have more/better video & photos later as I go through it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lc4z0d ... ature=plcp
Thanks Hairy =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

No problem Strad...It was a fun day out on Mr. Haywood's hill. We had a lot of folks out there at times throughout the day.

Here's some video I shot of the R30 in action before it broke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG1-olVRsdA

...and check out this Ferrari 458 onboard with Mark McKenzie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Qi7yyacKEY

dren

This track looks soooooooooo much better than that sh!t-box of a track at the Indy Speedway. I can't wait to attend!!!
Honda!

Pennster
Pennster

ecapox wrote:Is that Mario's run?

I'd be curious to hear his reaction to driving a modern F1 car.
I don't think he had the opportunity to drive a modern F1 car. However, here are his comments and d'Ambrosio's:

“It’s everything I expected and more. The track is phenomenal. It has all the features that you are looking for, giving you the opportunity to overtake, while negotiating some tighter corners. You can tell a lot of thought has gone into it,” Andretti said after his first practice laps.

“It’s been a great day today. There’s a real buzz about the Circuit of the Americas and it was fantastic to get out on track to demonstrate the R30,” d’Ambrosio said.

“It’s a very enjoyable layout with a couple of really good places for overtaking, some long fast sweeping ‘S’ corners, and some really good high speed changes of direction like ‘Becketts’ in Silverstone. It was a shame not to get more laps, as an engine issue meant we were unable to continue running, but I had enough time to get a really good feel of the circuit. It’s an enjoyable track for a racing driver and also fantastic for the fans as the viewing areas are very well placed, there should be plenty of action.

“The first corner is quite special and it will be interesting to see it when people are dicing for position in the race. Austin is a superb city with a great atmosphere, and I think the city will live around Formula 1 for the week of the Grand Prix and that’s something we all can enjoy, it’s really going to be something quite special.”

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Here's some better video I shot of the R30 before it broke (first lap):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUSE_EJmmzw

FW17

dren wrote:This track looks soooooooooo much better than that sh!t-box of a track at the Indy Speedway. I can't wait to attend!!!
Indy was cheap for spectators, so why complain? It was a good track without the 2 hair pins anyway.

strad

Since he's driven everything with wheels why in hell do you think he would have any problem with a "modern" F1 car????
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nando
Nando

strad wrote:
Since he's driven everything with wheels why in hell do you think he would have any problem with a "modern" F1 car????
Did he imply that or is there something i have missed?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

ecapox

strad wrote:
...and this is how arguments are started.

I surely dont think he would have a problem with it. I am just curious to hear the insight of a man who probably last touched an F1 car in the 80's.

dren

WilliamsF1 wrote:
dren wrote:This track looks soooooooooo much better than that sh!t-box of a track at the Indy Speedway. I can't wait to attend!!!
Indy was cheap for spectators, so why complain? It was a good track without the 2 hair pins anyway.
Wait, you're the same guy complaining about the India track? Yeah, Indy was cheap and easily accessable to spectators. The only main thing it had going for it was the high speed bank part of the original track. This new track just looks so much better, like a proper racing track, not something that had a few left hand turns thrown in for good measure.
Honda!