COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

hairy_scotsman wrote:COTA to draw more than 1 million fans to races by May 2013:

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/aust ... ans-by-may
The Grand-Am auto event will take place Feb. 28 through March 3. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 300,000 during those four days.
The MotoGP motorcycle event will take place April 19 - 21. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 225,000 during those four days.
The V8 Supercars auto event will take place May 17 - 19. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 300,000 during those three days.
Has Grand Am ever drawn 300,000 actual paying spectators over an entire season? The 24 hours of Daytona gets into the tens of thosands of genuine paying customers, and no other stand-alone Grad Am event comes close to that. Grand Am may not have 300,000 actual paying spectators over its entire existence.

If someone leaves and comes back the next day, why do they get counted multiple times? This is like saying the population of my house over a 3-day weekend is 12 because all four of us leave and return every day.

I'm jealous of the people that get paid to do these press releases, but if I was a pure fiction writer it would be more interesting.

Mr Alcatraz

bill shoe wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:COTA to draw more than 1 million fans to races by May 2013:

The Grand-Am auto event will take place Feb. 28 through March 3. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 300,000 during those four days.
The MotoGP motorcycle event will take place April 19 - 21. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 225,000 during those four days.
The V8 Supercars auto event will take place May 17 - 19. Promoters estimate a maximum attendance of 300,000 during those three days.
Has Grand Am ever drawn 300,000 actual paying spectators over an entire season? The 24 hours of Daytona gets into the tens of thosands of genuine paying customers, and no other stand-alone Grad Am event comes close to that. Grand Am may not have 300,000 actual paying spectators over its entire existence.

If someone leaves and comes back the next day, why do they get counted multiple times? This is like saying the population of my house over a 3-day weekend is 12 because all four of us leave and return every day.

I'm jealous of the people that get paid to do these press releases, but if I was a pure fiction writer it would be more interesting.
Good post!
I'm still trying to figure out how they came up with 300,000 for the F1 race. It's my understanding that the facility only seats a little over 100,000 :?
I think calling Epstein's numbers a little optimistic is an understatement :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman wrote:Provisional USGP weekend schedule of events:
Say what you will about CotA, at least they found a way to make Q1 interesting.

FW17

Pup wrote:
Whatever happened to Historic F1?

Mr Alcatraz

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
Whatever happened to Historic F1?
Good question, what about that Hairy. These support races are lame.

FW17

Turkey 5.34 km - Lap time 1.27 aprox

Bahrain 5.412 km - Lap time 1.33 aprox

Malaysia 5.543 km - Lap time 1.36 aprox

China 5.451 Km - Lap time 1.34 aprox

India 5.137 km - Lap time 1.29 aprox

Austin 5.516 km - Lap time 1.38 aprox

That stadium section in the last sector kind of made the lap time longer.

First time I saw the circuit I thought it will be a 1.25 circuit, which would have been cool for spectators, but 1.38 is definitely on the longer side.

Nando
Nando

You need more information then simply the track length to find out laptimes mate.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Good question, what about that Hairy. These support races are lame.
Lots of speculation about that now. As they noted, and as you can tell by the overlap in some of the scheduling, this schedule is subject to change, so maybe they just haven't figured out where to slot the Historics in yet. I know that those guys wanted very badly to race at COTA and made 1 or 2 trips to the circuit. Hope it works out for them.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Nando wrote:You need more information then simply the track length to find out laptimes mate.
Sure, but I don't think that's far off. Maybe about 1:35-36...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
bill shoe wrote: Has Grand Am ever drawn 300,000 actual paying spectators over an entire season? The 24 hours of Daytona gets into the tens of thosands of genuine paying customers, and no other stand-alone Grad Am event comes close to that. Grand Am may not have 300,000 actual paying spectators over its entire existence.

Good post!
I'm still trying to figure out how they came up with 300,000 for the F1 race. It's my understanding that the facility only seats a little over 100,000 :?
I think calling Epstein's numbers a little optimistic is an understatement :wink:
I think the facility can hold 200K or so, but COTA has been all over the map when stating the capacity. Anywhere from 100K to 120K lately. There's no doubt in my mind that it can easily accommodate much more than the reported 40K cap on GA.

The 300K number would seem to rely then on numbers something like 80k on Friday, 100k on Saturday, and 120k on Sunday. Is that typical? It seems like I've always heard typical Friday and Saturday numbers are a bit lower than that. However, what's more interesting to me is the Grand Am, Moto GP, and V8 Supercars projections. They're saying they'll draw the same numbers (300k) for V8s & Grand Am as they'll draw for F1....and 225K for Moto GP seems pretty over the top as well.

Grand Am's combined attendance for the entire 2011 season was just over 500k according to a marketing prospectus I saw recently, and as far as I know, V8s don't draw 300K in Australia.

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote: The 300K number would seem to rely then on numbers something like 80k on Friday, 100k on Saturday, and 120k on Sunday. Is that typical?
20k and 40k crowd on Friday and Saturday should be a fairer estimate.

Mr Alcatraz

hairy_scotsman wrote:

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
bill shoe wrote: Has Grand Am ever drawn 300,000 actual paying spectators over an entire season? The 24 hours of Daytona gets into the tens of thosands of genuine paying customers, and no other stand-alone Grad Am event comes close to that. Grand Am may not have 300,000 actual paying spectators over its entire existence.

Good post!
I think the facility can hold 200K or so, but COTA has been all over the map when stating the capacity. Anywhere from 100K to 120K lately. There's no doubt in my mind that it can easily accommodate much more than the reported 40K cap on GA.

The 300K number would seem to rely then on numbers something like 80k on Friday, 100k on Saturday, and 120k on Sunday. Is that typical? It seems like I've always heard typical Friday and Saturday numbers are a bit lower than that. However, what's more interesting to me is the Grand Am, Moto GP, and V8 Supercars projections. They're saying they'll draw the same numbers (300k) for V8s & Grand Am as they'll draw for F1....and 225K for Moto GP seems pretty over the top as well.

Grand Am's combined attendance for the entire 2011 season was just over 500k according to a marketing prospectus I saw recently, and as far as I know, V8s don't draw 300K in Australia.
Getting back to what Bill Shoe posted; does that (the line I blued) mean they will count me three times since I have a seat for all three days?
I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only one. :lol: :lol:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Getting back to what Bill Shoe posted; does that (the line I blued) mean they will count me three times since I have a seat for all three days?
Yes, that's how they're doing it. It's not an uncommon method, but whenever I (often) see news headlines stating that each GP will bring 300K people here, I cringe pretty hard. Even if the total attendance is 300K, it's not going to bring 300K people here. It's going to probably bring about 100-120K. That's an important distinction that I'm afraid a lot of people looking at these numbers are not aware of.

Mr Alcatraz

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Getting back to what Bill Shoe posted; does that (the line I blued) mean they will count me three times since I have a seat for all three days?
Yes, that's how they're doing it. It's not an uncommon method, but whenever I (often) see news headlines stating that each GP will bring 300K people here, I cringe pretty hard. Even if the total attendance is 300K, it's not going to bring 300K people here. It's going to probably bring about 100-120K. That's an important distinction that I'm afraid a lot of people looking at these numbers are not aware of.
This has me thinking:
I wonder how many Austinians (is that a word) that don't give a toss about F1 will make it a point to get the hell out of town that weekend just to avoid the clusterf#ck? :D

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
This has me thinking:
I wonder how many Austinians (is that a word) that don't give a toss about F1 will make it a point to get the hell out of town that weekend just to avoid the clusterf#ck? :D
Interesting question. Doubt we'll ever know...& it's Austinites. ;)