Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Ferrari F2012

raymondu999 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Otherwise there would be no point at all in using a pedal istead of the normal button on the steering wheel.
I disagree with this statement. It keeps the hands and fingers free for other uses.
What other uses? It takes under 1 second to activate the DRS button. And then your fingers are free again.

aral
aral

Holm86 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Otherwise there would be no point at all in using a pedal istead of the normal button on the steering wheel.
I disagree with this statement. It keeps the hands and fingers free for other uses.
What other uses? It takes under 1 second to activate the DRS button. And then your fingers are free again.
Gesticulating at other drivers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But it does make sense, as you move your foot to use the brake and DRS is thus deactivated. This is beneficial in practice and quali, but in the race, deactivation occurs as soon as brake pedal is used.

f300v10
f300v10

Kiril Varbanov wrote:The diffuser change compared to the other version is fairly small, it features just new forming in the central channel. I can't possibly know just what the effect might be, but Alonso was very competitive race pace-wise.

The slot gap between the Gurney flap and the diffuser's trailing edge has been increased for that race, too, but that's a parameter, really, so alterations are normal.
The new India spec diffuser also has a wider exit. It is not obvious, but upon close comparison between the two specifications you will notice that the width of the flat edge to either side of the diffuser exit wall is about an inch narrower due to the diffuser itself being wider. The net result is more volume at the diffuser exit, and more expansion of the flow. Prior to this Ferrari's diffuser used less outward expansion than those of Red Bull, McLaren and Lotus for example.

Old:

New:

Kiril Varbanov

f300v10 wrote:...
True, there's a small change, like 2 or 3 centimeters to this outer flat section of the floor, although I think it depends on the car (MAS or ALO), as I recall seeing max width on F2012 in Singapore as well.

Indeed, other teams are already using the max permitted 100 cm width, so are Ferrari now.

f300v10
f300v10

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
f300v10 wrote:...
True, there's a small change, like 2 or 3 centimeters to this outer flat section of the floor, although I think it depends on the car (MAS or ALO), as I recall seeing max width on F2012 in Singapore as well.

Indeed, other teams are already using the max permitted 100 cm width, so are Ferrari now.
Ferrari only had one copy of the new floor/diffuser available in India. Massa ran with it in FP1, and Alonso had it from then on.

Kiril Varbanov

AMuS are reporting rear wing deficiency on DRS, which is hampering Q pace.

turbof1

I remeber that Renault brought a new rear wing at singapore that brought the same level of downforce yet when drs was activated would shed more drag. Maybe ferrari needs to look at that? I dont think it will bring that much more performance anyhow; at Budh it could indeed be a small handicap, at yas marina less.
#AeroFrodo

Dream Theater

Nice pic of the new F2012's diffuser:

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/fot ... CA/f1-144/
Last edited by Dream Theater on 31 Oct 2012, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Kiril Varbanov wrote:AMuS are reporting rear wing deficiency on DRS, which is hampering Q pace.
I saw that, but I'm not sure how much truth is in it. I'm not sure that's their main problem. If you were to accept their assertion, then why does it work itself out for the race?

I remember Lewis saying how quick Mark was through some of the curves in India, which points to better grip & more DF. But I don't see RW deficiency being a problem for Quali and then suddenly working itself out for the race.

Edit: it should also be noted the gurney flap on the new spec diffuser now wraps around all the way to the floor like McLarens does.

raymondu999

Eh? Webber isn't driving a Ferrari though :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kiril Varbanov

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:AMuS are reporting rear wing deficiency on DRS, which is hampering Q pace.
I saw that, but I'm not sure how much truth is in it. I'm not sure that's their main problem.
Same here. I struggled with Google Translator to check what is the solid reason for that claim, but couldn't really find it. I will switch into investigative mode later this evening to check again whether there are any obvious rear wing specifics that might lead to such effect, although, so far I haven't seen strange patterns in their rear wing or RFA.

But, I might be wrong, hence my post for discussion and hopes for someone with native or good German :)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:Eh? Webber isn't driving a Ferrari though :?
Of course not. My point was that Lewis mentioned how quick the RB's were through the corners. Obviously the F2012 isn't as quick through said corners. Therefore I don't believe it's a DRS deficiency as AMuS suggests. Again, it's a problem in Quali but not the race? Doesn't make sense.

aral
aral

My reading of the article was that it was not just the DRS being blamed, but the entire rear wing, part of which is the DRS flap. The wing must be seen as an entirety. And Alonso has made plenty of moves on the outsides of corners, so the actual wing is certainly providing plenty of grip.

F1.Ru

Ozan wrote:
The Moderator wrote:
Ozan wrote:any pictures about the new diffuser on ferrari ?
last one used in India on Alonso car
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ct/353.jpg
thanks for the picture, I wonder how it affects the rear-downforce, also does it have similar effect to the one on the MercedesGP car?
Position of the streak in the diffuser is slightly changed from previous version, so i think that it will help to diffuse the airflow under the car more evenly, which in turns helps to balance the downforce level throughout the rear of the car. And Ferrari also add a new flap over the sidewall of the gunnery flap and add a secondary channel in the central section of the diffuser, which helps to utilize the central 15'' of the the rear body work better. You can find more info and pic illustration in the following post.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&p=387318#p387318

And about Mercedes W03 it seems they are actually going the way of F2012, with their current exhaust layout and the channel for exiting hot rad gas is same as F2012.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

f1316
f1316

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Eh? Webber isn't driving a Ferrari though :?
Of course not. My point was that Lewis mentioned how quick the RB's were through the corners. Obviously the F2012 isn't as quick through said corners. Therefore I don't believe it's a DRS deficiency as AMuS suggests. Again, it's a problem in Quali but not the race? Doesn't make sense.
But isn't the theory that the more drag is shed via the DRS, the more downforce can be added to the rear for the corners? Therefore the more efficient the DRS, the better the set up balance for the parts of the track requiring high downforce?

This would also point to Ferrari, running less downforce in order to maintain a good top speed, getting a relative benefit during the race.