Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

F2012 New Diffuser & FWEP Analysis

Via AutoSport

remix
remix

isnt this a new FR? the first one

jonaliew
jonaliew

Thanks for sharing Crucial. Anyone in agreement of GA analysis (from an engineering standpoint)? He seems pretty -ve about it.

jonaliew
jonaliew

remix wrote:isnt this a new FR? the first one
Not sure whether it is new. I can't really tell. It might the distortion of the camera lens, but it seems like the flaps of the top FW are longer and flatter.
Last edited by Richard on 01 Nov 2012, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

jonaliew wrote:Thanks for sharing Crucial. Anyone in agreement of GA analysis (from an engineering standpoint)? He seems pretty -ve about it.
I think Gary Anderson needs to look at the Red Bull (currently the fastest car) front wing endplate because it only has one small duct.

It is interesting to read though.

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

jonaliew wrote:
remix wrote:isnt this a new FR? the first one
Not sure whether it is new. I can't really tell. It might the distortion of the camera lens, but it seems like the flaps of the top FW are longer and flatter.
I also thought the cascades had changed but then I realised that it is a matter of perspective. The cascade on the lower wing looks shorter because it is deeper in the picture.

f1316
f1316

Whenever I read or hear Gary Anderson's comments on the F2012, he seems to think they're not doing enough in whichever area he's talking about. I wonder whether:

a) the current car, supposedly aggressive, is still too conservative in many areas
or
b) he simply doesn't understand the aero philosophy Ferrari have taken and so none of the individual areas, which may work very well together, make any sense to him.

It's always surprising to hear him talk so negatively about each area of a car that is now pretty competitive. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but I'm surprised that the coke bottle, front wing and diffuser of a front-running car could be as basic as he seems to suggest.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

ABD - Thursday

f1316
f1316

The changes to the front wing pillars seem to be a thin of the past, don't they?

Seems like that Magny Cours test was a bit of a wasted opportunity, with their rivals having a chance to test after this next race.

f300v10
f300v10

f1316 wrote:Whenever I read or hear Gary Anderson's comments on the F2012, he seems to think they're not doing enough in whichever area he's talking about. I wonder whether:

a) the current car, supposedly aggressive, is still too conservative in many areas
or
b) he simply doesn't understand the aero philosophy Ferrari have taken and so none of the individual areas, which may work very well together, make any sense to him.

It's always surprising to hear him talk so negatively about each area of a car that is now pretty competitive. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but I'm surprised that the coke bottle, front wing and diffuser of a front-running car could be as basic as he seems to suggest.
Reading Mr. Andersons comments on the F2012 one would think he was describing an HRT, not the car that is clearly the second best on the grid at the moment. He has harped on the Ferrari front wing endplates as being to simplistic all season, while the current Red Bull design appears far more basic than the current Ferrari approach. I also believe if he was as good at F1 aero as he thinks he is, he would currently be employed as a designer, not a commentator for the BBC.

f300v10
f300v10

f1316 wrote:The changes to the front wing pillars seem to be a thin of the past, don't they?

Seems like that Magny Cours test was a bit of a wasted opportunity, with their rivals having a chance to test after this next race.
Magny Cours does indeed seem to have been a waste in terms of development of the F2012. The few 'new' parts they did manage to test have not been used in a race. And on top of that, parts they did try at the races just after the Magny Cours test didn't work. Given the wind tunnel correlation issues Ferrari have had, I would have thought they would have wanted to track test as many new concepts as possible.

On the plus side, the most recent additions seem to have worked well, so hopefully they are back on track with development. But I'm afraid it may be a month to late to give Alonso the car he needs to beat Vettel.

f300v10
f300v10

The appear to be attachment points on the diffuser that would mount turning vanes just inboard and to the rear of the rear wing mount points. I'm guessing that is one of this weekends updates.

outsid3r

Hi all, I've been following this forum for quite a while now, and I thought of making my first contribution.

Is this new? (I know is was mentioned a few posts back)

sknguy
sknguy

The opening ahead of the exhaust channel also seems extended downward.