Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Ferrari F2012

Forza wrote:Friday FP1
the more slots the faster?

who else thinks that there are too many slots?

Cuky

jonaliew wrote:Hmm. So Massa was running this "old or new" spec FW. The website says "The Brazilian has been commissioned to assess the new front wing side panels".

And Alonso was running the new RW. Interesting that ferrari is doing this part by part and combination analysis.
I am 100% sure that Alonso was running with new FW in his first run as just before he went out there was a scene when mechanics were removing old FW and putting new one on.

Also, Kravitz on Sky Sports said that Ferrari was trying different combinations of new and old parts to see which combination works best. He was saying that they first tried new FW and vanes under the nose, than old FW with new vanes and than new FW with old vanes...

techF1LES

F1.Ru

Autosport wrote: Abu Dhabi GP: Ferrari breaks curfew to work on cars

Ferrari used one of its four curfew exceptions on Friday morning as mechanics arrived at the track early ahead of opening practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

A report issued by F1 technical delegate Jo Bauer on Friday said that staff involved in the operation of the car were within the confines of the track during the curfew time, which starts at 4am and finishes at 10am. [..............]
Full article on Autosport http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103924
It seems Ferrari is really working hard and due to new pieces coming late from their Maranello factory they have to break the curfew for the first time. Nd interesting things is that Ferrari is already rumored to be used all its straight line testing available, so whats left for the future. :?
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Forza

There was also similar report onBBC FP1 about parts
BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson
"Ferrari have a new front wing assembly here. They have gone to a six-element front wing, rather than the five there were before. If you count them all up it's 31 elements producing downforce. The idea is to get more consistency in the downforce. I'm not sure it will produce more downforce but it will be more consistent. I also think the concept of the endplate is a little critical - they are not doing what the other teams are doing, which is turning more air around the tyre. I think that comes from the problems they are having with their wind tunnel. It is too narrow, and turning more air around the front tyre effectively makes the car wider, which will be difficult to understand if the wind tunnel is too narrow. Fernando Alonso still has Ferrari's new diffuser, with a kind of nappy in the central section, which will help the rear downforce and consistency. Felipe Massa is using one that is a couple of races old. They also have a new rear wing assembly - Fernando has a new one, Felipe has the one they raced in India. They are evaluating a lot of new parts in this session. So they are trying hard to bridge that 0.2secs gap to Red Bull in qualifying. "
EDIT 1

munudeges
munudeges

Cuky wrote:Also, Kravitz on Sky Sports said that Ferrari was trying different combinations of new and old parts to see which combination works best. He was saying that they first tried new FW and vanes under the nose, than old FW with new vanes and than new FW with old vanes...
Hmmmm. You're going to waste a heck of a lot of precious time doing that.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

munudeges wrote:
Cuky wrote:Also, Kravitz on Sky Sports said that Ferrari was trying different combinations of new and old parts to see which combination works best. He was saying that they first tried new FW and vanes under the nose, than old FW with new vanes and than new FW with old vanes...
Hmmmm. You're going to waste a heck of a lot of precious time doing that.
What do you think other teams do? The same thing.

jonaliew
jonaliew

Referring to Forza 3rd picture, is there a hole under the sidepod, below the area where the exhaust exits? Crucial do you think there is something there?

Anyways, in 30 min we will see which combination they will pick.

munudeges
munudeges

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:What do you think other teams do? The same thing.
The teams that move forwards don't do this. They have well thought out updates they have CFD and tunnel tested and put together as a whole package before they even get to a race weekend. What they don't do is put together some updates and then spend [waste] a whole free practice session cherry picking them together because they don't know what will work. Those that do that fall backwards. Even when they find a combination that seems to work they'll have to track test that.

Frankly, I find it a little astonishing given the ground they need to make up. Of course it's entirely possible that Vettel and Red Bull will have a DNF that puts Ferrari back in the championship, but from a development point of view this is never going to be good enough.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

jonaliew wrote:Referring to Forza 3rd picture, is there a hole under the sidepod, below the area where the exhaust exits? Crucial do you think there is something there?

Anyways, in 30 min we will see which combination they will pick.
That "hole" (side pod entry of some sort) has been there pretty much all season. I don't believe it's anything special.
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 02 Nov 2012, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Forza

F1.Ru wrote:
Hail22 wrote: Would be nice for someone like Scarbs, Bhall, Amou, Crucial X to take a look at this, to me this seems to be a hole/tunnel feeding the diffuser...or even more far fetched the floor.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mwv2af.jpg
Hail man the last pic is really a findings, but others are noting new, caz in india alonso ran the new modified diffuser with a modified stater hole which is already discussed here :D
This is not new. It's for extra suspension cooling. Now when you know where to look you can go back through the pictures from previous races. For example on this one from India. Image

Other cars also feature similar intakes. For example here is the Williams Image

Some more photos from ABD FP1 via AMUS

Last edited by Forza on 02 Nov 2012, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

jonaliew
jonaliew

munudeges wrote:
The teams that move forwards don't do this. They have well thought out updates they have CFD and tunnel tested and put together as a whole package before they even get to a race weekend. What they don't do is put together some updates and then spend [waste] a whole free practice session cherry picking them together because they don't know what will work. Those that do that fall backwards. Even when they find a combination that seems to work they'll have to track test that.

Frankly, I find it a little astonishing given the ground they need to make up. Of course it's entirely possible that Vettel and Red Bull will have a DNF that puts Ferrari back in the championship, but from a development point of view this is never going to be good enough.
I respectfully disagree. While we do not have an advantage in terms of data or development pace because we lost or wind tunnel. Other teams like RBR, Lotus, etc all bring new parts and they test it. If you see today's FP1, RBR was spraying Flo-vis over their FW and floor as well. McClaren were testing 2013 parts and new side pods. Also, CFD and wind tunnel does not equal to updates working on the track. DDRS of lotus was a lost concept. Nothing beats on track or "in season" testing.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

jonaliew
jonaliew

Thanks Crucial and Forza for answering the question. Apologies as I did not realize it. In me was hoping that we had some sort of RBR "letterbox" solution. Thanks for the lesson. :)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

munudeges wrote:

Really? I clearly remember Red Bull struggling earlier in the season & testing parts in the same manner Ferrari is. Heck they even ran completely different spec cars for the race. Guess you forgot about how much RB struggled with the tunnels, even taking them off completely because their CFD & track data wasn't correlating. It happens to everyone & all teams test parts in much the same way. Ferrari is no different.