Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
muelte
muelte

Re: Ferrari F2012

Looks pretty different to me... Also, the flaps are different too. Probably same concept but quite refined.

Let's hope they finally managet to make it work properly.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 02 Nov 2012, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed images that appear in the post above.

Joie de vivre

Is it my turn to post germany/abu dhabi photos of FW? :D

F1.Ru

munudeges wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Guess you should pay better attention because RB specifically said back then what they were seeing on track didn't match what was happening in simulation. The correlation was poor & they said as much.
Nope they didn't. I'm afraid you're pulling this from the general 'correlation' nonsense that's doing the rounds these days. Not that it matters. Whatever problems they did have they solved them to give themselves enough time left in the season.
As for Ferrari, they're evaluating parts in the traditional manner. There's nothing wrong or different with what they're doing.
I beg to differ, and I've explained why. 'Evaluating' parts in the 'traditional' manner is not good enough because there isn't the track time. I seem to be repeating myself.
It seems that you forget Ferrari is suffering correlation issues with its windtunnel, so the data that have been produced by cologen WT may differ from their original data and due to that they have little time for testing different combination on WT. Moreover you should not forget that a specific parts can produce different result in different track, as track itself is the major influence on the car setup and over the parts that has been used. So if Ferrari tried different combination with Old vs. New then i think it is a smart step rather wastage of time caz by doing so they can identify which setup or combination is REALLY BETTER IN TRACK NOT IN CFD OR IN WINDTUNNEL.

Regarding Ferrari's CFD capacity it is may be not upto mark as compared to RB or Mecca but they now have no other alternative, so they now depend more on track then before. And lastly Flow viz. is used to measure how much your CFD & WT data match and actually performed in the track, if RB is so strong in CFD they in first hand need not to use Flow viz in their car rather all of their updates will work right away. But as i said earlier track temp, layout, humidity, length, dust etc. really effect the parts so it is better to test on board. Ferrari now dont have luxury to wait for their CFD capacity upgradation or Fixing WT, so they trying it in track itself.

Sorry for being long and rather discussing OT. :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

F1.Ru

Gary Anderson is saying that all of Ferrari's endplate is less effective, are not performing the most important work [that is diverting airflow from the wheel, which is causing a lot of drag] but the major question is that if it is true then why all other team that are doing such i.e. Sauber, Force India, Mercedes, HRT, Caterham etc. is not able to perform better. This is because endplate is not everything rather the whole package is what matter. I would say that Ferrari wants some air flow over the wheel or between the wheel for better cooling the break duct, which is one of the strongest point of F2012, and even they may want some airflow for rad cooling and also direct some air towards the bergeboard. It may be different from other teams but that does not mean that they are stupid or naive or lazy that they are sticking with same concept for so long.

Another thing that pop ups in my mind is that people are referring Ferrari's different combination testing as Wastage of time. But dose not free practice is only for setting up the car in a proper manner. And i dont think that people in ferrari are so stupid that they are letting go so much valuable time for without any reason. Even teams like HRT, Toro Rosso, Caterham, Marussia planned their program in advance and stick with their plan. So teams like Ferrari should know what they are doing. So please stop talking about wastage................ caz it is a really a OT. :mrgreen:

F1.Ru

Different Front wing and Rear Wing ran by Alonso and Massa in FP1

Close up of the old diffuser which is tried by Massa in FP1...

But in FP2 Massa also tried the new FW and RW while alonso tried the RW without V-Cut

Some Pic from FP1 & FP2

All pictures are © Sutton Images provided in http://www.formula1.com/

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A good look at the brake duct fins & the new diffuser & gurney flap. In comparison to the old spec, you can definitely see the team widen the diffusers exit

Via F1/Sutton

munudeges
munudeges

F1.Ru wrote:It seems that you forget Ferrari is suffering correlation issues with its windtunnel, so the data that have been produced by cologen WT may differ from their original data and due to that they have little time for testing different combination on WT. Moreover you should not forget that a specific parts can produce different result in different track, as track itself is the major influence on the car setup and over the parts that has been used.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12096&p=387922#p387922

I'm well aware of the problems they've been having for over a couple of years now, but I'm afraid track time is a precious commodity they don't have.

Sevach
Sevach

One interesting as pect of this wing is how the foot plate is completely flat and connects seamlessly with the mainplane.

raymondu999

Optical illusion. If you see, the footplate is actually black - and dips towards the planes like other cars'
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach
Sevach

It dips slightly, but it's one continuous line, it doesn't go up and down like the previous version or the RBR and a lot of other cars.

The Williams has something similar since last year (now having evolved into a diffuser like config).

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:Optical illusion. If you see, the footplate is actually black - and dips towards the planes like other cars'

+1 agreed. Definitely an optical. The main plane is far from flat.

ten_marco
ten_marco

ten_marco
ten_marco

Watch flap DRS more cut

wesley123
wesley123

What Sevach means is that the footplate flows seamless into the first plane of the front wing. Unlike before where the first plane of the front wing and footplate were seperated and bend down to the reference plane.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ten_marco
ten_marco