Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ten_marco
ten_marco

Re: Ferrari F2012

The new rear wing is very similar to McLaren's. Ferrari ran it without a monkey seat. The flap is smaller on the McLaren and Ferrari than on the RB. It seems McLaren is wider in the area of exhaust channels. Look at how low the RB front wing is. The lower the FW the better the lap time is.

siskue2005

i am suprised ferrari took so long to have a short cord DRS flap, as even Merc had it since last season :shock:

raymondu999

Ferrari have had a short chord flap for a while though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_
stefan_

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting tired to see them trying FW / RW combinations for quite some time now, I can't even follow up how many holes in the endplates, grills and elements are. I am afraid that in the end all this efforts will be for nothing.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I am really puzzled by the Ferrari front wing end plates. It seems to me that they are guiding the air directly at the front of the front wheel which is just where it should not be going. Can anyone tell me what I am missing and how it really works?

Red Bull deflect the air up over the front wheel with the end plates hardly deflecting the air around the wheel at all:

Caterham have the slots in the endplates taking air from the inside to go out and around the front tyre:

But Ferrari seem to be taking the air from the outside in towards the front wheel with all the holes/slots in the end plate:
Very clear here:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The latest four posts about the curfew have been moved to the team thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

amouzouris

Alonso is using both the new front wing and the new rear wing in FP3

Hail22

amouzouris wrote:Alonso is using both the new front wing and the new rear wing in FP3
Indeed and with the new FW they sprayed flo-vis on the underside of the elements...apparently positive with clear straight streaks instead of highly spread/seperated.

Also Alonso is running the old RW (Ted Kravitz confirmed) with new endplates...so its a mix xD
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

amouzouris

Hail22 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:Alonso is using both the new front wing and the new rear wing in FP3
Indeed and with the new FW they sprayed flo-vis on the underside of the elements...apparently positive with clear straight streaks instead of highly spread/seperated.

Also Alonso is running the old RW (Ted Kravitz confirmed) with new endplates...so its a mix xD
I'm afraid Ted Kravitz is wrong!! :P i am watching FP3 too from sky! They also showed it on the tv, Alonso is using the new endplates with the new rear wing

Hail22

amouzouris wrote:
Hail22 wrote:

I'm afraid Ted Kravitz is wrong!! :P i am watching FP3 too from sky! They also showed it on the tv, Alonso is using the new endplates with the new rear wing
Then you good sir...should have his job. :o

but interestingly, did you see the faces in the garage? smiling like Cheshew cats, perhaps Cologne has been providing for once positive feedback in terms of airflow/separation?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Richard
Richard

tok-tokkie wrote:I am really puzzled by the Ferrari front wing end plates.
But Ferrari seem to be taking the air from the outside in towards the front wheel with all the holes/slots in the end plate.
Good point, those holes direct air inwards, it does seem very odd.

amouzouris

Alonso running New Front end Rear wings with the new Front and Rear wing endplates..while Massa is running the old ones

variante

richard_leeds wrote:
But Ferrari seem to be taking the air from the outside in towards the front wheel with all the holes/slots in the end plate.
Those slots have nothing to do with wheel interaction: they direct air on the upper surface of the wing, increasing the pressure (and the downforce) on that area. Also, i think (but i'm not sure) that the last two slots decrease the stalling chances of the wing by feeding it with high pressure air.
Moreover, Ferrari and Red Bull are using an almost identical front wing design, so no difference between air deflection around the wheel.

wesley123
wesley123

richard_leeds wrote:
Every team does that, only Ferrari has added aditional slots.

These slots funtion by drawing higher pressure air, or in this case better said, more air, under the front wing. The section where these slots 'inject' air into is sensitive because of the negative interaction of the front wheel. Thus by guiding air into this area they reduce the chance of flow seperation.

Ferrari are the ones who add a lot, a lot of such slots all over the wing, which gives me the indication that their front end is really sensitive to pitching and low ride height.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

donskar
donskar

Well, Ferrari's updates did change the F2012's performance -- it qualified worse.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill