2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cylinder
Cylinder

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Autosport forums is spewing nonsense as usual, can the good people on this forum explain something to me?

If there is a technical problem on the car that stops Vettel getting back to the pits of his own power, then he's okay to start P3 right?

Will the FIA be able to work out from the fuel sample in Vettel's car if he would have failed to produce a sample if he had completed the In lap?

banibhusan

Since Vettel has already used his 8th unit, I wonder whether they will opt for a completely new unit or an used one. What does the regulation say? Will the penalty be the same in both the cases?

SpliT
SpliT

Cylinder wrote:If there is a technical problem on the car that stops Vettel getting back to the pits of his own power, then he's okay to start P3 right?
Red Bull have to prove they had enough fuel to back to the pits.

Cylinder
Cylinder

banibhusan wrote:Since Vettel has already used his 8th unit, I wonder whether they will opt for a completely new unit or an used one. What does the regulation say? Will the penalty be the same in both the cases?
From what I understand, it will be a used unit, they dont have any more fresh ones left apparently.

banibhusan

Cylinder wrote:Autosport forums is spewing nonsense as usual, can the good people on this forum explain something to me?

If there is a technical problem on the car that stops Vettel getting back to the pits of his own power, then he's okay to start P3 right?

Will the FIA be able to work out from the fuel sample in Vettel's car if he would have failed to produce a sample if he had completed the In lap?
If the technical problem is genuine, then yes. He will be. But then again it depends what the problem really is. If its engine or gearbox failures then penalties are inevitable.

FIA needs a sample of 1l after Qualifying. If the car fails to produce that sample then it gets automatically disqualified.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Cylinder wrote:Autosport forums is spewing nonsense as usual, can the good people on this forum explain something to me?

Well ask yourself this question... The car MUST come back to parc ferme under its own power. Otherwise you face DSQ.
The only way this is wavered is if there is an immenent mechanical failure that would prevent the car returning to the pits.

So, to avoid DSQ you would have to replace something on the car... doing so would surely result in a 5 place grid drop... otherwise if the failing doesn't need to replaced then the car COULD have got back under its own power...

It is a nasty circle... at best you can hope for is a 5 place grid drop for a drive-train component change/fix under perc ferme.

If Vettel is able to start in P3 then there has to be some HUGE loop hole in the rules. And would be quite bad.

Shrieker

stefan_ wrote:
Abu Dhabi GP: Maldonado warns he will attack on Sunday
Malders is in 4th isn't he. Who's the guy in 3rd ? Poor b***rd, that.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

banibhusan

Cylinder wrote:
banibhusan wrote:Since Vettel has already used his 8th unit, I wonder whether they will opt for a completely new unit or an used one. What does the regulation say? Will the penalty be the same in both the cases?
From what I understand, it will be a used unit, they dont have any more fresh ones left apparently.
Yeah. I have already mentioned that they dont have any more fresh unit. My question is will they escape penalty if they use an old unit. Apparently I read a tweet that if its an old unit then no penalty.

Redragon

banibhusan wrote:

If the technical problem is genuine, then yes. He will be. But then again it depends what the problem really is. If its engine or gearbox failures then penalties are inevitable.

FIA needs a sample of 1l after Qualifying. If the car fails to produce that sample then it gets automatically disqualified.

As i commented before. FIA requires 3litres in total at the end. 0.5litres for example and at least 2.5litres that it is the fuel required to finish to do the last lap. Hamilton had 1.3litres and he was penalized.

This article explain better than me what I mean http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/05/h ... ualifying/

turbof1

mzivtins wrote:

Well ask yourself this question... The car MUST come back to parc ferme under its own power. Otherwise you face DSQ.
The only way this is wavered is if there is an immenent mechanical failure that would prevent the car returning to the pits.

So, to avoid DSQ you would have to replace something on the car... doing so would surely result in a 5 place grid drop... otherwise if the failing doesn't need to replaced then the car COULD have got back under its own power...

It is a nasty circle... at best you can hope for is a 5 place grid drop for a drive-train component change/fix under perc ferme.

If Vettel is able to start in P3 then there has to be some HUGE loop hole in the rules. And would be quite bad.
It really depends on what it is. They are allowed for instance to make certain repairs to the gearbox. Perhaps it could also have been an overheating issue.
I am certain they will avoid DSQ, provided it wasn't underfueling. Anything else that made them stop, showed up on the telemetry, which is basicilly all the proof you need.
#AeroFrodo

Cylinder
Cylinder

mzivtins wrote:

Thank you,

Now, my question is this. Before everyone gets caught up on what possible mechanical issue there is with the car, shouldnt the FIA look at the remaining fuel in Vettel's car and then work out if he would have had enough to provide a sample, had he finished the in lap?

Surely that's the key to the issue? If they find out he may have not had enough fuel.....then obviously this must have played a part in red bull getting him to stop the car and thus everything else is irrelevant?

agf1
agf1

If it is indeed a fuel issue, that would be really humiliating as they are talking about an order from Renault.

mzivtins
mzivtins

banibhusan wrote:
Cylinder wrote:
Yeah. I have already mentioned that they dont have any more fresh unit. My question is will they escape penalty if they use an old unit. Apparently I read a tweet that if its an old unit then no penalty.
Ok, so no penalty for going over the allocation of engines... but surely a penalty for changing and engine between Q3 and race start i.e parc ferme? isnt that the point? surely that is a 5 place grid drop, otherwise teams would always be doing it?!?!

And cylinder, yes i think they will take a look at the fuel regardless... a mechanical failure should never be a mitigating factor of breaking another rule... but i doubt it is fuel, its all speculation, but utterly BRILLIANT! so good for the championship going right to the wire!

AnthonyG

FrukostScones wrote:
Mika1 wrote:Lewis Hamilton, what a lap!
0.596 faster than Maldonado in a Williams, impressive.
Last time Hamilton was this fast, Maldonado qualified also at the front.
(Singapore)

A patern emerges?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

banibhusan

I seriously doubt RBR would make such a blunder especially at this stage of the championship when they are almost certain of winning it. They have been superb whole season operational wise and the rules are pretty clear especially after what happened to Lewis. I am suspecting something else.