2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
example
example

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Alonso will be ultra motivated.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Points that F1 needs to fix before 2013 starts from this weekend:

Point one: The curfew, lets define it better, or have a better definition of "Man Hours" at a GP weekend. Id like to limit the teams to taking 50 of a workforce to a weekend, with each worker being limited to 14 hour shifts. However this gives a total of 3700+ hours a weekend, however when it comes to man hours, teams are limited to 3500 hours at the track over the 4 days (Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun) with some guys missing out on a day, or even a race day with the team, they watch from a grand stand or a hotel room. However teams would be allowed 8 guys per night except from Saturday to Sunday to work a night shift.

This would make teams track activities so streamlined and encourage multi tasking. Also, the 50 mechanics and data engineers are only allowed to work at a maximum of 15 GP a season, as all will have a number on their uniform sleeve. However there will be 12 exclusions per team for senior personnel, basically those that sit on the prat perch on the pit wall, and a No:1 mechanic and data engineer per car.

If a team goes over Its hourly allowance, they pay a €100,000 per hour fine, and or a 10 place drop at the next event for both cars.

Second Point: Bloody Q3, lest cut 5 minutes off the bloody thing and have all cars with 20Kg of fuel on board with one set of options being reserved for Q3 for all cars, the cars will have to tank it to do a small fuel burn in order to make a quick lap on say the 3rd lap of a run. Or keep it as a 10 minute session where drivers are filled with 20Kg and sent out on a reserved set of options and they have to do a fuel burn before they set a fast time. Lets have 10 cars out doing about 4 to 7 laps in Q3, lets make it a punch and counter punch session where getting fuel off to set a time is key. Q3 needs to be a spectacle, not a nothingness session.

mnmracer
mnmracer

raymondu999 wrote:Possibly. I don't remember if they've broken it already this year - can anyone confirm?
They have at least once, though I don't remember when.
But you get to break curfew 4 times per season.

adam2003
adam2003

ESPImperium wrote:Points that F1 needs to fix before 2013 starts from this weekend:

Point one: The curfew, lets define it better, or have a better definition of "Man Hours" at a GP weekend. Id like to limit the teams to taking 50 of a workforce to a weekend, with each worker being limited to 14 hour shifts. However this gives a total of 3700+ hours a weekend, however when it comes to man hours, teams are limited to 3500 hours at the track over the 4 days (Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun) with some guys missing out on a day, or even a race day with the team, they watch from a grand stand or a hotel room. However teams would be allowed 8 guys per night except from Saturday to Sunday to work a night shift.

This would make teams track activities so streamlined and encourage multi tasking. Also, the 50 mechanics and data engineers are only allowed to work at a maximum of 15 GP a season, as all will have a number on their uniform sleeve. However there will be 12 exclusions per team for senior personnel, basically those that sit on the prat perch on the pit wall, and a No:1 mechanic and data engineer per car.

If a team goes over Its hourly allowance, they pay a €100,000 per hour fine, and or a 10 place drop at the next event for both cars.

Second Point: Bloody Q3, lest cut 5 minutes off the bloody thing and have all cars with 20Kg of fuel on board with one set of options being reserved for Q3 for all cars, the cars will have to tank it to do a small fuel burn in order to make a quick lap on say the 3rd lap of a run. Or keep it as a 10 minute session where drivers are filled with 20Kg and sent out on a reserved set of options and they have to do a fuel burn before they set a fast time. Lets have 10 cars out doing about 4 to 7 laps in Q3, lets make it a punch and counter punch session where getting fuel off to set a time is key. Q3 needs to be a spectacle, not a nothingness session.
Y not do a old 60min session (i.e 1995) but do it at 45mins

adam2003
adam2003

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104005

What happens if they find the fuel? will they not penalize him? Also when starting from pit lane do you have to wait for the last car to go over the start/finish straight

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

[quote="adam2003"]http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104005

I wonder if there fuel cell is like the cooling system and the weight is dispersed over a wider area for low Center of gravity. might explain why they can't extract all of the fuel.

FoxHound

If this is the case(fuel mass dispersion) then it will be an inadvertant error by red bull, that their rivals will be keen to know more about.
JET set

rssh

It is a well deserved penalty for RBR =D> now all I can hope is to see if Vettel can claim some points.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

At least tomorrow vettel won't own this race from first corner. If vettel wants to be one of the greats he needs to show us tomorrow.

clipsy1H

guys (alonso fans) don't be so happy i mean Maldonado is still there .... like i said before Vettel penalty (only hope for Fernando is Maldonado and now i say Only hope for Vettel is Maldonado)

i don't know why but i feel Pastor will do something big tomorrow

Hobbs04

you are not fair.... why Vettel need to prove us that he's an amazing driver??? he start from pit lane so if he score 1 point will be like a win.

FoxHound

Vettel still has a car capable of points. He will start on whichever tyre of his choosing, and will be able to avoid any first corner pile up. And a safety car will negate the deficit particularly of it occurs in the second half of the race.
JET set

zeph
zeph

Watch Vettel carve through the field tomorrow, and a timely SC to spice up what is otherwise a schnoozefest of a race on THE most boring track of the season.

Go Alonso!

Websta

I've never been great with strategies, but safety cars usually end up ruining them. Vettel will need to do the opposite strategy to the mid-fielders if he wants to jump them to P6 or so by the end of the race and I think a safety car will ruin this.

I was also a bit surprised by Vettel's lack of pace despite running on fumes. How much fuel do teams usually run with for a single flying lap in Q3 (out, flyer and in lap)? And how much does every kilogram of fuel add to a lap time?

zeph
zeph

I was half-kidding. From what I remember it's hard to overtake on the Abu Dhabi track. Vettel should be able to dispose of the backmarkers with little difficulty, but once he gets to the midfield I imagine it might be a lot harder.

So maybe race control will throw in a SC to get him a little closer to the action... :mrgreen:

bhall
bhall

Vettel also ran out of fuel at the end of the last race. Red Bull sure does love to short-fuel that car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELA0YOPgZ00[/youtube]