2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Websta

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

I think he could carve through the lower mid-field if he overtakes through the second DRS zone - I can't remember if we saw a front-runner in the mid-field last year so perhaps with a car advantage it might be easier for him.

Wasn't the India thing turning the engine off too soon, or was that BS to hide the fuel problem?

X-TremeClock
X-TremeClock

Regarding the engine, is RB allowed to use a new one without getting any kind of penalty for the next race ?.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Abu Dhabi for one lap uses about 3,8 litres.In lap, hot lap and out lap... that is 3 laps or 11,4 litres+1 litre for sample, minus fuel saving mods in in-lap and maybe some in out-lap (about 1-2 litres saved), that all equals to 11-12 litres for the last run in Q3.

@X-TremeClock - yes they are.They will probably use as much new/better things as possible for tomorow (9th engine +10, new gearbox +5, start from the pitlane because of setup change, etc...) because Vettel will start tomorow from the pitlane, and none of these penalties will be applied to the next race.
Last edited by MarkedOne8 on 04 Nov 2012, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

bhall
bhall

Websta wrote:[...]

Wasn't the India thing turning the engine off too soon, or was that BS to hide the fuel problem?
My guess is the latter.

zeph
zeph

Websta wrote:I think he could carve through the lower mid-field if he overtakes through the second DRS zone - I can't remember if we saw a front-runner in the mid-field last year so perhaps with a car advantage it might be easier for him.
I forgot about DRS, that wasn't there in 2010.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I forgot to say that one litre is about 0,8 kilograms.Every 10 additional kilograms makes about 0,3 seconds deficit per lap.So, the difference in lap times between empty tank and Q3 tank is about 0,31 seconds.There's no posibility that either of RBs was capable for pole today.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

zeph
zeph

Following this logic, would it be reasonable to conclude that cars with higher downforce consume more fuel?

skgoa
skgoa

That shouldn't be noticable on a single lap scale.

ell66
ell66

Hobbs04 wrote:At least tomorrow vettel won't own this race from first corner. If vettel wants to be one of the greats he needs to show us tomorrow.
he wouldn't of been doing that regardless of the penalty.
with the strategy he's either got to go very long on his first stint or very short, depends how the tires perform in race trim.
Hes starting from the pit-lane so i expect his gear ratio's and maybe even wing level to change.

ecapox

Remember guys, this pit exit is crazy. The lights are before the downhill piece. So when the HRTs pass that light vettel still has to navigate the tight left hander into the tunnel. He will be WAY back at the start. Might take a few laps to even get to the back of the HRTs.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

ell66 wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:At least tomorrow vettel won't own this race from first corner. If vettel wants to be one of the greats he needs to show us tomorrow.
he wouldn't of been doing that regardless of the penalty.
with the strategy he's either got to go very long on his first stint or very short, depends how the tires perform in race trim.
Hes starting from the pit-lane so i expect his gear ratio's and maybe even wing level to change.
Can he start on a different set of tires as well? Get himself on the long stint right off the bat, and the hammer it home with the option? It may give him an edge, as everyone will start on high fuel loads so he'll:

1. Use the Red Bull performance to get past backmarkers and midfield whether they're using hard tires or soft.

2. The front runners will eat up their softs with the high fuel load and then, when Mclaren jumps to their ideal hard tires, Vettel can pounce on the softs and try to scythe his way to win - or at least past Alonso?

I mean, if he's starting from the pit lane, might as well if there's any advantage to it. Why not just add new front wings/diffuser/engine/gearbox/rearwing/passive DRS :roll: ?

Hail22

I believe he has to start on the tyre he finished qualifying on.

Also the car has been locked in the FIA Garage overnight, so unless they want to break curfew there won't be much time to change many things at all...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Hail22 wrote:I believe he has to start on the tyre he finished qualifying on.

Also the car has been locked in the FIA Garage overnight, so unless they want to break curfew there won't be much time to change many things at all...
Ah. Pity. Considering that all of his previous qualifying times have been revoked, it would've behooved RB to switch out tires and much more, had they the time. I suppose that the set-up is well-enough as it is. Good luck to Vettel. He's gonna need it.....

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... bi-pitlane
"If they start Vettel from the pitlane then they can change loads of things on the car," confirmed Sky Sports F1's Ted Kravitz. "They could change his tyres, his gearbox and even give Sebastian a new engine. They could also change his wing level to make it easier for him to overtake."

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:I believe he has to start on the tyre he finished qualifying on.
Nope - remember he was removed from qualifying. So any rules that concern qualifying (including the Q3 runners must use the same tyres yadda yadda) no longer apply.
The car is starting from the pitlane just for this purpose - the car will no longer be in the FIA garage. (out of Parc Ferme)

Actually, will be interesting to see where Vettel feeds in, given his pitlane start. The pit exit covers Turns 1 and 2 on the circuit.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法