2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr
myurr

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

raymondu999 wrote:I think RBR will change to the 9th engine, take a new gearbox, and perhaps make tweaks to a race pace biased setup.

Rewatching the 3 races Abu Dhabi has held so far, I tried to look for certain patterns to see what RBR might gamble on.

If the race is a 1-stopper, RBR is pretty much f*cked either way as they'll need to work their way up the old fashioned way, and probably need to pray that their double DRS, in addition to the longer first DRS zone, are sufficient.

If the race is a 2-stopper, however, things could get interesting. Rewatching 2010, I think RBR could try to replicate Webber's Suzuka strategy and stop on L1 and L28(race midpoint) for new primes. If the RBR race pace is good (it's generally been at least equal-best, if not outright best, in the last 4 races) then it could see some serious points come their way. If a short early-race safety car comes out, things could get REALLY juicy for Vettel (juicy considering his P24 start).

Or they could try to go long on the first option stint and make the race a 1-stopper then, banking on Abu Dhabi's difficult overtaking scene to hold on to track position.

know some will suggest starting on primes instead but IMO it's not wise. Starting on the primes guarantees you end-of-race pace, sacrificing track position. With a slow car on the straights and a difficult overtaking circuit, this is not a very wise thing to do. It's wiser to take the earlier gain for track position and then try holding on to it.

With Vettel starting from the pits, does anyone know when the light will pop green? Is it as the guys leave T1, or leave T3?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they take their 9th engine doesn't that mean they aren't allowed to race any of the other 8 units again? So they'd be stuck in Brazil with a relatively old engine by that point.

Mika1
Mika1

The FIA has confirmed that the gearbox, gear ratios and suspension set-up of Vettel's car have been changed. Presumably to aid overtaking @andrewbensonf1
The boss follows me on twitter.

raymondu999

myurr wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they take their 9th engine doesn't that mean they aren't allowed to race any of the other 8 units again? So they'd be stuck in Brazil with a relatively old engine by that point.
No, it just means that they have another engine to rotate with. They can still change back to engines 1-8.
Mika1 wrote:The FIA has confirmed that the gearbox, gear ratios and suspension set-up of Vettel's car have been changed. Presumably to aid overtaking @andrewbensonf1
I find it very interesting that every source so far has said suspension setup - rather than setup, which implies that only suspension settings were changed, with aero etc unchanged. I wonder - what suspension setup would have been changed? Giving him extra traction for a better overtaking chance I'd think.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 04 Nov 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

Cam wrote:@Hail- Why is that in the race thread? Seriously.
Maldonado is starting 3rd and Grosjean is starting 9th?

Trying to point out that these two have a sordid past...last time Maldonado was up the field (to my recollection)...it wasn't a pleasurable race to watch (nearly took two cars off the track then subsequently took out poor Lewis).

So it has merit, the photo is merely to over-dramatize their F1 Persona's...no need to down vote me because you disagree.
Last edited by Hail22 on 04 Nov 2012, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:
myurr wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they take their 9th engine doesn't that mean they aren't allowed to race any of the other 8 units again? So they'd be stuck in Brazil with a relatively old engine by that point.
No, it just means that they have another engine to rotate with. They can still change back to engines 1-8.
Mika1 wrote:The FIA has confirmed that the gearbox, gear ratios and suspension set-up of Vettel's car have been changed. Presumably to aid overtaking @andrewbensonf1
I find it very interesting that every source so far has said suspension setup - rather than setup, which implies that only suspension settings were changed, with aero etc unchanged. I wonder - what suspension setup would have been changed? Giving him extra traction for a better overtaking chance I'd think.
Remember he did have a hefty bump on the wall just before the main straight, might of damaged not only the gearbox but rear suspension as well.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

Maldonado actually drove a fine race the last time he was up on the field - Singapore.
Hail22 wrote:Remember he did have a hefty bump on the wall just before the main straight, might of damaged not only the gearbox but rear suspension as well.
Yes, they would've redone suspension. But they changed suspension SETUP too - which is my main question.
ecapox wrote:I believe it is usually after pit exit. But I think it will probably be after everyone has passed turn 3. I have a feeling it is going to be tough for vettel to get even close to the HRTs within 2 laps.
Pit exit is technically at the red light isn't it? Does anyone remember the last pitlane starter of a dry standing start? I wanna take a look at some past examples for reference and past precedence.

In other news... Any takers?
raymondu999 wrote:Rewatching the 3 races Abu Dhabi has held so far, I tried to look for certain patterns to see what RBR might gamble on.

If the race is a 1-stopper, RBR is pretty much f*cked either way as they'll need to work their way up the old fashioned way, and probably need to pray that their double DRS, in addition to the longer first DRS zone, are sufficient.

If the race is a 2-stopper, however, things could get interesting. Rewatching 2010, I think RBR could try to replicate Webber's Suzuka strategy and stop on L1 and L28(race midpoint) for new primes. If the RBR race pace is good (it's generally been at least equal-best, if not outright best, in the last 4 races) then it could see some serious points come their way. If a short early-race safety car comes out, things could get REALLY juicy for Vettel (juicy considering his P24 start).

Or they could try to go long on the first option stint and make the race a 1-stopper then, banking on Abu Dhabi's difficult overtaking scene to hold on to track position.

I know some will suggest starting on primes instead but IMO it's not wise. Starting on the primes guarantees you end-of-race pace, sacrificing track position. With a slow car on the straights and a difficult overtaking circuit, this is not a very wise thing to do. It's wiser to take the earlier gain for track position and then try holding on to it.
The Vettel fan in me wish this only happened after Vettel had clinched the title - but by God the thinking man in me is having a field day thinking out strategies.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:
So in Barcelona why didn't McLaren take another engine for Lewis?

LHamilton
LHamilton

raymondu999 wrote:
ecapox wrote:I believe it is usually after pit exit. But I think it will probably be after everyone has passed turn 3. I have a feeling it is going to be tough for vettel to get even close to the HRTs within 2 laps.
Pit exit is technically at the red light isn't it? Does anyone remember the last pitlane starter of a dry standing start? I wanna take a look at some past examples for reference and past precedence.
Hungary 2012, MSC.

FrukostScones

no additional fuel found in Vettels fuel tank after disassembly of car/fuel tank.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:
Pit exit is opened after the pack have past. We've seen that in the past with, I believe, Torro Rosso starting from the pit lane and then taking a lap or two to catch the pack as they ended up a couple of hundred metres off the back of the pack. In this race with the pit lane exit being what it is, Vettel could be worse off than that.

siskue2005

I am hoping to see a drive similar to what MSC 2006 Monaco from pit lane to 5 th in race

ecapox

The only pit lane starter this year I believe was hamilton. But I can't remember if it was a dry race.

I think this pit exit would actually favor a pit lane starter that's why I think the lights will stay red until it is clear that he will slot in at the end. Ioi think the exit would cut out 3 turns.

siskue2005

What is the rule? Pitlane red light will change when all cars are past the pitlane red light Exit line?

andrewf1

ecapox wrote:The only pit lane starter this year I believe was hamilton. But I can't remember if it was a dry race.

I think this pit exit would actually favor a pit lane starter that's why I think the lights will stay red until it is clear that he will slot in at the end. Ioi think the exit would cut out 3 turns.
do you mean in spain? hamilton didnt start from the pitlane, he started from 24th. and it was a dry race.

myurr
myurr

FrukostScones wrote:no additional fuel found in Vettels fuel tank after disassembly of car/fuel tank.
Source? Would indicate another Red Bull lie if true :P