2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CHT
CHT

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Lurk wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
Lurk wrote:Just did a quick calculation about Vettel gaigning 21 places.

Catheram-HRT-Marussia. cannot be easier: 18th
Hulkenberg & Hamilton out: 16th
STRs : RBR little sister, easy when not stuck behind SC: 14th
Saubers, Massa, Maldonado overtook because of (forced) pit stop strategy: 8th
Webber pleased to pit: 7th

Alonso and Raikkonen did 1&2 so only overtaking were: Button, Grosjean, Schumacher, Senna.
How about starting twice from the back?
Still no more proper overtaking.

Catheram-HRT-Marussia still easy, Hulkenberg still out, Grosjean behind him at the end of 1st lap as di Resta (I forgot to write about him and Rosberg which were both behind - this is why 14-4=8 in my previous post #-o ). He overtook Vergne (STR), Senna which cost him a front wing damage... 12th.
Speaks like a real f1 driver.....NOT

siskue2005

Teechnical wrote:If Alonso doesn't win this WDC, it's alright, this is life, --- happens. ALOT.

I could say that after Massa drove flawlessly in Brazil of 2008, he truly deserved to be champion. But luck was against him, it went Hammy's way. That was a sad moment to see Massa lose, really upsetting. But referring to my above statement again, --- happens. ALOT.
Glad to see some sensible Alonso fans here
Pleasure to meet you :)
May the best man win

Cylinder
Cylinder

CHT wrote:
I think the first question is to ask yourself if you have any f1 racing experience to make a fair judgement of what you see on cable tv.
On T.V today I saw Alonso Overtake

Button (on the SAME tyres, not fresh softs when button was on mediums)
Webber
Maldonaldo (fastest car on the straights after Q3 according to the speed traps I believe)

Who did Vettel Overtake on track today?

Simple Question.

CHT
CHT

Cylinder wrote:
CHT wrote:
I think the first question is to ask yourself if you have any f1 racing experience to make a fair judgement of what you see on cable tv.
On T.V today I saw Alonso Overtake

Button (on the SAME tyres, not fresh softs when button was on mediums)
Webber
Maldonaldo (fastest car on the straights after Q3 according to the speed traps I believe)

Who did Vettel Overtake on track today?

Simple Question.

Watch the replay. Vettel car number is 1.

And do note that what you see on screen is only part of the race.
Last edited by CHT on 04 Nov 2012, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Teechnical

siskue2005 wrote:
Teechnical wrote:If Alonso doesn't win this WDC, it's alright, this is life, --- happens. ALOT.

I could say that after Massa drove flawlessly in Brazil of 2008, he truly deserved to be champion. But luck was against him, it went Hammy's way. That was a sad moment to see Massa lose, really upsetting. But referring to my above statement again, --- happens. ALOT.
Glad to see some sensible Alonso fans here
Pleasure to meet you :)
May the best man win

@mods, sorry for the language. :oops: :oops:

I still think Alonso deserves this championship more than anyone else. However, if Hamilton didn't have the failures, he would've definitely won, and deserved it.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Intego

Question: Where was the superb pass against stronger drivers/cars from Alonso?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:Watch the replay. Vettel car number is 1.
So you can't name the on track overtakes at all then...

myurr
myurr

Intego wrote:Question: Where was the superb pass against stronger drivers/cars from Alonso?
Well he overtook Button and Maldonado. He only had two other drivers ahead of him...

Ray

CHT wrote:I think the first question is to ask yourself if you have any f1 racing experience to make a fair judgement of what you see on cable tv.
So you have to be a professional athlete to commentate on performances now? :lol: That's an incredibly funny joke. I suppose ALL commentators without racing experience don't have any reason to formulate an opinion? :roll:

Vettel was nothing more than incredibly lucky, any criticism on the circumstances of race events, and relevant criticisms of driver performance are valid. We aren't allowed to call drivers that crash idiots? I thought people loved to point out exactly what Maldonado was doing wrong, or how Button sucks completely, not to mention how badly Massa is doing compared to Alonso? None of that is relevant because none of us have driven and F1 car? Really?

Vettel drove a decent race, but two safety cars are the only reason he was on the podium.

The answer to your question is yes. Having direct experience is not needed to see blatant mistakes.

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:
Go download the live timing and you should be able to get all the answer you need.

siskue2005

myurr wrote:
Intego wrote:Question: Where was the superb pass against stronger drivers/cars from Alonso?
Well he overtook Button and Maldonado. He only had two other drivers ahead of him...
Maldonado ? Top driver? :lol: you must be joking

CHT
CHT

Ray wrote:
CHT wrote:I think the first question is to ask yourself if you have any f1 racing experience to make a fair judgement of what you see on cable tv.
So you have to be a professional athlete to commentate on performances now? :lol: That's an incredibly funny joke. I suppose ALL commentators without racing experience don't have any reason to formulate an opinion? :roll:

Vettel was nothing more than incredibly lucky, any criticism on the circumstances of race events, and relevant criticisms of driver performance are valid. We aren't allowed to call drivers that crash idiots? I thought people loved to point out exactly what Maldonado was doing wrong, or how Button sucks completely, not to mention how badly Massa is doing compared to Alonso? None of that is relevant because none of us have driven and F1 car? Really?

Vettel drove a decent race, but two safety cars are the only reason he was on the podium.

The answer to your question is yes. Having direct experience is not needed to see blatant mistakes.

After the first safety car vettel was still at the back and after the 2nd safety car he gain one place. And your point is?

Cylinder
Cylinder

CHT wrote:
myurr wrote:
Go download the live timing and you should be able to get all the answer you need.

So to clarify.

You cannot name the overtakes made by Vettel today on top drivers?

Come back when you can give me a straight answer.

Sebastian "Phantom of the Overtakes" Vettel, storms through the field with one of the most amazing drives ever seen......except nobody in the world has any footage of great overtakes on any top drivers....

Strange that isn't it?

:roll:

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:After the first safety car vettel was still at the back and after the 2nd safety car he gain one place. And your point is?
He also gained 35 seconds and got to change his tyres and nose cone. Your answers just belie your lack of understanding of how this race panned out. And you can't even name all these great overtakes Vettel made, despite hating on everyone else calling him lucky.

It was strategy, and most of that came down to luck thanks to Seb's mistake behind the safety car, and the two safety cars closing up the field that gained Vettel all the places and let him even try for the overtake on Button. With that strategy he ended up always having a tyre advantage over the people he was racing. Even then the majority of the places he gained was through incident or overtaking whilst people were in the pit lane.

It was a solid drive with a huge dollop of luck that led to the raw figures you keep yelling about flattering Vettel.

CHT
CHT

Cylinder wrote:
CHT wrote:
myurr wrote:

So to clarify.

You cannot name the overtakes made by Vettel today on top drivers?

:roll:
Dude go read the lap chart it will give you a more accurate and unbiased info.