COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

CHT
CHT

Re: COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

mx_tifoso wrote:But the advantage that this circuit has is that it will get plenty of use, unlike Korea and others that have zero activity outside of F1.
Will Motogp be using this track as well?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yes sir, in April 2013.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Here are the official road closures surrounding the USGP at COTA:

...and here's a map of them from the Statesman:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

This morning I posted a bunch of photos from the Formula Run (Thanks WilliamsF1 for posting my tunnel photo):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Temporary Team Buildings in the Paddock behind the Pit Building:

Medical Center:

Work resumed Saturday on the T1 GS:

Pit Lane:

East end of the Pit Building:

Looking from the start line back to the Main GS:

Looking from P1 on the starting grid up toward T1:

Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 06 Nov 2012, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Up Turn 8 to the Turn 9 GS:

Construction along the Longhorn Straight:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Last set, but there are lot more at the link above...

Construction at the stadium complex:

Turn 3 pedestrian crossover & GS:

Turn 13 spectator suites:

Crossing under the Longhorn Straight:

Turn 19-20 temporary hospitality buildings:

Mr Alcatraz

Hairy,
I have my tickets, including parking and my arrangements for my ride on the three seater at "The Driveway" I was told I was getting premium tickets either T1 or T15, I would have preferred having T1 but I was given T15 row 25 in the Stadium I question how premium this view really is. Do you have any insight into this vantage point? Thanks
See ya''awl boys there :D
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Hairy,
I have my tickets, including parking and my arrangements for my ride on the three seater at "The Driveway" I was told I was getting premium tickets either T1 or T15, I would have preferred having T1 but I was given T15 row 25 in the Stadium I question how premium this view really is. Do you have any insight into this vantage point? Thanks
From Turn 15 you will likely be able to see all of the stadium section (of course), all the way back to T11, and the cars climbing up and over the hill between 8 and 10. The T1 GS is not at the top of the hill, so the view looks a bit limited. From what I've heard, it is, and that's why the T1 GS did not sell well, leading to it's reduction by a couple of sections. It looks like you'll really only be able to see the cars from 20 until they disappear around turn 1.

Given the choice of the 2, I'd honestly take T15.

Disclaimer: this is merely an educated guess. I've not been in any GSs.

Mr Alcatraz

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:Hairy,
From Turn 15 you will likely be able to see all of the stadium section (of course), all the way back to T11, and the cars climbing up and over the hill between 8 and 10. The T1 GS is not at the top of the hill, so the view looks a bit limited. From what I've heard, it is, and that's why the T1 GS did not sell well, leading to it's reduction by a couple of sections. It looks like you'll really only be able to see the cars from 20 until they disappear around turn 1.

Given the choice of the 2, I'd honestly take T15.

Disclaimer: this is merely an educated guess. I've not been in any GSs.
They were chosen for me by the FIA so I never had a choice They had said that the package I got for being a major donor to Boys Town of Southern Nevada for two is worth Ten Large !!

jdlive
jdlive

It's too late for this year but I hope they plant some trees or put whatever things next to the track. It looks very bald now, even worse than Korea. Not fun to watch races on, neither live nor on tv. Track doesn't look great neither when Andretti drove around it.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

strad

jdlive wrote:It's too late for this year but I hope they plant some trees or put whatever things next to the track. It looks very bald now, even worse than Korea. Not fun to watch races on, neither live nor on tv. Track doesn't look great neither when Andretti drove around it.
Yep,,,Just awful. Thank You for your input.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Mr Alcatraz

strad wrote:
jdlive wrote:It's too late for this year but I hope they plant some trees or put whatever things next to the track. It looks very bald now, even worse than Korea. Not fun to watch races on, neither live nor on tv. Track doesn't look great neither when Andretti drove around it.
Yep,,,Just awful. Thank You for your input.
And the wall, that ungodly free stack wall, what a sham, I hate my country....and ....ah.........um........my PC for this :lol:

Richard
Richard

HS - Have you got a pic of what Elroy Rd looks like now?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

richard_leeds wrote:HS - Have you got a pic of what Elroy Rd looks like now?
No photo, but I can tell you it's been leveled & resurfaced (only portions feeding track entrances). No widening or improved shoulders.

The County also did the same to McAngus Road. The only roads getting enhanced capacity are Kellam and FM812. As we speak, Kellam is being extended to Pearce Lane and widened to 3 lanes. On FM 812, turn lanes were added at the entrance and it was re-striped with narrower main lanes and wider shoulders which will serve as 3rd and 4th lanes on event days. A portion of 812 was also resurfaced recently.

Pup
Pup

Mr Alcatraz wrote:And the wall, that ungodly free stack wall, what a sham, I hate my country
And rightfully so. As Mr. Jefferson said, "History will not judge the greatness of our nation by its actions, but rather by its architecture."