Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Intego

Re: Ferrari F2012

Maybe it's the opposite. When the car is lightweight and the DRS is open, the back lifts and then the diffusor stalls, whereas under load (weight and DF) the airflow is attached again, but not as fast as DRS is closed.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Hail22

Going to take a flick back to Abu Dhabi.

If the Rear wing only provided a small advancement instead in full, what is missing? (is it the re-attachment of airflow upon closure of the DRS unit?)

Upon looking at previous photos the Front-wing seemed to have a constant and straight stream of lines (via flow vis) so if there is no seperation/splatter that technically means the FW works...correct?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

f1316
f1316

Hail22 wrote:Going to take a flick back to Abu Dhabi.

If the Rear wing only provided a small advancement instead in full, what is missing? (is it the re-attachment of airflow upon closure of the DRS unit?)

Upon looking at previous photos the Front-wing seemed to have a constant and straight stream of lines (via flow vis) so if there is no seperation/splatter that technically means the FW works...correct?
Massa said the front wing worked as expected but the rear wing only half what was expected; but yeah, front wing, apparently, worked fine.

I do think that providing an article - and a Google translation which was very helpful - from La Gazzetta dello Sport which discusses some technical features on the car has some validity. It is a respected newspaper. It's not the same as saying "this guy I know who has an inside line says they're going to have a rocket booster in the next race"; that's where it is completely pointless.

Richard
Richard

The rumour spam has been deleted - ie repeated posting of links to media sites without any attempt at discussion or constructive contribution to the forum.

diffuser

f1316 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Going to take a flick back to Abu Dhabi.

Massa said the front wing worked as expected but the rear wing only half what was expected; but yeah, front wing, apparently, worked fine.

Glad you brought this up. On the previous page they went on with this interesting analysis from Gary Anderson but in 1 sentence Massa says the problem is the backend. I'm not sure what to make of Gary's comments. I'm leaning to them just taking up space.

Pierce89

gilgen wrote:
I think that Andersons thoughts are just as valid, if not more so, than many of the aero experts here.
It is very easy to sit behind a keyboard and pronounce that all the highly paid aero experts at Ferrari are wrong. But funny, they are the ones that are being paid by Ferrari.
Some of us here actually study aeronautical engineering(I haven't graduated yet, but I'm fairly deep into it), I personally find Gary's aero analysis to be a mixed bag. Some things make sense while others don't. When I looked Gary up on Wiki, it didn't mention his schooling so I'm unsure on his education, but I'll defer to him on vehicle dynamics. In aero, however, I do find some of his explanations "lacking" to say the least.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Intego

Pierce89 wrote:In aero, however, I do find some of his explanations "lacking" to say the least.
Maybe he has the "RTL" gene. The commentators know their audience is dumb and can't imagine f1 fans aren't ... :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

shelly
shelly

Pierce89 wrote:
gilgen wrote:
I think that Andersons thoughts are just as valid, if not more so, than many of the aero experts here.
It is very easy to sit behind a keyboard and pronounce that all the highly paid aero experts at Ferrari are wrong. But funny, they are the ones that are being paid by Ferrari.
Some of us here actually study aeronautical engineering(I haven't graduated yet, but I'm fairly deep into it), I personally find Gary's aero analysis to be a mixed bag. Some things make sense while others don't. When I looked Gary up on Wiki, it didn't mention his schooling so I'm unsure on his education, but I'll defer to him on vehicle dynamics. In aero, however, I do find some of his explanations "lacking" to say the least.
I agree with you.
twitter: @armchair_aero

.poz
.poz

f300v10 wrote: I also have difficulty following his logic. In qualifying, the car has minimum fuel and max use of DRS. Both of these would tend to raise the floor of the car, and thus reduce the tendency of the diffuser to stall. Conversely at the start of the race with max fuel and no DRS, the car would be at its lowest and the diffuser should then stall the most.
maybe: open drs -> rear lift -> more rake -> diffuser stall/leak ?

Intego

Sometimes I feel unheard ... :(
Intego wrote:Maybe it's the opposite. When the car is lightweight and the DRS is open, the back lifts and then the diffusor stalls, whereas under load (weight and DF) the airflow is attached again, but not as fast as DRS is closed.

Hail22

Intego wrote:Sometimes I feel unheard ... :(
Intego wrote:Maybe it's the opposite. When the car is lightweight and the DRS is open, the back lifts and then the diffusor stalls, whereas under load (weight and DF) the airflow is attached again, but not as fast as DRS is closed.
I've heard you before mate, don't you worry :)

On the point of Idiada it seems a few agencies are reporting it...however nothing tangible/credible just yet...omnicourse and a lot of the Spanish media may be getting a wee bit excited.

Although logically speaking that would be the appropriate course of action considering after COTA its straight to Brazil?

Anyways on the point of what "we know" I would like to hope Bhall or someone may be able to pen up a rough drawing of the current Rear wing with the issue that we were talking about (Flow seperation/reattachment after the DRS unit has been shut).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Hail22 wrote:
Intego wrote:Sometimes I feel unheard ... :(
I've heard you before mate, don't you worry :)

On the point of Idiada it seems a few agencies are reporting it...however nothing tangible/credible just yet...omnicourse and a lot of the Spanish media may be getting a wee bit excited.
Gazzetta is reporting on the last straightline aero test, so it's definitely legit. The only question is how much can Ferrari improve the F2012 in comparison to the RB8.

Intego

I think there's no way around developing the RB-style DDRS, even for only two races.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Intego wrote:I think there's no way around developing the RB-style DDRS, even for only two races.
Are you saying they must develop RBR style DDRS to compete(win)? While that would be nice I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Look at the McLaren.

Gazzetta says Ferrari will concentrate on the RW & DRS issues in the test. Lets see if they fix the raw one lap pace.

Intego

They have one of the fastest race pace and need to improve in qualifying. The easiest way to do this is the DDRS.