MM-Duct: All secrets and components in detail

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
diegocano
diegocano

MM-Duct: All secrets and components in detail

Just a few months ago that is published in caranddriverthef1.com a preview of a system that promised numerous aerodynamic advantages in the F1 cars, the Motion Multi-Duct.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJybR-uWTUc[/youtube]

Due to the complexity of the system, its creator, Diego Cano Zuriguel, decided to wait to post the entire system up be able to explain in detail the operation of all their components. The result is this 15 minute video that is will try to expand on this article.

(Right click/View image) for view images to 1280x720

What is the funtion of the MM-Duct?

The MM-Duct function is to collect one or more flows of air, of one or more inlets of the car and eject it in different areas of the same if it is in straights, or in braking, cornering left, right curves, etc..

What are the benefits?

The ability to vary any aerodynamic zone the car according to this perform any maneuvers.

Is it legal?

No moving parts, not used the DRS, and is not operated by the pilot, therefore, should be completely legal for the 2013 season.

MM-DUCT OPERATION

1. AIR INLET

- From any inlet or inlets of the car, is collected airflow.

- This airflow is channeled to the entrance of system through a duct and reaches the first component, the "Filter 1".

2. FILTER 1

- The airflow is reorganized by this component, slows down and creates a uniform exit in velocity, pressure and direction to
prepare for entry to the next component, the "Module 1". (In this way we eliminate any problem of wind on track or turbulences of other cars, the main problem of the previous system, the W-Duct).

3. MODULE 1

- The uniform and centred airflow that reaches to the "Module 1" is deflected proportionally in the opposite direction of
lateral displacement the car (really deviates the car,and not the airflow).

- Then, to prevent turbulences, and that the airflow sticking to the walls of the module (by a known aerodynamic effect), for improving accuracy and reducing the dimensions of the module, this air flow is deflected in the opposite direction.

- To the end of "Module 1" there are 5 outlets :

- 1 Outlet for straights.
                 - 1 Outlet for left corners.
                 - 1 Outlet for right corners.
                 - 2 Intermediate outlets to the cockpit.

- The airflow enters the corresponding outlet in proportional manner and without mingling thanks to two intermediate outputs that send extra airflow to the cockpit.

- The airflow that entering in the outlets for left and right corners is sent to the front wing.

- The airflow that entering in the straights output is sent through a conduit to the "Filter 2".

4. FILTER 2

- In the same way that "Filter 1", this component again rearranges the airflow inlet to prepare it for the next component, the "Module 2".

5. MODULE 2

- The uniform and centering airflow that reaches to the "Module 2" is deflected proportionally to the longitudinal displacement the car. In accelerations airflow is deflected backwards, and in braking, because of fast deceleration and the design of this module, is deflected forward.

- To the end of "Module 2" there are 3 outlets:

- 1 Outlet for acceleration in straights
                 - 1 Outlet for braking in straights.
                 - 1 Intermediate output to cockpit.

- The airflow enters the corresponding output in proportional manner and without mingling thanks the intermediate output that sent extra airflow to the cockpit.

- The airflow that entering in the outputs for acceleration and braking in straights, in this case is sent to the front wing.

6. COCKPIT

- The airflow of the 3 outputs to the cockpit (two from "Module 1" and one from the "Module 2") are sent through ducts to a special piece where they are concentrated without mingling.

- From this piece are channeled by a triple duct.

- And finally are expanded and expelled into the cockpit separately through a diffuser designed for this purpose.

7. OUTLET DIFFUSERS

- The airflow of outputs for left and right corners of the "Module 1" and outputs for acceleration and braking in straights of the "Module 2" are sent through a series of ducts up to the "Outlet diffusers", located in this case in the front wing:

The outlet for left corners is sent through a duct up the "Outlet diffuser for left corners"
The outlet for right corners is sent through another duct up the "Outlet diffuser for right corners"
The outlet for acceleration in straights is split into two equal parts and sent to two "Outlet diffusers for acceleration in straights"
The outlet for braking in straights also is split into two equal parts and sent to two "Outlet diffusers for braking in straights"

- The airflow reaches each these "Outlet diffusers" by one of its sides and through a series of channels and porous materials manages to divert its direction 90 degrees and expands in the entire length of the diffuser before ejecting it into the given zone.

- These "Outlet diffusers' create aerodynamic effects similar to the "boundary layer blowers" used in aeronautics.

RESULTS

"Acceleration in straights"

- The two "Outlet diffusers for acceleration in straights" expel the airflow under the front wing toward the asphalt (near the leading edge of the second wing, toward the trailing edge of the first wing), breaking the boundary layer and creating a effect similar to F-Duct, subtracting downforce and at the same time the drag, allowing to car gain some top speed.

"Braking in straights"

- The two "Outlet diffusers for braking in straights" expel airflow under the surface of the front wing (on the intrados of the first wing towards its trailing edge), accelerating the airflow velocity under the first wing and increasing downforce under braking,reducing slightly the braking distance.

"Left corners"

- The "Outlet diffuser for left corners" expels airflow under the surface of the left side of the front wing (on the intrados of the second wing left towards its trailing edge) increasing airflow speed under side left front wing and increasing the downforce in this area. According to the flexibility of the front wing, one can reduce the distance to the ground in this side, since the left front wing is distanced considerably of ground in left corners and vice versa.

"Right corners"

- The "Outlet diffuser for right corners" behaves like that the "Outlet diffuser for left corners" but on the right side of the front wing.

OTHERS CONFIGURATIONS

The MM-Duct configuration presented in this article is only one of many possible:

-The system can include, from a unique outlet for acceleration in straights, up to six, be adding to the four standard outlets, one output for braking in left corners and one for braking in right corners, adding 2 additional modules.

-Could work together on front and rear wings, on the diffuser, or any area or aerodinamic surface.

-This system also It can be adapted to many types of vehicles and use multiple simultaneous systems to multiply their effects.

-The length of the MM-Duct support within the nose may be reduced to half by placing the "Module 2" under the "Module 1" (is designed thereby for show better its operation).

In any case, may it would make sense to start by a easier system, with one unique outlet for accelerations in straight, and go slowly adding other options when its operation would safe and efficient.

Although this system can not be tested in the wind tunnel, it can be proved in a completely secure on track, by sending all outlets to the cockpit and finishing the job with the CFD, using the data adquired for several sensors in each of these outputs.

Still is necessary much work to correlate all of these components with the aerodynamic of a specific car, but maybe this concept or any of its components could be interesting for some teams. It is also certain that would necessary solve many problems that would arise in its development, but certainly for its developer would this the most stimulating part of all.

caranddriverthef1 article:
http://www.caranddriverthef1.com/formul ... alle-video

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

Re: MM-Duct: All secrets and components in detail

what i don't get is: why does the air change direction in the modul 1, though it has a uniform exit in velocit through the filter1 ?

bucker
bucker

You need angle of steering wheel, gas and brake pedal. All those things are operated by driver in my view its illegal

variante

sounds very interesting, but i have some perplexities, for example the reaction time of the system: these ducts respond indirectly to driver's inputs, right? however it needs time to direct the flow to the right duct and to let the flow attach to the wing from a situation of stall... so, will the system be able to respond in time to very different and fast driver's inputs? If it isn't, it would compromise driver's confidence and even safety.

Also, the components showed here are extremely small: will the air flowing inside them mantain the necessary conditions (boundary layers,...)?

The whole system seems a bit "unstable" to work in real life as predicted by simulations.

And NO, the system is not illegal. If you want i'll try to tell you why (and how it actually works).

bucker
bucker

I agree its very interesting system, but driver needs to do some work (turning the wheel and pressing pedals), otherwise wont work. I'm comparing this with Lotus system last year at young driver test, when they have some braking thing. it wasnt operated by driver but it was illegal.

piast9
piast9

And I doubt that the amount of air that would be able to flow through such long and thin tubes would be way too small to alter the car's aerodynamics in a significant way.

I also don't get the idea of Module 1. How the car lateral movement would affect the airflow inside it?

diegocano
diegocano

pascaljackson wrote:what i don't get is: why does the air change direction in the modul 1, though it has a uniform exit in velocit through the filter1 ?
This is because when the airflow would be deviant to left or to right in the first corner, the airflow would be remain adhered to lateral walls of Module 1 (due to boundary layer effect), and it not would take off up in a long time, although car turn a intense corner in the opposite direction. Diverting again the airflow, is always free into the Module 1. I've simulated many times this other optión ever with negative results.

variante

bucker wrote:I'm comparing this with Lotus system last year at young driver test, when they have some braking thing. it wasnt operated by driver but it was illegal.
If i remember correctly, Lotus system was meant to modify passively but DIRECTLY the hight of the car, which you can't do. This new system acts indirectly.
piast9 wrote:I also don't get the idea of Module 1. How the car lateral movement would affect the airflow inside it?
If i am right, it should work more or less like this:
_The air cleaned from any turbulence goes into module 1 (and 2... the principle is the same).
_The duct bringing the air in the module ends with a shape similar to this: ) air (.
_The air flowing between the "parenthesis" is quite unstable, which means that it is in a situation where it stalls with the "parentesis", but when subject to transverse forces it attaches to one of the parenthesis (mostly thanks to Coanda Effect).

So, let's suppose that we are going straight with no acceleration (=no forces); in this case the air simply keeps going straight in the module 1, stalling with the parenthesis, like this: ) air (
Now, let's suppose we are turning: the air is subject to a transverse acceleration (that in Formula1 goes up to 5g, or 50m/s^2); therefore the air is pushed to one of the parenthesis, where it atthaches and creates the Coanda phenomenon, and remains stalled with the other. Like this: ) air( or this: )air (
Basically, the stronger the force, the stronger the Coanda, the larger the deviation.

diegocano
diegocano

bucker wrote:You need angle of steering wheel, gas and brake pedal. All those things are operated by driver in my view its illegal
This system working thanks the difference of lateral and longitudinal velocity of car. The wheel, brake or throttle, does not enable or disable directly this system.
Imagine a firefighter that moving one hose left and right, the water jet seems to deviate in the opposite direction, but it deviates the firefighter. In this case, the firefighter would be the car, and the waterjet the airflow into the first step of the Module 1. This system is fully fixed, without any moving parts, all does the air. For example, the Double DRS uses the DRS to be activated, the MM-Duct is always activated.

bhall
bhall

A helpful member of the forum turned me onto this when I was trying to figure out what I call the "VD" (passive DRS or "The Device") on the Lotus E20 earlier this year. It's a bit of a long read, but it also sheds some light on what I think (?) is a real obstacle here.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

there will be enormous drag and energy losses due to all those cylinders. i question how much energy will be left to do anything.......this sounds like another 200-mpg-fish-oil-carb-that-was-suppressed-by-detroit. but if you believe in it and want to invest your money in it, have at it.

hollus

It's a very ambitious and interesting idea.
I don't think the jets of air will change direction as you want them to, though, but I am not 100% sure that I have understood the principle completely.
If I get it right, in a corner the jets of air would choose one or another direction basically due to the centrifugal forces, right? (The path you drive them through afterwards is a different matter and could potentially be controlled by surface effects). If that is the case, the principle is fine for a jet of a liquid in a gas environment, but in your case you have a jet of air. It is surrounded by more air with the same density as your jet, so I don't see how inertial forces would have much effect on it?
Rivals, not enemies.

variante

hollus, I think that the centrifugal force is only the "trigger": the actual flow deviation is provided by the Coanda Effect

hollus

My point is that there should be no centrifugal force if you are surrounded by another fluid of the same density. Does air float on air?
Rivals, not enemies.

aleks_ader

diegocano wrote:In any case, may it would make sense to start by a easier system, with one unique outlet for accelerations in straight, and go slowly adding other options when its operation would safe and efficient.
Crucial point... I like it! Step by step it is best idea!

But anyway nice redesign of W-duct idea... =D> You have some calculus of boudary layer drag of all tubing , filters, moduls etc. (each function) :?: Without it it is nonse to evaluate any reasonbly of this complex sys (i dont like estimations)...

EDIT: W-duct http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NiK46JTEU
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna