MM-Duct: All secrets and components in detail

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
illario
illario

Re: MM-Duct: All secrets and components in detail

I'm repeating again, I'm not an AIR-see-understand-person, but, if i would want to sound cynical, i'll call MM-Duct 'super Mario' - considering how much tube-ing the AIR must go through.
I would have never believed that AIR can do that; I'll wait, and read for more pro et contra arguments.

variante

hollus wrote:My point is that there should be no centrifugal force if you are surrounded by another fluid of the same density. Does air float on air?
You are missing the point... i mean, litterally missing it by few cm: the crucial point of application of the centrifugal force is between the end of the duct that brings the air on the module, not inside the module. That terminal section of the duct is shaped this way: )air(
This kind of shape is ideal in order to apply the Coanda Effect, which is in turn triggered by the transverse (centrifugal) force.
Inside the module itself it happens nothing, thus no air floating on air problem

If it isn't clear, try to read one of my previous post on this page: it is a longer, maybe better explication.

DaveW
DaveW

variante wrote:This kind of shape is ideal in order to apply the Coanda Effect, which is in turn triggered by the transverse (centrifugal) force.
I would be very grateful to be told what, precisely, the "Coanda Effect" has to do with this device.

variante

DaveW wrote:
variante wrote:This kind of shape is ideal in order to apply the Coanda Effect, which is in turn triggered by the transverse (centrifugal) force.
I would be very grateful to be told what, precisely, the "Coanda Effect" has to do with this device.
First of all, after seeing the shape of the nozzle that brings the air inside the Modules, i'm more and more convinced that the nozzle is shaped to second the Coanda Effect.

Basically you want to achieve an airflow deviation, and the only way to get it in theese conditions is using the Coanda Effect. This effect consists more or less in an internal friction of a flow which makes it bend following the surface the airflow is adhering to... and you have already solved half of the problem!

So, how do you make the flow adhere on one side of the nozzle/module or on the opposite side exactly when you need it?
This is the hardest part because you have to use centrifugal force (or other accelerations produced by the car) to litterally push the flow on one side of the nozzle; therefore you have a situation where on one side of the nozzle there is low pressure (where the air stalls more easily), and on the opposite side you have high pressure, which forces the flow to stay attached to the surface, in order to create the necessary conditions to let the Coanda Effect fully express, bending the air.

Since the accelerations produced by an F1 car are not superior to 5g, which is not that much, you have to encourage the phoenomena just described. In order to achieve this, i think, you want to create an unstable condition, where the flow (when not subject to car's forces) is in between the stall condition and the adhesion condition. Which is the trickiest part because you need a lot of tuning.

This being said, it is the first time also for me with this kind of concept, thus i could be wrong... :)

flynfrog

DaveW wrote:
Conda is the new black errr vortex

flynfrog

variante wrote:
DaveW wrote:
First of all, after seeing the shape of the nozzle that brings the air inside the Modules, i'm more and more convinced that the nozzle is shaped to second the Coanda Effect.

Basically you want to achieve an airflow deviation, and the only way to get it in theese conditions is using the Coanda Effect. This effect consists more or less in an internal friction of a flow which makes it bend following the surface the airflow is adhering to... and you have already solved half of the problem!

So, how do you make the flow adhere on one side of the nozzle/module or on the opposite side exactly when you need it?
This is the hardest part because you have to use centrifugal force (or other accelerations produced by the car) to litterally push the flow on one side of the nozzle; therefore you have a situation where on one side of the nozzle there is low pressure (where the air stalls more easily), and on the opposite side you have high pressure, which forces the flow to stay attached to the surface, in order to create the necessary conditions to let the Coanda Effect fully express, bending the air.

Since the accelerations produced by an F1 car are not superior to 5g, which is not that much, you have to encourage the phoenomena just described. In order to achieve this, i think, you want to create an unstable condition, where the flow (when not subject to car's forces) is in between the stall condition and the adhesion condition. Which is the trickiest part because you need a lot of tuning.

This being said, it is the first time also for me with this kind of concept, thus i could be wrong... :)

Maybe try reading the article before you try to explain things you dont understand

the air is not moving the car is moving around it.
- The uniform and centred airflow that reaches to the "Module 1" is deflected proportionally in the opposite direction of
lateral displacement the car
(really deviates the car,and not the airflow).

- Then, to prevent turbulences, and that the airflow sticking to the walls of the module (by a known aerodynamic effect), for improving accuracy and reducing the dimensions of the module, this air flow is deflected in the opposite direction.

variante

flynfrog wrote:the air is not moving the car is moving around it.
yes, sure, warp drive...

i don't want to be as rude as you have been, but why don't you show us that you understand what's going on using some argumentation, before making such statements?
flynfrog wrote:- The uniform and centred airflow that reaches to the "Module 1" is deflected proportionally in the opposite direction of
lateral displacement the car (really deviates the car,and not the airflow).
The underlined sentence simply says that the flow deviation (or bending...call it as you prefer, for the moment) is proportional to the acceleration of the car: this is not in contrast to what i said in my previous post (it is actually a natural consequence of what i said...).

You, flynfrog, should have underlined this: "really deviates the car,and not the airflow". This is something interesting to discuss on. For the moment i strongly disagree with this sentence.
flynfrog wrote:- Then, to prevent turbulences, and that the airflow sticking to the walls of the module (by a known aerodynamic effect), for improving accuracy and reducing the dimensions of the module, this air flow is deflected in the opposite direction.
can you explain this, because to me it makes no sense (at least, the sentence is very imprecise). AND it contradicts what was being said a couple of lines above ("really deviates the car, and not the airflow"): it indeed states that THERE IS AN AIRFLOW DEFLECTION.

I don't want to turn this into a dialectical debate, so, let's come back to something vaguely similar to scientific argumentations. I've tried to explain my hypothesis in my other posts, why don't you do the same?

flynfrog

variante wrote:
flynfrog wrote:the air is not moving the car is moving around it.
yes, sure, warp drive...

i don't want to be as rude as you have been, but why don't you show us that you understand what's going on using some argumentation, before making such statements?
flynfrog wrote:- The uniform and centred airflow that reaches to the "Module 1" is deflected proportionally in the opposite direction of
lateral displacement the car (really deviates the car,and not the airflow).
The underlined sentence simply says that the flow deviation (or bending...call it as you prefer, for the moment) is proportional to the acceleration of the car: this is not in contrast to what i said in my previous post (it is actually a natural consequence of what i said...).

You, flynfrog, should have underlined this: "really deviates the car,and not the airflow". This is something interesting to discuss on. For the moment i strongly disagree with this sentence.
flynfrog wrote:- Then, to prevent turbulences, and that the airflow sticking to the walls of the module (by a known aerodynamic effect), for improving accuracy and reducing the dimensions of the module, this air flow is deflected in the opposite direction.
can you explain this, because to me it makes no sense (at least, the sentence is very imprecise). AND it contradicts what was being said a couple of lines above ("really deviates the car, and not the airflow"): it indeed states that THERE IS AN AIRFLOW DEFLECTION.

I don't want to turn this into a dialectical debate, so, let's come back to something vaguely similar to scientific argumentations. I've tried to explain my hypothesis in my other posts, why don't you do the same?
The first line would mean that it is not impart centrifugal force on the air through the car but that the air is entering and maintain its trajectory. Seems like there is a basic law a physics about this. Something about objects in motion stay in motion.....

Second part they system is clearly designed to avoid the conda effect that is the aerodynamic affect they are talking about. They are trying to avoid it not use it.

You may want to take my advice and reread the article since the quotes posted came from there not from me.

Let the hand waving continue.

variante

flynfrog, if you look at the images you see that the air is brought to the Modules by a tube: how can the air keep its original trajectory through the entire lenght of the tube (which bends multiple times)???

If you look better at the pictures, you'll see that the air inside the tubes, while the car is turning, is disposed slightly asimmetrically...which suggests me that it is under the action of a tranversal force (centrifugal, maybe): this would confirm my hypothesis.

The article could be badly written, the pictures cannot be badly made
I'm still waiting for your explanation of the phenomenon.

WhiteBlue

bhallg2k wrote:A helpful member of the forum turned me onto this when I was trying to figure out what I call the "VD" (passive DRS or "The Device") on the Lotus E20 earlier this year. It's a bit of a long read, but it also sheds some light on what I think (?) is a real obstacle here.
That is what I thought in spring when we heard the first time of the system.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

variante wrote:flynfrog, if you look at the images you see that the air is brought to the Modules by a tube: how can the air keep its original trajectory through the entire lenght of the tube (which bends multiple times)???

If you look better at the pictures, you'll see that the air inside the tubes, while the car is turning, is disposed slightly asimmetrically...which suggests me that it is under the action of a tranversal force (centrifugal, maybe): this would confirm my hypothesis.

The article could be badly written, the pictures cannot be badly made
I'm still waiting for your explanation of the phenomenon.
If I throw a dart inside of a spinning ball what trajectory does the dart take? You seem to be missing some basic physics here.

matt21

diegocano wrote: Is it legal?

No moving parts, not used the DRS, and is not operated by the pilot, therefore, should be completely legal for the 2013 season.
I appreciate ideas like this and recognize the huge amount of work that went into it. =D>

But I have to say that it will be illegal in 2013.
According to article 3.7.3 of the regulations you´re not allowed to have any channels ducting air in the central wing section.

variante

flynfrog wrote:If I throw a dart inside of a spinning ball what trajectory does the dart take? You seem to be missing some basic physics here.
I'm not missing basic physics, i'm instead considering different aspects that you can't get. For example, i'm thinking to this: the use of centrifugal force (as you think) as main force looks impossible to me---> it is indeed impossible for an airflow to be translated trough some stationary air thanks to a force, if that force is applied to both airflow and stationary air. That's because the airflow is not heavier than the stationary air (nor lighter).

Listen, for the moment i'm the only one who has brought a valid explanation to the phenomenon; not the article (badly written), nor you (for you the article is an "ipse dixit"). So you'd better stop provoking me and start bringing some clear facts.
And also, you'd better read my previous posts and realise that i'm not saying idiocies.

flynfrog

variante wrote:
flynfrog wrote:If I throw a dart inside of a spinning ball what trajectory does the dart take? You seem to be missing some basic physics here.
I'm not missing basic physics, i'm instead considering different aspects that you can't get. For example, i'm thinking to this: the use of centrifugal force (as you think) as main force looks impossible to me---> it is indeed impossible for an airflow to be translated trough some stationary air thanks to a force, if that force is applied to both airflow and stationary air. That's because the airflow is not heavier than the stationary air (nor lighter).

Listen, for the moment i'm the only one who has brought a valid explanation to the phenomenon; not the article (badly written), nor you (for you the article is an "ipse dixit"). So you'd better stop provoking me and start bringing some clear facts.
And also, you'd better read my previous posts and realise that i'm not saying idiocies.
using big words does not make your explanation a valid one. If you read the article you can see that it was explained by the man who designed the system not a guess by a journalist. When the creator says his system was build to avoid the very method you think it works by I tend to side with the guy who built it. Ill take your threatening words as lost in translation error as they are not allowed on this forum.

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Just a quick thought:

All the equipment appears to be located forward of the front axles.

is it legal to place things there? I assumed that area would be reserved for crash protection?