Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari F2012

The Ferrari makes very good downforce, it was draggy but no longer the case, its also good in low speed stuff, also believe it or not the Ferrari probably has the best corner exit out of any team. ar Mclaren. It's main faults are in heavy braking into certain turns, and the fact the car is incredibly knife edged.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

I disagree. In Singapore and S3 Abu Dhabi, the Ferrari was struggling to get the power down out of the slow corners.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ludus

My opinion

Ferrari issue is on traction in low speed corner. Perform quite well in fast corner like in silverstone.
Red Bull is strong in traction and in fast direction change. No issue for the rb8, maybe just isn't the best in top speed.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Welcome to the forum mate, hope to see you around! :))
thank you :D

F1.Ru

Ludus wrote:My opinion

Ferrari issue is on traction in low speed corner. Perform quite well in fast corner like in silverstone.
Red Bull is strong in traction and in fast direction change. No issue for the rb8, maybe just isn't the best in top speed.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Welcome to the forum mate, hope to see you around! :))
thank you :D
Hey welcome to the forum..... :D

A lot has been changed since Silverstone....... F2012 may not have the edge over the high speed corner that it has displayed earlier. Rather i would like to say that still F2012 is fast in high speed corner but other teams make better progress and robbed those advantages from Ferrari. So now for being competitive it should have to be fast in high speed corner and also well balanced in the slow speed corner..... and remember Brazilian Gp is an anticlockwise circuit so it is very tough on driver so may be a better driver like Alonso can do more in that race.

Traction may be still a problem for F2012 but think now it is beyond their control so Ferrari should concentrate on optimizing its current packages.....
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

McMrocks
McMrocks

I agree. At least in ABD Ferrari has had the fastest car on straights, but lost much time in corners. The Ferrari were about 10 km/h (don't kill me if it was only 8 km/h) faster than the RB. So they lost their time in the corners. Maybe they had a low downforce setup but in low speed corners the downforce will not make a that big difference.
Does anybody have the Sector times in 3rd Sector because the FiA Media centre is already in America.
I would also guess that they would have a slightly less tyre degradation if they would drive more downforce. But they have improved well if we remember that they had a draggy car at the start of the season.

Does anybody know other pages with Speed trap and Sector times than FiA.com?

diffuser

I'm gonna avoid all the BS about all the previous races and say simply...based on What Massa said (previously seen in these pages) "the front wing worked as expected but the rear wing only half what was expected; but yeah, front wing, apparently, worked fine."

The problem is the rear end downforce. They probably had to decrease from max available front end downforce to get proper balance. Forget oversteer, understeer, DRS, DDRS, etc. That one line sentence from Massa says it all.

diffuser

McMrocks wrote:I agree. At least in ABD Ferrari has had the fastest car on straights, but lost much time in corners. The Ferrari were about 10 km/h (don't kill me if it was only 8 km/h) faster than the RB. So they lost their time in the corners. Maybe they had a low downforce setup but in low speed corners the downforce will not make a that big difference.
Does anybody have the Sector times in 3rd Sector because the FiA Media centre is already in America.
I would also guess that they would have a slightly less tyre degradation if they would drive more downforce. But they have improved well if we remember that they had a draggy car at the start of the season.

Does anybody know other pages with Speed trap and Sector times than FiA.com?
Sector 1	KPH		Sector 2	KPH
P. di Resta	282		B. Senna	312
T. Glock	280		S. Vettel	311
F. Alonso	280		P. di Resta	311
P. Maldonado	280		F. Massa	311
M. Schumacher	279		F. Alonso	310
B. Senna	279		M. Webber	310

Sector 3	KPH		Speed trap	KPH
S. Vettel	217		P. Maldonado	324
P. di Resta	216		B. Senna	324
F. Alonso	214		S. Perez	322
J. Button	214		S. Vettel	321
F. Massa	214		F. Massa	319
M. Schumacher	214		F. Alonso	319
I also wished they'd break the sectors down futher. Like have each sector broken down into 3 parts like a 1a, 1b and 1c. Just more detail. I'm sure the teams have more detail ...anyone know what the teams have ?

godlameroso

raymondu999 wrote:I disagree. In Singapore and S3 Abu Dhabi, the Ferrari was struggling to get the power down out of the slow corners.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but if you notice in races where the Ferrari was being chased, I.e. Germany and Silverstone, no one could touch the Ferrari coming out of corners, especially the slow ones, the ones that are limited by mechanical grip. In Silverstone, Webber got Alonso under braking not acceleration. I stick by my story, the Ferrari is very knife edged, and it becomes worse under heavy braking for certain corners. It's not something they can fix by adding more downforce because it's a property of the chassis, they'll have to evolve the concept for next year to fix this.

Regardless, Ferrari in Alonso's hands have proven to have one of the fastest cars on the grid at the moment.
Last edited by godlameroso on 13 Nov 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

McMrocks
McMrocks

thanks diffusor! is that race or Quali? I guess it is race, because in the Q Vettel had around 310 at the Speedtrap

diffuser

McMrocks wrote:thanks diffusor! is that race or Quali? I guess it is race, because in the Q Vettel had around 310 at the Speedtrap

yep

markp
markp

godlameroso wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I disagree. In Singapore and S3 Abu Dhabi, the Ferrari was struggling to get the power down out of the slow corners.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but if you notice in races where the Ferrari was being chased, I.e. Germany and Silverstone, no one could touch the Ferrari coming out of corners, especially the slow ones, the ones that are limited by mechanical grip. In Silverstone, Webber got Alonso under braking not acceleration. I stick by my story, the Ferrari is very knife edged, and it becomes worse under heavy braking for certain corners. It's not something they can fix by adding more downforce because it's a property of the chassis, they'll have to evolve the concept for next year to fix this.

Regardless, Ferrari in Alonso's hands have proven to have one of the fastest cars on the grid at the moment.
Under brakeing, similar to what Gary Anderson was on about with flow reattachment under brakeing. I know he was on about with drs use but could drs just increase this effect and issue with brakeing effects on the car be the core issue?

godlameroso

I think it's a chassis thing, the problem with the Ferrari seems mechanical to me. The downforce is there, but I think the setup they use to get the tires working is having unwanted consequences under heavy breakin phases, the flip side is that this same deficit become an advantage on corner exit. This effect would be magnified as the downforce decreases rapidly while heavily trail braking into bumpy corners at low speeds. That said when there are continuous low speed corners it's not a problem because the car has good mechanical grip sick corner exit, and a good deal of downforce.
Saishū kōnā

sheldonjohn
sheldonjohn

In addition to a new front wing, a new rear wing and a more efficient DRS, Ferrari brought different chassis turning vanes

Abarth

godlameroso wrote:[...]That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but if you notice in races where the Ferrari was being chased, I.e. Germany and Silverstone, no one could touch the Ferrari coming out of corners, especially the slow ones, the ones that are limited by mechanical grip. In Silverstone, Webber got Alonso under braking not acceleration. I stick by my story, the Ferrari is very knife edged, and it becomes worse under heavy braking for certain corners.[...]
Part of that "exit advantage" is, as far as I could spot, due to Alonsos driving style when chased, he's pretty good at slowing the chaser down a bit at the apex and then accelerate better than the chaser because of car position for the corner exit.

But I too think Ferraris problem is not traction but rather deficiencies in slow corner entry until the apex, has been evident in Hungary. They had lots of understeer there, not enough donwforce.

alogoc
alogoc

sheldonjohn wrote:In addition to a new front wing, a new rear wing and a more efficient DRS, Ferrari brought different chassis turning vanes
Brought where,when???
Pictures?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!