Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:
sheldonjohn wrote:In addition to a new front wing, a new rear wing and a more efficient DRS, Ferrari brought different chassis turning vanes
Brought where,when???
Pictures?
Sigh! These have been shown on this thread are are also available on the likes of f1.com!

jonaliew
jonaliew

After the last of the season AEROTEST Idiada, Spain, Ferrari is ready for the final challenge . Much of the possibility of the Red fight for the title will already be outlined on the new circuit in Austin, and it is normal that is, the pressure is through the roof.

On the F2012, Ferrari took the test with Jules Bianchi. The French seem to have tried refinements of the wings and the diffuser. On the car there is no Double DRS, but the study of aerodynamics had focused on its' efficiency of the wing with the DRS open , while improving the speed. On them the Ferrari plays a lot in Austin, where there is a large straight of one kilometer. And although Ferrari has been shown to have solved the problems of drag at the front, it seems that there is more to do at the rear , including discharges. However, it seems that at the time the work is concentrated entirely on the diffuser and rear wing. We must find the right balance between top speed and downforce. Because if you choose to bet the max they fast in the first leg and on the two main straights, you can not just lose everything in the infield.

During practice in Austin, where the riders will also have a set of hard tires additional to discover the track will also change the working approach of the team. Stefano Domenicali said: "We will leave more time for take pilots familiar with the circuit, sacrificing a little 'time usually dedicated to the testing of the new songs."

And the harder compounds of the Pirelli range, someone wants to focus attention. Choosing Hard-Medium has already been used three times during the year: Malaysia, Belgium and Italy. During the season, the F2012 has been shown to have had a good feeling with the compound Silver Hard, unlike years past when struggling to send in temperature.

http://www.blogf1.it/2012/11/13/ferrari ... e-iridate/
Not sure how reliable this article is. But it does give an analysis on the F2012 weaknesses at the rear.

alogoc
alogoc

How can exhausts couse drag?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

alogoc wrote:How can exhausts couse drag?
By blowing forward! :D :D :D

The translation is rather "flaky"

suburbano
suburbano

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I know this is going to sound silly but I just spent about an hour playing F1 2012 on this circuit and my impression is that it's got A LOT of fast corners, and a lot of esses. I've heard people say that there's no previous experience so we don't really know who this circuit will suit better. Well, my thinks this is definitely a Red Bull circuit :?

There is also a very long straight, of course, but I believe Ferrari should focus on getting as much downforce as possible, especially on the rear since that seems to be the part that has been causing trouble, even if that means losing some raw speed. The good news is that maybe the DRS won't make such big difference in qualifying because with all those corners there isn't really a lot of room to use it freely.

Cam

alogoc wrote:How can exhausts couse drag?
I'm no aero expert, but a quick google seems to locate information that would answer that question to some extent.
1) the position of the exhaust pipes and how they affect the flow of air around them.
2) the exhaust gases and how they interact with the airflow at point of exit and the follow on effects further down the body.

Exhausts are arguably one of the most critical parts - especially this year with ramps, tunnels, coanda etc all being used in some fashion to influence the exhaust for better aero (you can include aspects of drag in here) and to provide secondary uses, such as sealing the diffuser. All of these aspects would certainly assist in reducing drag IMO.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

aral
aral

Where? When? Whose photo? etc etc
Last edited by Steven on 15 Nov 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Convert quoted image to link

stefan_
stefan_

USA (can't see too many things though - wings look the same as in Abu Dhabi)

Last edited by stefan_ on 15 Nov 2012, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

adam2003
adam2003

gilgen wrote:
alogoc wrote:
sheldonjohn wrote:In addition to a new front wing, a new rear wing and a more efficient DRS, Ferrari brought different chassis turning vanes
Brought where,when???
Pictures?
Sigh! These have been shown on this thread are are also available on the likes of f1.com!
If your gonna say they have new parts least date when they introduced when i read though you meant for this race please be more clearer sigh!!

mohsdad
mohsdad

Doing the PSL holder pit walk today Ferrari had one of the 4 wings outside covered. I am hoping it means it is a new update.

muzzytt
muzzytt

Correct me if im wrong but isn't this the new front wing what looks like new nose cone new end plates?

http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2010/d11tur750.jpg

Edit never mind its the old wing from 2010
Last edited by muzzytt on 15 Nov 2012, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

wesley123
wesley123

nope that is a picture of a 2 year old front wing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mohsdad
mohsdad

Finally they posted a picture! I couldn't upload the one I had to here.