COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

ChipAyten
ChipAyten

Re: COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Turn 1 (and all blind turns) should be given a little extra track on the exit. This is just my experience from the game but it's been problematic a bunch of times especially when going 2 wide.

seninha
seninha

Does anybody know where drivers are staying in Austin?

We just arrived and we would like to shoots some pictures when they step out of the hotel.

ChipAyten
ChipAyten

Very very slippery P1, ask expected with the brand new circuit.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Hairy Scotsman (or others):

A picture of yours from the race thread.

Are these stands:
1. Temporary for the F1 race.
2. Temporary - to be replaced with concrete stands when money is available.
3. Permanent. Low cost seating for all events.
4. Something else

I am particularly interested as there is a plan to stage F1 races locally (Cape Town) but in a Singapore type track in the City on upgraded public roads. I am collecting information about the costs invloved.

Many thanks for your continuing posts about this track as it has evolved - very informative, revealing and interesting.

snoop1050
snoop1050

those stands are pretty standard and I believe at every circuit.

heres silverstone.

you just dont notice what they actually look like when people are sitting on them

mantikos
mantikos

snoop1050 wrote:those stands are pretty standard and I believe at every circuit.

heres silverstone.

you just dont notice what they actually look like when people are sitting on them
Wanna know the difference- COTA has benches whereas Silverstone has seats
Last edited by Richard on 18 Nov 2012, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

WhiteBlue

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121118/F1/121119829

Great review of how COTA acquitted itself.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

That review says it well. A really GREAT track. A fast sweeping sector like Silverstone where the chasing driver could catch up. A really fast section like Monza where overtaking could take place & forced the team to gear the car for high speed. A really tight sector where mechanical grip paid off - where Vettel could regain what he had lost. Lovely changes of elevation had to be artificially created & it is a great feature of the track.
Superb track compared to the recent Tilke tracks where the three sections are mixed up into a jumble so nothing happens besides a procession (Istanbul somewhat excepted).

notsofast
notsofast

A great big Thank-You to Hairy and everyone else who kept us informed of the construction of the track. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread all year long.

strad

Yes, indeed..Thanks Hairy for all the updates and pictures etc
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Let's rather be thankful that Hairy was wrong, about everything. All the post-Tavo concern-trolling about the construction, the funding, the ticket sales, the traffic, the organization, the management, and even Tavo himself -- all wrong.

I'd rather thank the construction crews and the guys at CotA and all the other people in Austin who made it happen. It's a wonderful facility and it was an incredibly successful race on all sorts of levels. =D>

swarren7
swarren7

I was at the race this weekend at turn 4 and what a race it was. Does anybody know why COTA painted over the white stars they had in the original paint job on the track? I think the stars made the paint job on the track look better then what they ended up with. Just curious.

mantikos
mantikos

swarren7 wrote:I was at the race this weekend at turn 4 and what a race it was. Does anybody know why COTA painted over the white stars they had in the original paint job on the track? I think the stars made the paint job on the track look better then what they ended up with. Just curious.
The stars come through the stripes - it was cool look and I think that is probably what they were shooting for

Pup
Pup

I noticed that too. I preferred the original - guess someone else didn't.

FW17

mantikos wrote:
swarren7 wrote:I was at the race this weekend at turn 4 and what a race it was. Does anybody know why COTA painted over the white stars they had in the original paint job on the track? I think the stars made the paint job on the track look better then what they ended up with. Just curious.
The stars come through the stripes - it was cool look and I think that is probably what they were shooting for
Yeah the original looked like this
Pup wrote:Let's rather be thankful that Hairy was wrong, about everything. All the post-Tavo concern-trolling about the construction, the funding, the ticket sales, the traffic, the organization, the management, and even Tavo himself -- all wrong.

I'd rather thank the construction crews and the guys at CotA and all the other people in Austin who made it happen. It's a wonderful facility and it was an incredibly successful race on all sorts of levels. =D>
Apparently the guys who funded it, completed it and ran the awesome event are not important anymore.