Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Ferrari F2012

Why not? I mean - I don't know if it will be a better or worse thing to do overall, but I don't see why they can't do that.

To be honest, Interlagos - this far out, weather reports aren't reliable yet. I'll wait for Thursday at least.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

alogoc
alogoc

raymondu999 wrote:Why not? I mean - I don't know if it will be a better or worse thing to do overall, but I don't see why they can't do that.

To be honest, Interlagos - this far out, weather reports aren't reliable yet. I'll wait for Thursday at least.
what has happend since Silverstone?
i mean remember winter testing? they were all about how they solved tire warm-up bla bla bla
what has changed ?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

infy
infy

I dont think it is a matter of Ferrari being great in the wet, but instead everyone else was just behind in tire heat-up compared to them. You could say RBR's recent qualifying advantage comes from how much quicker they heat their tires up. I dont see how that can be anything but an advantage in the rain.

Cam

infy wrote:I dont think it is a matter of Ferrari being great in the wet, but instead everyone else was just behind in tire heat-up compared to them. You could say RBR's recent qualifying advantage comes from how much quicker they heat their tires up. I dont see how that can be anything but an advantage in the rain.
Agreed, Ferrari had that great early win in the rain, probably thanks to Perez and probably also as a result of the early 'Pirelli Spice' where you only had to fluke a setup to win a race (see: Maldonado) so it was less about core car strengths than 'hit and hope'. The cars have developed considerably since then. Silverstone was a good example of how Ferrari couldn't replicate the wet win. There's nothing I've seen that makes me think the Ferrari is any more of a threat in the wet over a Red Bull or McLaren - who have also been up there in every wet race. If anything, I'd say Ferrari are slightly behind in wet running, rather than a clear threat.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Sevach
Sevach

Silverstone race day was completely dry, Alonso got the pole in the wet, same thing in Germany.
Alonso 2 pole positions were in the wet, together with his Malaysia win make a pretty strong case for a rain dance.

Alonso is in a desperate position, probably won't have the car to win in Brazil and even if somehow the F2012 "clicks" with Interlagos he has to hope for a bad Vettel result, Massa, Mclarens, Lotuses, Maldonado on one of his days, crazy Perez tactics...
I think there is only 1 instance the entire season where Massa had more pace than Vettel, Monza.

The crazier the race the better, otherwise Vettel failing to finish is Fernando's only chance.

alessio

Alonso Austin GP 2012:
Massa Austin GP 2012:

...for me they have the same wings.

suburbano
suburbano

They have different difusers, Alonso had the new one and Massa the old one. Either it didn't work very well or Fernando has become more conservative with his driving because Massa looked like the faster driver all weekend long

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Tyres degradation for Alonso was very very poor. Massa was really fast on option while he had clean air only when he was behind Raikkonen, while Alonso was in clean air all the first stint, and Massa was much faster and made more laps than Alonso who was very slow at the end of his stint.

If Alonso had more updates than Massa during the race, they need to get rid of them because since perhaps Korea, Massa looks like the fastest driver of the team.

infy
infy

Alonso had more time in the bag. He just never used it because the guys ahead were not catchable. I dont know if you recall during the race, but on live timing it was evident when he set the fastest lap, as it was more than 1 second quicker than the lap before and the lap he set after. I suspect he was being conservative and did the quick lap just to check what time time he could set if he needed to push. He might have also done it to send a message to Button and Massa.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Nice drawings mate, you & Z do good work. Are you trying to say the red on the 2nd picture is new?

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Nice drawings mate, you & Z do good work. Are you trying to say the red on the 2nd picture is new?
The parts highlighted red were introduced in Abu Dhabi! So it is essentially the new front wing that was used in Abu Dhabi...

Indeed they are very nice drawings! Now there is even more competition! :P

EDIT: this weekend ferrari used different cascade wings to the ones that were used with the new fw in AD...the cascade wings were used before though with the older fw

F1.Ru

raymondu999 wrote:In the dry - I always thought Austin would be the better Ferrari circuit. Fast sweepers etc have been the Ferrari strength. Traction, slow corners - have generally, in my view, been their bane since Singapore/Hungary.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&p=392047#p392047

Just to remind what i said earlier .............
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

raymondu999

F1.Ru wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:In the dry - I always thought Austin would be the better Ferrari circuit. Fast sweepers etc have been the Ferrari strength. Traction, slow corners - have generally, in my view, been their bane since Singapore/Hungary.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&p=392047#p392047

Just to remind what i said earlier .............
I read that - and I don't share that opinion. In Abu Dhabi, in Singapore, in Hungary - the car displayed a lack of any decent turn in or traction in the slow corners.

Suzuka S1, Alonso was only 3 tenths off the fastest S1 (Vettel) in qualifying. Abu Dhabi S3, Alonso was 7 tenths off the fastest S3 (Vettel) in qualifying.

USA S1 - the fast sweepy section, Alonso was less than 1 tenth off the fastest (Hamilton).

I still believe that the F2012 is relatively good in the high speed. It's the slow speed that's the issue. Just rewatch the Abu Dhabi race. Alonso was having so much trouble putting power on the exit of the corners in S3.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New Diffuser for the USGP