Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316
f1316

Re: Ferrari F2012

Not to take anything away from Massa, who seemed to have pace to spare throughout the race, but I wonder if the spec he ran actually worked better thant Alonso's.

Moreover, I was very surprised that Ferrari stayed in their garage for so long in P3. I know the track was changing, warming up etc. but for a team who previously relied so heavily on physical testing at race tracks, you'd imagine they'd use every chance they got at doing some running. Surely they can get more useful data from circulating on a cold Austin track than from running in a straight line, for example?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

http://www.f1zone.net/news/massas-old-d ... tin/16806/

So Massa had the same car but choose to not use the new diffuser... It say it all when a driver choose to not use the new component...

AnthonyG

I like that Massa choose the old one, shows he has confidence imo.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Kolin68
Kolin68

Kolin68
Kolin68

diffuser

Nice drawings ...

Interesting how some in this forum have complained that Ferrari's Front wings are lacking in imaginations yet here http://www.f1technical.net/development/383 Mclaren has made a move towards the Ferrari design.

In the "Really now?" segment of comments Pat fry on ESPN F1 http://en.espnf1.com/usa/motorsport/story/95357.html

Said "The main problem this weekend was definitely managing the tyre temperatures: once again today we suffered in the early laps after the pit stop much more than our competitors."

He completely snubs the fact that Fernando was still in the 2nd sector while Hamilton was crossing the finish line(or that he qualified 1.5 seconds down).

alogoc
alogoc

Las nuevas piezas de FER, no funcionan porque aunque dan una ligera mejora, desequilibran el centro de presión aero y las gomas no calientan
The new parts of FER, although they do not work because a slight improvement, central pressure unbalance aero and tires do not heat
@joseluisf1

how accurate can this claim be?
Last edited by Richard on 21 Nov 2012, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added translation & source
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

alogoc wrote:how accurate can this claim be??
I guess it's possible but I'm not sure i agree with it. Felipe with the older diffuser did not have the same problem warming the tyres. The problem in Austin was lack of downforce(helps warm tyres) and if the new diffuser provided more DF it would have been evident. The unbalanced CoP to me would cause other issues.
Really only the team would know the exact cause for the difference between the two cars performance and what the exact problem/s were.
In fairness this may be Infos directly from the team so it could very well be the reason. I don't know

Edit: now that I know the source, (@joseluisf1) I believe it. He's very reliable IMHO!
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 21 Nov 2012, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.

Cam

alogoc wrote:The new parts of FER, although they do not work because a slight improvement, central pressure unbalance aero and tires do not heat
Is the statement true? Ferrari were 40 seconds off the pace and Massa out-qualified Alonso. Whether they worked or not is beside the point, they weren't fast enough to fight for a win - does anything else matter?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

A more accurate translation to that statement: "FER's new parts do not work, because, despite they provide a slight improvement, they unbalance the aero pressure center, and the tyres do not heat."

Now, I'd like to know who said such thing… "unbalance the aero pressure center"…ummmmmm :wtf:

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

I just found out who did that statement, one of the usual suspects: Twitter's @joseluisf1

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ferrari will have a few small updates for Brazil. Lets hope they help the car be more competitive.

Source: http://www.ferrari.com/english/formula1 ... -york.aspx

heho07
heho07

No.another backward step

donskar
donskar

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Ferrari will have a few small updates for Brazil. Lets hope they help the car be more competitive.

Sure they will. Deja vu all over again. I am a tifosi, but "few small updates" is so sad.

Source: http://www.ferrari.com/english/formula1 ... -york.aspx
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

donskar wrote:

Sure they will. Deja vu all over again. I am a tifosi, but "few small updates" is so sad.
Well it's a little late in the season to be bringing large updates. A few small updates could make a fairly big difference in the F2012's performance. I doubt it but maybe.

Personally I think that after winter testing word from up high came to fix the problem ASAP. Which was done, and made the car competitive. I think they(Ferrari) took the approach to rapidly improve the car as quick as possible with little forethought on future development. I also think the lack of straightline speed made the team go real aggressive on DRS and developed other parts to help said lack of speed and that they simply went too far. I'm not sure they can fix the problem with just a change or two, I think much of the car needs to be changed to bring it to the RB8's level and its too far along in the season to do so. I think maybe they realized this around Singapore but tried to refine different elements on the car instead of completely redesigning and that's why the car hasn't really went forward compared to others. It's went forward for sure with the small refinements, but it's only helped to keep the gap consistent with other teams updates whereas a redesign of certain elements would've actually cut the gap not simply maintain it.