Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:
McMrocks wrote:fortunately the Brazilian track has not as much slow corners as the CotA
What does this have to do with the RB8?
I'm not sure but it may be in regards to alternator cooling issues?

McMrocks
McMrocks

raymondu999 wrote:
McMrocks wrote:fortunately the Brazilian track has not as much slow corners as the CotA
What does this have to do with the RB8?
sorry. in slow corners some drivers are driving a higher gear to have more controll over the power. And some post from the last side said this:
ziggy wrote:Hi. It was mentioned by Renault that the alternators suffered in low RPM corners
here:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102454

Ok, its logical, in the low RPM range less current is produced by the alternator.

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... e%20100Amp

Just look on the graph.

As I'm understanding the article, the alternator suffered because of overcurrent. Either Renault went over the limit with the new alternators or the car is simply demanding more current than the ALT produces. There were some talkings about Red bull using separate tanks for cooling fluids and oil, so they can pump the fluids all over the car, just where they want the additional weight. Those pumps could draw too much current in low RPM.

Cheers

seinfeld
seinfeld

In my opinion. RBR took more of a risk not changing those alternators earlier! they put Sebs title race in complete jeopardy. the minute they refused to swap them out! Why are they so scared to change it? im pretty sure it will be the same size etc?

Intego

No, the old one is bigger.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

McMrocks
McMrocks

Speculation: RB gave Webber the new alternators earlier. So they saved the old-spec alternators for Vettel. At least I would have done this.

aral
aral

McMrocks wrote:Speculation: RB gave Webber the new alternators earlier. So they saved the old-spec alternators for Vettel. At least I would have done this.
As far as I am aware, Red Bull were using up stocks of the old alternator as they felt that there had not been enough testing on the new one. Webbers was an old spec.
Renault have pretty well guaranteed Red Bull, that the new one is reliable. Lets hope that they are right. It would not be nice to see Vettel lose the WDC due to something outside his control.

stefan_
stefan_

gilgen wrote:
McMrocks wrote:Speculation: RB gave Webber the new alternators earlier. So they saved the old-spec alternators for Vettel. At least I would have done this.
As far as I am aware, Red Bull were using up stocks of the old alternator as they felt that there had not been enough testing on the new one. Webbers was an old spec.
Renault have pretty well guaranteed Red Bull, that the new one is reliable. Lets hope that they are right. It would not be nice to see Vettel lose the WDC due to something outside his control.
It's a two way street there. You can say that Alonso already lost it due to circumstances that he could not control.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Intego

Same for Vettel here, or Hamilton, or Schumacher, or :roll: ...
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

aral
aral

stefan_ wrote:
gilgen wrote:
It's a two way street there. You can say that Alonso already lost it due to circumstances that he could not control.
It appears that you misunderstand me. Lots has happened during the year, but I am talking about the situation for Brazil. I would like to see a clean fight, devoid of mechanical disasters for either Alonso or Vettel. But we are talking about a possible alternator problem for Vettel, a problem which has happened twice befor for him. Alonsos car has been reliable.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Giorgio Piola has broke news in the latest AutoSprint edition that Red Bull introduced it's own thermal management system for tyres & brakes similar to McLaren. Cue the Technical Directive that was issued a few races back about forbidden materials, all stemmed from Red Bull "seeking clarification on what's legal & what isn't. Here's a breakdown of their system.

The Innovative Red Bull RB8 Ducts
Red Bull has refrained from deploying in official tests these new brake grips allowing a variable geometry adjusted longitudinal forces. When braking the door opened slightly a hole that closed when accelerating. Red Bull first tested the system at Monza and stopped in Korea. Do you see in the small picture detail was carefully masked with duct tape

The article(PM me if you want it) goes on and says RB asked Whiting for clarification on materials that can be used and that the system is very simple & lightweight. Based on the forces acting in the longitudinal direction on the car to open the small pipe under braking and acceleration close in a sort of cap with longitudinal movement. Given the confirmation to red bull, whiting has also pointed out that the variable adjustment developed by McLaren with activation by a mechanic in stopping in the pits and allowed. Basically uses the same principle that allows to change the incidence of the front wing flap.

WhiteBlue

Adrian Newey wrote:"It's not a new component (the Magneti Marelli alternator). It's been on the Renault engine since 2005 -- and it's been failing since 2005..."
Didi Mateschitz wrote:I want Renault to separate from its supplier Magneti Marelli and use someone else.
So now we are in a position where the reliability of a components of the RB8 supplied by an Italian sub supplier may decide the 2012 FiA F1 driver world championship, which is contested by Red Bull's Vettel against Ferrari's Alonso.
Not a comfortable situation. If we shall see an alternator failure on Vettel's car in Brazil all hell will brake loose.
The conspiracy theorists will have a field day and rightly so.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it will not happen.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's Analysis of the new RB8 RW & Brake Cooling & 3rd Damper

Via AutoSport

.poz
.poz

gilgen wrote: I would like to see a clean fight, devoid of mechanical disasters for either Alonso or Vettel. But we are talking about a possible alternator problem for Vettel, a problem which has happened twice befor for him. Alonsos car has been reliable.
Alonso car has been reliably crushed two times. We are talking about 30 points or more.

Also to whom has written something about magneti marelli being Italian and conspiracy theory.... Alonso retired due to contact with Grosjean and Raikonen both using a Renault engine like RB... conspiracy ?

No it's just racing. Technical failures and crushes are just part of the game.

PlatinumZealot

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Giorgio Piola has broke news in the latest AutoSprint edition that Red Bull introduced it's own thermal management system for tyres & brakes similar to McLaren. Cue the Technical Directive that was issued a few races back about forbidden materials, all stemmed from Red Bull "seeking clarification on what's legal & what isn't. Here's a breakdown of their system.

The Innovative Red Bull RB8 Ducts
Red Bull has refrained from deploying in official tests these new brake grips allowing a variable geometry adjusted longitudinal forces. When braking the door opened slightly a hole that closed when accelerating. Red Bull first tested the system at Monza and stopped in Korea. Do you see in the small picture detail was carefully masked with duct tape

The article(PM me if you want it) goes on and says RB asked Whiting for clarification on materials that can be used and that the system is very simple & lightweight. Based on the forces acting in the longitudinal direction on the car to open the small pipe under braking and acceleration close in a sort of cap with longitudinal movement. Given the confirmation to red bull, whiting has also pointed out that the variable adjustment developed by McLaren with activation by a mechanic in stopping in the pits and allowed. Basically uses the same principle that allows to change the incidence of the front wing flap.
I disagree 100% with that claim. Only suspension and DRS are allowed be live movement. I am going out on a limb and claim that it's adjusted in the pits.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

n smikle wrote:
I disagree 100% with that claim. Only suspension and DRS are allowed be live movement. I am going out on a limb and claim that it's adjusted in the pits.
Well Gary Anderson said in his analysis I posted that the FIA refused to sanction the device. So they can't be using it.