Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

bhallg2k wrote:
McMrocks wrote:Maybe the F2012 wasn't designed for getting much air to the coke bottle. They where destroying the coke bottle shape through the acer ducts.
[...]
Every car is designed to get as much air as possible to the Coke bottle. That's where downforce lives. They just thought the Acer ducts would perform similarly to Red Bull's ramp and tunnel design.
Yep, that's where the tents are, you need to get enough air there to inflate all 6.

sknguy
sknguy

This year's Red Bull car was similar, from a performance perspective, to Alonso's Renault years. Finding the balance and compromise between speed and downforce. I think Ferrari were slowly heading in that direction this year. Certainly Massa responded well to the later updates.

Ferrari said they struggled a lot to understand what they were doing wrong, and I hope they were able to learn positive things from their mistakes. I suspect they'll come out with a stronger car in 2013 because I think they learned a lot from this year. Too bad about the early version "Acer" duct experiment. Turns out they may have been "spoiling" their diffusers rather than enhancing them. The principle of redirecting the exhaust was certainly sound, just the implimentation wasn't effective.

I wonder where exactly the exhaust on the F2012 trails to? Over the top of the diffuser, or more to the side skirts? Visually it looks like the exhaust would flow towards to center of the diffuser's top.

banibhusan

I thought their exhaust is very similar to what McLaren does, i.e. redirecting the hot exhaust gases over the skirts to seal the diffuser.

Anyways what are the chances of Ferrari developing a passive DDRS system for next year, something like the Lotus system?

beelsebob
beelsebob

banibhusan wrote:I thought their exhaust is very similar to what McLaren does, i.e. redirecting the hot exhaust gases over the skirts to seal the diffuser.

Anyways what are the chances of Ferrari developing a passive DDRS system for next year, something like the Lotus system?
I don't think any teams will seriously go down that line next year to be honest. It's already been shown to be way too difficult to tweak. The teams spend so much time setting it up in practice that they have no time for any other running.

adam2003
adam2003

When ferrari get rid of the stepped nose will they still keep the nose high, mclaren had a low nose compared to others at the start but raised it up. but now the noses are going back to normal, will people change the hight of them?

beelsebob
beelsebob

adam2003 wrote:When ferrari get rid of the stepped nose will they still keep the nose high, mclaren had a low nose compared to others at the start but raised it up. but now the noses are going back to normal, will people change the hight of them?
I very much expect that the noses will remain high, I expect the shroud will allow the teams to improve the aero over the top of the car though.

McMrocks
McMrocks

beelsebob wrote:
adam2003 wrote:When ferrari get rid of the stepped nose will they still keep the nose high, mclaren had a low nose compared to others at the start but raised it up. but now the noses are going back to normal, will people change the hight of them?
I very much expect that the noses will remain high, I expect the shroud will allow the teams to improve the aero over the top of the car though.
yep. The advantages of a high nose are staying but some disadvantages (drag, vortexes due to the step) will disappear. Or at least the disadvantages are getting smaller

raymondu999

No step next year - there will be a panel to cover that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

adam2003
adam2003

raymondu999 wrote:No step next year - there will be a panel to cover that.
What do you mean a panel?
Cant they do what mclaren did without a panel?

beelsebob
beelsebob

adam2003 wrote:
They can, but given the rules, they choose not to. In 2013, they will be allowed a non-structural panel in the prohibited area that smooths off the nose. It will not be allowed to raise the tip of the nose.

adam2003
adam2003

beelsebob wrote:
adam2003 wrote:
They can, but given the rules, they choose not to. In 2013, they will be allowed a non-structural panel in the prohibited area that smooths off the nose. It will not be allowed to raise the tip of the nose.
Ah i get you, thanks

godlameroso

Ferrari has never been good at innovation, what they are extremely good at is iteration. Meaning they are probably the best team at refining solutions that work. The problem is finding those solutions that work, which I'm guessing they did to a large extent this year. Next year is an exercise in just that, plus the rules are being tweaked to lessen their weakness(DRS running in qualifying). What I'm really interested in seeing is if Massa will be fast out of the gate and maintain his form, if he does Alonso might end up being demoted, and demotivated, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Saishū kōnā

donskar
donskar

godlameroso wrote:Ferrari has never been good at innovation, what they are extremely good at is iteration. Meaning they are probably the best team at refining solutions that work. The problem is finding those solutions that work, which I'm guessing they did to a large extent this year. Next year is an exercise in just that, plus the rules are being tweaked to lessen their weakness(DRS running in qualifying). What I'm really interested in seeing is if Massa will be fast out of the gate and maintain his form, if he does Alonso might end up being demoted, and demotivated, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Uh, no. Are you too young to remember the Mauro Forgheiri designs? And the Barnard years, are you too young for those, too? "Never" is a dangerous word to use around those who've followed F1 for half a century or so.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

raymondu999

I think closer to home is - Tombazis and Fry - have never been good at innovation
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

adam2003
adam2003

Will the car look like the 2011 one? but tighter packaging on rear and other tweaks?