2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Nando
Nando

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Could be yes, I assumed Bernie and Monte were standing track side discussing the sound.
my mistake sorry,

thanks,
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

jamsbong
jamsbong

Why cant they make the v6 turbo sound like the insane Audi quattro? That car's engine has the craziest sound i've ever heard. The blown off valve whistle, thunder crackling exhaust, angry L5, turbo hissing just gets everyones attention.

Bredd
Bredd

I've heard rumours that mercedes have done an engine test at rockingham.

FW17

What is the point of a track test at this stage?

Nando
Nando

jamsbong wrote:Why cant they make the v6 turbo sound like the insane Audi quattro? That car's engine has the craziest sound i've ever heard. The blown off valve whistle, thunder crackling exhaust, angry L5, turbo hissing just gets everyones attention.
I was under the impression that cylinder amounts are linked sort of.

5 or 10 cylinders
6 or 12 cylinders
8 or 16 cylinders

as far as sounding close to each other. (obviously a 5 or 10 cylinder will sound different but because it´s essentially 2 5 cylinders merged it will share the same traits in the sound)

Bredd
Bredd

WilliamsF1 wrote:What is the point of a track test at this stage?
Mercedes were further along than the ferrari in their engine development. They were doing dyno tests in 2011, the next logical step is to test at a track.

WhiteBlue

Nando wrote:I was under the impression that cylinder amounts are linked sort of.

5 or 10 cylinders
6 or 12 cylinders
8 or 16 cylinders

as far as sounding close to each other. (obviously a 5 or 10 cylinder will sound different but because it´s essentially 2 5 cylinders merged it will share the same traits in the sound)
What matters even more is the design of the exhaust system. F1 will be using mono turbos which will pipe the sound of all cylinders into one tail pipe. It is going to increase the effective frequency compared to the V8s. The V8s had only 4 cylinders feeding one tailpipe. The V6s will have all six feeding one tail pipe. Effectively the engine sound will have the same frequency as the higher revving V8s had.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Nando
Nando

Even when the proposed rev limit* will be some 6000 revs lower? (i think Renault said in the article they will probably run at around 12 instead of the maximum 15)

*teams own limit

WhiteBlue

Nando wrote:Even when the proposed rev limit* will be some 6000 revs lower? (i think Renault said in the article they will probably run at around 12 instead of the maximum 15)

*teams own limit
I did the math for 12,000 rpm and it is still slightly higher in frequency.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

WhiteBlue wrote: What matters even more is the design of the exhaust system. F1 will be using mono turbos which will pipe the sound of all cylinders into one tail pipe. It is going to increase the effective frequency compared to the V8s. The V8s had only 4 cylinders feeding one tailpipe. The V6s will have all six feeding one tail pipe. Effectively the engine sound will have the same frequency as the higher revving V8s had.
this seems to be saying that the early BRM 1.5 litre V8 (8 tailpipes) should have sounded vastly different to the same engine (later) fitted with 2 tailpipes
it did not sound vastly different

FW17

Tommy Cookers wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: What matters even more is the design of the exhaust system. F1 will be using mono turbos which will pipe the sound of all cylinders into one tail pipe. It is going to increase the effective frequency compared to the V8s. The V8s had only 4 cylinders feeding one tailpipe. The V6s will have all six feeding one tail pipe. Effectively the engine sound will have the same frequency as the higher revving V8s had.
this seems to be saying that the early BRM 1.5 litre V8 (8 tailpipes) should have sounded vastly different to the same engine (later) fitted with 2 tailpipes

:?
Should a V6 with 1 pipe sound like a V12 with 2 pipes?

WhiteBlue

Tommy Cookers wrote:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/02/ ... -f1-noise/
I do not know the particulars of the BRM but I thought that Saward's pal is most likely from Renault Sport considering where he lives. So that source looked quite ok for me.

agip

So the sound will have nothing to do with the V6 1.5L bi-turbo engines of the 80s?
I'm dissapointed! That deep and super-bass sound was great! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mbFRMK3zSk&t=2m28s

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmZDzD5PCs[/youtube]

FW17

Anyway who cares about the sound, it is the tech that matters

Nando
Nando

Then we might as well run electric engines or some other tech.
Sound is definitely part of Formula 1, if they sound like vacuum cleaners then it´s a big disappointment.
(not saying they will)