2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Forghieri wrote:Not all the information, but makes more sense than the google translate version of the former article.
http://m.hupu.com/bbs/3816328.html
Indeed a useful source.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

pgfpro

Holm86 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:From the part "ROLLS WITH EIGHT TIMES MORE STRESS 'HIGH", i get the follwing.

The 2014 spark plugs seem to operate with an energy of 120 mJ and a discharge voltage of 40 kV, compared to 60 mJ and 6kV in the 2012 engines.
And as WB mentioned, the injection system will be controlled by a Magneti Marelli system, not the MES one.

What influence does the higher energy and voltage have on the combustion of the fuel? Does it help to ignite more precisely/faster and therefore maybe can increase the efficiency of the combustion?
It only makes sense to have more energy in the ignition system in the new engines. Charged engines have a higher pressure in the combustion chamber which makes it alot harder to create a spark. The higher the pressure the more energy you need to create a spark.
I agree that the charge engines have higher pressures that require a decent ignition system. IMO I think they will be running very lean "max power" conditions that make ignition even harder for complete combustion without miss-fires. This will be cutting edge technology that we have never seen before with DI. IMO I think they will be running higher boost then what we thought for cooling purposes since PI injection will no longer help combustion temps by endothermic reaction. The intake valves will be open with the exhaust valves open at the same time "longer overlap" to provide extra cooling with just air only, no fuel introduced at this part of the cycle. This will be the process used to pull heat away before the next ignition event.

IMO this will all be the new tech that eventually we will see in our road cars of the future.
building the perfect beast

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

6 kV doesn't sound right for current F1 (or current anything)

our road cars are around 20 - 30 kV ?

20 years ago dragsters went to a 14" distributor to allow 85 kV

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Tommy Cookers wrote:6 kV doesn't sound right for current F1 (or current anything)

our road cars are around 20 - 30 kV ?

20 years ago dragsters went to a 14" distributor to allow 85 kV
The original Italian Source says:

"Oggi giriamo con un'energia di 60 mJ e una tensione di scintilla di 5/6 kg/volt - racconta Roberto Dalla, responsabile di Magneti Marelli Motorsport - La bobina dei motori 2014 sarà capace di 120 mJ e una tensione di scarico di 40 kg/volt, vale a dire otto volte in più di adesso!"

My interpretation of the units kg/volt is kV, because kg/Volt doesn't make sense to me in context with "tensione di scintilla" (IMO thats voltage of spark) and "tensione di scarico" (IMO thats voltage of discharge). Maybe an Italian could give us the right translation?

So maybe the 6kV is the voltage 2012 where the spark is created and the 40 kV is the maximum voltage during discharging 2014?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

This PDF

http://www.aet-auto.de/pdfs/TechnischeI ... kerzen.pdf

mentions on page 2 and 3 voltages of up to 40 kV for modern spark plugs, so it should not be a problem for the F1 engineers these days.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

stez90
stez90

I'm italian: translation is right, it's the article that is not accurate with units..

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

WhiteBlue wrote:I don't speak Italian, so I have put this through a Google translation.
December 7, 2012 16:14
2014: direct injection at 500 bar is a revolution!
Grand Prix will take effect on downsizing by which you can reduce fuel consumption by thirty percent
INJECTION PRESSURE 500 BAR! In this field there will be a real revolution. The current V8 of 2.4 liters aspirated indirect injection feature: the gas is blown into the intake funnel at 100 bar pressure, a value which is half of that achieved in the thrusters JDI of large series production.
MARELLI AND THE 'LEADER IN F.1 The Magneti Marelli is an Italian company that supplies the injectors to all the teams

FLUID DYNAMICS OF COMBUSTION is clear that it has launched a study of fluid dynamics exasperated even during the combustion engine to achieve in reality the same results that are obtained in virtual simulation.In a complete cycle you can guarantee three hits injection and maybe even three switch candle.
FIVE MOTOR FOR A SEASON Having a good propagation of flame in the combustion chamber is very important to avoid the formation of residues which may give rise to phenomena are harmful to the reliability and power consumption. in 2014, in fact, the engines available for a full season will be only five, three less than today.
do the 2014 rules allow there to be more than 1 spark per combustion event ??
(never mind this is valuable for future road cars, not F1)

do the 2014 rules require more engine life, ie only 5 engines ??

matt21

I don´t think it makes sense to have more sparks per combustion. You achive no higher energy by doing this.

I think the engines have to have a longer lifetime compared to today. I think they will have to last about twice the time as they now have to.

WhiteBlue

Tommy Cookers wrote:do the 2014 rules require more engine life, ie only 5 engines ??
Engine life is subject to sporting regulations. It was previously reported that in 2014 only five engines will be allowed per season which will be reduced to four engines from 2015.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

is the penalty (for breaching engine life rules) to be increased ??
is the engine unit to be aggregated eg with gearbox, transmission etc as one life-regulated unit ??

stez90
stez90

matt21 wrote:I don´t think it makes sense to have more sparks per combustion. You achive no higher energy by doing this.
Since 2014 engines are with direct injection they could make more combustions (with separated injections/sparks) per cycles. Maybe it's something related with turbolences in combustion chamber and local air-fuel ratio. Don't know if it could be an advantage in efficiency, but IF they want they could do it.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

pgfpro wrote: ..... IMO this will all be the new tech that eventually we will see in our road cars of the future.
agreed !
but we'll be saving our electrically recovered energy for all-electric city/urban driving (in Europe anyway)
(suits me, I lost interest in stick and clutch work after the first 2 million gearshifts)

matt21

stez90 wrote:
matt21 wrote:I don´t think it makes sense to have more sparks per combustion. You achive no higher energy by doing this.
Since 2014 engines are with direct injection they could make more combustions (with separated injections/sparks) per cycles. Maybe it's something related with turbolences in combustion chamber and local air-fuel ratio. Don't know if it could be an advantage in efficiency, but IF they want they could do it.
You have something like this in diesel engines.
But this is mostly for comfort and emission reasons, e.g. small injection prior to main injection results in a smoother cylinder pressure curve.

If the efficency is high enough and fuel left they can have some kind of anti-lag with late injection/ignition.

langwadt
langwadt

matt21 wrote:
stez90 wrote:
You have something like this in diesel engines.
But this is mostly for comfort and emission reasons, e.g. small injection prior to main injection results in a smoother cylinder pressure curve.

If the efficency is high enough and fuel left they can have some kind of anti-lag with late injection/ignition.
multiple injections/ignitions is probably hard to do at F1 RPMs

and anti-lag with late injection/ignition would probably be illegal under the rules that ban the hot/cold blow exhaust

langwadt
langwadt

pgfpro wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:From the part "ROLLS WITH EIGHT TIMES MORE STRESS 'HIGH", i get the follwing.

The 2014 spark plugs seem to operate with an energy of 120 mJ and a discharge voltage of 40 kV, compared to 60 mJ and 6kV in the 2012 engines.
And as WB mentioned, the injection system will be controlled by a Magneti Marelli system, not the MES one.

What influence does the higher energy and voltage have on the combustion of the fuel? Does it help to ignite more precisely/faster and therefore maybe can increase the efficiency of the combustion?
It only makes sense to have more energy in the ignition system in the new engines. Charged engines have a higher pressure in the combustion chamber which makes it alot harder to create a spark. The higher the pressure the more energy you need to create a spark.
I agree that the charge engines have higher pressures that require a decent ignition system. IMO I think they will be running very lean "max power" conditions that make ignition even harder for complete combustion without miss-fires. This will be cutting edge technology that we have never seen before with DI. IMO I think they will be running higher boost then what we thought for cooling purposes since PI injection will no longer help combustion temps by endothermic reaction. The intake valves will be open with the exhaust valves open at the same time "longer overlap" to provide extra cooling with just air only, no fuel introduced at this part of the cycle. This will be the process used to pull heat away before the next ignition event.

IMO this will all be the new tech that eventually we will see in our road cars of the future.
the way three-way catalyst works you need cycle through rich and lean mixtures to get both HC/CO oxidation and NOx reduction
you can't just blow extra air into the exhaust or run lean all the time the NOx reduction won't work then

things get a lot more complicated when you have to pass emissions test and not just tune for max power/economy