2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Tommy Cookers wrote:a short time window will act against performance enhancement in qualifying (eg 'stealing fuel from the next lap')
Now we finally start talking. So lets have a look at possible manipulations for "short time". You would actually have to steal the fuel from the previous lap and have to store it away in an accumulator to use that strategy. There are a number of obstacles to such a cheat.
  • an accumulator is illegal and if found would make the car illegal
  • an accumulator must be loaded by the control system, such a program would not be available and would require illegal software manipulations
  • regardless of the measuring interval the FiA would discover that the low pressure fuel flow and the high pressure fuel flow would not match
So there are at least three reasons why it would be dumb to try such a cheat.
Tommy Cookers wrote:a longer time window for the race avoids leaning the mixture as rpm exceeds 10500 (surely such leaning is not intended ?)
because it allows eg 1.5cc of fuel saved at around 10500 rpm to be used 1 second later around 11500 rpm
both windows are possible and desirable
Looking at the second cheat during the race you would immediately have the same obstacles. You need an illegal fuel stashing device, you need a control program to accumulate and expend the content of the fuel reservoir and you need to fool the redundant flow control between low and high pressure check points. Our hypothetical cheater is in a very bad position there. I would not want the job. And if someone comes up with a way to do it it will be 100% illegal and no grey exploit of a loop hole.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

only the natural fuel volume of the system is involved

you seem opaque to the basic point regarding the time window
if eg it is 1.5 sec then if the mean consumption over that 1.5 sec is not excessive the car is not cheating

dren

Does the polling time have to be the same for the in tank sensor and the injector sensors? Or are the injector sensors polled, and the in tank sensor 100% data logged for comparison?

If you are looking at average fuel delivery over a time period, it shouldn't require accumulated fuel right? The average of both the in tank sensor and the injector sensors should be equal to each other and should be equal to the calculated average over the rev range of that time period using the fuel flow formula in the regulations. You just have a certain time window to lean and rich.

But, remember:

5.5.5 At any given engine speed the driver torque demand map must be monotonically increasing for an increase in accelerator pedal position. (this might be an issue)
Honda!

WhiteBlue

Tommy Cookers wrote:only the natural fuel volume of the system is involved
I very much doubt that you can stash away sufficient fuel in the normal system to achieve a performance advantage with it. If the plan is simply to use less below 10,500 rpm and use the saved fuel when you go over 10,500 rpm I also see very little use in such a cheat beside the problems to engineer it.
Tommy Cookers wrote:you seem opaque to the basic point regarding the time window
if eg it is 1.5 sec then if the mean consumption over that 1.5 sec is not excessive the car is not cheating
It is very unlikely that the FiA will agree to a measuring interval of 1.5 s. In other paragraphs of the regulation they demand 50 ms as I have quoted higher up.

I still fail to see a useful gap that can be exploited.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

pgfpro

5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors, these signals must be supplied to the FIA data logger.
5.10.5 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.

If I were the rule maker I would run sensors right before the injectors measuring pressure, temperature and flow. Poll sample data at different rpm and load values and pull and bench flow the injectors at the same pressure temperature and flow after the race and compare the data. I might even make the injectors homologated.
building the perfect beast

hollus

Do we have any idea about what these sensors are going to be and how they will work?
pgfpro wrote:5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors...
Not by any chance close to my expertise, but how does one "directly" measure flow? And how does one "directly" measure the temperature and pressure of the less than 0.1mL of fuel? It appears to me that any measurements will necessarily be indirect and rely on some sort of calibration.
Rivals, not enemies.

dren

I would assume calibration curves would be shipped with the FiA supplied sensors.
Honda!

pgfpro

hollus wrote:Do we have any idea about what these sensors are going to be and how they will work?
pgfpro wrote:5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors...
Not by any chance close to my expertise, but how does one "directly" measure flow? And how does one "directly" measure the temperature and pressure of the less than 0.1mL of fuel? It appears to me that any measurements will necessarily be indirect and rely on some sort of calibration.

http://youtu.be/oK2LGTPw2ls
Last edited by pgfpro on 09 Jan 2013, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

hollus wrote:Do we have any idea about what these sensors are going to be and how they will work?
I quoted the product that was mentioned by racecar engineering some posts further up. It is made by Gill sensors. look here

The sensor principle is ultrasonic and it is capable of measuring pulsing flow by an accumulative measurement. The "direct" measurement requirement most likely applies to the measuring method. Common indirect measurements work by measuring pressure drop over a flow obstacle.

Source explaining ultrasonic flow metering The Gill sensor most likely has temperature and pressure sensing incorporated because the physical sensing principle is dependent of those variables. For a reliable signal the sensor would have to be equipped with integrated pressure and temperature sensing to work autonomously.

WhiteBlue

pgfpro wrote: I might even make the injectors homologated.
This was the approach by the rule makers in the prior version from July 2011. The injection system was standardized. But that approach to a certain degree defeats the objective of stimulating the development of fuel saving technologies. Hence the new version of the rule published in December 2012 takes a different approach relying on redundant measurement both at the low pressure and high pressure level. The data from both measurements have to be communicated to the FiA data collection device (ADR) and will be monitored by telemetry from race control. One assumes that there will be back ground checks on different cars at different times to establish rule conformity.

FW17

pgfpro

One point for you!!! Very nice pic. =D>

turbof1

Oh shiny!

Also autosport article:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105080
#AeroFrodo

FW17

#-o
If all engines are like that, wonder what will happen to a williams like gearbox

matt21