2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

WilliamsF1 wrote:#-o
If all engines are like that, wonder what will happen to a williams like gearbox

autogyro
autogyro

Looks like a torturous route for the exhaust manifold to join the turbine housing.
If it is like that in the car, it will be a devils own job to prevent heat loss from the manifolds.

Whats the big box on the top, heat exchanger for charge cooling?
I would have expected the charge cooler to be in the side pods and to be much bigger.

If the unit between the compressor and turbine is the MG, that might have a cooling issue as well.

otbsti

Good question on the box on the top... I'd be surprised if it was the intercooler setup or just a generic cover as to not give away any secrets, but it's hard to say. I'd expect that the 2014 cars will lose the top air inlet above the drivers heads for aerodynamic purposes and go back to the style of the MP4-4 with an open roll hoop. It would make the most sense, but I haven't looked over the rules so I'm not sure if that's even a possibility.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

PlatinumZealot

matt21 wrote:Image
Single entry turbine.
Same side mounted exhausts?

This is a very conventional and conservative design when compared to the Ranault!

How in the world is the exhaust supposed to reach the turbine?

The only gain from this setup is optimal intake port angles. And cheaper R&D costs. Just my knee-jerk reaction.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

otbsti

To the best of my knowledge, the turbine has to be located in that location along the centerline of the engine and can only have one inlet.

*Edit: after some research on the Renault motor, I'd guess the one inlet thing is wrong... at least after seeing the CAD mock ups of their motor. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Mercedes is showing their hand at this stage. They won't even release a sound clip as they're worried someone could pick up on something by listening to it.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

rajs41
rajs41

Did this engine need air intake? Maybe for KERS?

Ferraripilot

It appears by the look of the turbo vane that it also incorporates energy harvesting for the ERS system. Expect the battery placement to obviously be elsewhere and the ERS unit to be somehow incorporated to the gearbox itself. I'm certain that gone are the days of harvesting energy from braking with these new units. With the turbo spooling at 125k, there is more than enough energy making it a waste to not further harness such energy to charge the ERS systems.

There will be a fight I suspect in the development of ultra-sensitive turbo harvesting sleeves which charge more than others to squeeze out an additional few bhp.

timbo
timbo

Is it somehow possible that only one cylinder bank feeds the turbine?

garrett
garrett

Obviously the so-called "sound discussion" is virtually over now, as some selected journalists were allowed to listen for the first time what the sound of the new engine is about: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ostpopular

Holm86

But why do Mercedes reveal pictures of a complete engine this soon?? To put pressure on FIA to keep the engine regulations for 2014??

WhiteBlue

n smikle wrote:
matt21 wrote:Image
Single entry turbine.
Nope. Twin scroll is allowed and very likely the solution of choice. The MGU-H is realistic in the way it is shown. Cooling for the MGU-H is most likely liquid, hence the compact shape. If you look you can even see the plumbing for the cooling on the MGU-H.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... s-awesome/

Good read!!

Mercedes also confirmed that the 2014 engines will have 6 in 1 exhaust configs. The regs allow two exhaust pipes but it appears only one will be used.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

Image[/quote]

Clever drawing.
When are you going to show us the real one?

I dont think the 10 inch rear wheels will work very well.
I suppose that is because of the crank height difference to the reference plane v8 to v6.
If the 2014 Williams is like that, you have got an awful lot to cram in the side pods.
Love the stove pipe at the back though.

PlatinumZealot

OK mr. pedantic. 8) I meant one volute.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

WhiteBlue

n smikle wrote:OK mr. pedantic. 8) I meant one volute.
This still seems not clear. By scroll turbo engineers usually describe how many floods you introduce into the exhaust turbine. If the turbine is flooded by a separate three in one pipe from each cylinder bank a turbo for a V6 is called twin scroll. Your expression "volute" seems to describe the same thing. Twin scrolling is allowed under the 2014 regs. You may have two entries to the turbine but you may have only one turbine and one turbine stage.

Even the type of turbine is free although the use of radial units for the turbine and the compressor are widely expected reflecting the traditional design. But there is also the opportunity in the regs to come up with an axial design which has been used by turbo compounding aircraft engines in the fifties. Axial turbines would have higher efficiencies but they provide packaging challenges. My biggest gripe with the rules is that they prohibit variable geometries for the turbines and the vanes.

On the other hand that isn't quite such a problem with the hybrid electrically assisted turbo. The inclusion of the MGU-H in the regs is providing a real engineering challenge in terms of control strategies and reliability. You have to be aware that only five complete power units including the hybrid turbo and power electronics package will be available per driver next year. So if you have a turbo failure or an electric fault you loose one of your precious five units.

We are going to have some excitement I guess. Reliability will count as much as performance. I imagine that the Magneti Marelli supplied teams will be already sweating bullets when the think about the 2012 alternator experience. The MGU-H will have much more exposure to heat and will be hugely more powerful than the current alternator with a very tricky bearing solution for the whole turbo unit. So we will see dramatic failures I bet. Something we are not used to any more.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)