Which exhaust do you take?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Which exhaust would you take?

McLaren's
43%
Red Bull ramp
57%

Total votes: 87

Spacepace

Re: Which exhaust do you take?

wesley123 wrote:Is there really a surface to attach to? Well you have the small tunnel in which the exhaust exits, but from out there, there is nothing the exhaust can attach to to use the shown effect
I mean once it leaves the ramp/trough it wants to go to attach to the floor

rssh

I voted for the REDBULL exhaust because firstly after looking at the kitchen torch pictures I can only analyze that the RBR ramp gives more direction to the exhausts to flow better than the Coanda ones .

The MACCA exhaust is excellent in its own rights (that why many teams have copied it) because it is a bit simpler exhaust to implement than the RBR ones but since there is no ramp at high speeds the air which was being directed downwards by the coanda will meet air rushing at high speeds running parallel to the road and hence the direction of the exhaust flow will be a bit disrupted so no sealing the diffuser completely .

I really didn't understand why the tunnels were getting smaller as the season progressed because more airflow to the starter hole will be beneficial (or a more compact sidepod more beneficial)

wesley123
wesley123

rssh wrote:I voted for the REDBULL exhaust because firstly after looking at the kitchen torch pictures I can only analyze that the RBR ramp gives more direction to the exhausts to flow better than the Coanda ones .
We are looking at the whole package here. The Exhaust Ramp might give more direct flow, but it blocks most of the coke bottle, the tunnel was hard to get right too as Red Bull themselves shown.

I really didn't understand why the tunnels were getting smaller as the season progressed because more airflow to the starter hole will be beneficial (or a more compact sidepod more beneficial)
Not all is going to the starter hole.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

Didnt they make it just one large tunnel for the last races instead of the 2 seperated by a wall they ran mid season ?

Spacepace

Huntresa wrote:
Didnt they make it just one large tunnel for the last races instead of the 2 seperated by a wall they ran mid season ?
Hey but the second tunnel on the original version was feeding the starter motor hole. The large one was just directed over the floor.

rssh

Can anyone tell me what was the purpose for the smaller second tunnel alongside the larger one (for KERS cooling :?: )

wesley123
wesley123

How about you at least read the last post made before yours and find out the answer?

rssh

wesley123 wrote:How about you at least read the last post made before yours and find out the answer?
The starter hole is in the middle of the car and the smaller tunnel are to the outside to the larger tunnel so does it mean that the bigger tunnel and smaller tunnel are crossed at some point also looking at the floor plate images of RB8 (in RB8 thread) the smaller tunnel is not shown as such . I am confused :roll:

raymondu999

CFD analysis of both exhausts by our very own Amorous Z:
http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... g-cfd.html
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

hello people looking at the previous post i came up with an idea, now im not saying it would work so dont bash me if its nonsense. i did a quick drawing and i'll explain it the best i can

white pencil = cold air
grey pencil = hot air

its pretty simple overall the white pencil is the cold air going around the side of the sidepod, it then enters a tunnel (like the redbull version) and exits over the top of the bodywork above the diffuser. the coanda exhaust goes all the way down to the side of the of the diffuser, i was thinking the exhaust flow would stick to the surface of the tunnel all the way so that it could seal the side of the diffuser (the pencil colour). now this is where im not sure it will work, as you can see from the side drawing theres a gap above the diffuser and the cold air going over the diffuser (this is the bodywork above the diffuser i mentioned earlier). there is pencil colour coming out of this gap which would be the internal heat (from the radiators, engine, etc). this extends the whole width of the diffuser. so i have the coanda sealing the side of the diffuser and the internal heat bodywork above the diffuser sealing the top in hope of essentially extending the diffuser. so there would be no gills or openings, just a long slot along the top of the diffuser. what do you think?

wesley123
wesley123

rssh wrote:
wesley123 wrote:How about you at least read the last post made before yours and find out the answer?
The starter hole is in the middle of the car and the smaller tunnel are to the outside to the larger tunnel so does it mean that the bigger tunnel and smaller tunnel are crossed at some point also looking at the floor plate images of RB8 (in RB8 thread) the smaller tunnel is not shown as such . I am confused :roll:
"Hey but the second tunnel on the original version was feeding the starter motor hole."

ringo

Spacepace wrote:
Interesting. Can I get you to expand on the point you made about the exhaust being effected by the free stream speed and the Red Bull exhaust being chuted right where it needs to be. Are you implying that the exhaust on the RB8 actually will curve down and land inbetween the diffuser and tyre?
The Mclaren's exhaust air flow and the ferrari's came off the bodywork over an air gap then onto the floor.
That air gap is the free stream. Depending on the air speed and the turbulence or whatever exists in the region, it will affect the direction of the exhuast flow as it comes off the bodywork. Keep in mind that it's the body work where the coanda works.
After the bodywork the effect is over, it's all flow trajectory.
Redbull's coanda continues since the bodywork is still supporting the flow. Free stream air, hence vehicle speed, wont have such a big effect on where the exhaust lands. This is why ferrari had a problem with their exhaust overheating the tyres, the level of control of the flow wasn't as high as newey's design.
For Sure!!

turbof1

raymondu999 wrote:CFD analysis of both exhausts by our very own Amorous Z:
Was very interesting to read. However it did not took into account the effect on the normal airflow. Obviously the red bull ramp is much better at directing airflow, but it comes at a price: as mentioned before, alot of the coke bottle is sealed off, obstructing the normal airflow.
Much more importantly though might be the diffusion of the plume. Where the red bull one keeps a concentrated stream of gas, judging from the CFD, the Mclaren diffuses more.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

turbof1 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:CFD analysis of both exhausts by our very own Amorous Z:
Was very interesting to read. However it did not took into account the effect on the normal airflow. Obviously the red bull ramp is much better at directing airflow, but it comes at a price: as mentioned before, alot of the coke bottle is sealed off, obstructing the normal airflow.
Much more importantly though might be the diffusion of the plume. Where the red bull one keeps a concentrated stream of gas, judging from the CFD, the Mclaren diffuses more.
well, ofc i took the normal airflow into consideration while carrying out the test! but i only illustrated the exhaust flow to make it clearer!

turbof1

I might have said that wrong. In the CFD you would of course have implemented that airflow into your model; what I am aiming is that the better exhaust comes at a price for the normal airflow, thus a better guided exhaust flow isn't necessarily the better solution overall (though I still believe the red bull one is).
#AeroFrodo