2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
King Six
King Six

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Does anyone know what happened to PURE? Also what are Cosworth doing? It seems like we're only going to have three engine manufacturers for next season by the looks of things.

ringo

Cosworth has the ecoboost they are currently using in the ford cars, i really wonder why they don't apply that experience to F1 and use F1 as a platform to prove their ecoboost technology. That engine is as close to the the 2014 F1 engine in principle than any other road engine made by the other manufacturers.
For Sure!!

FW17

ecoboost has nothing to do with cosworth, just as ford has nothing to do with cosworth

dren

wuzak wrote:There will be fuel saving, just so they can get to the end of the race. My understanding is that there may be a fuel allowance for each race.

In any case, F1 teams will put as little fuel into the car as they think they can get away with, and manage the fuel usage to get to the end. As they do now.
I can see a "fuel saving" mode activated if there are issues with the electric side of things that pop up during a race. Because of the fuel mass flow limitations, I would expect teams to run at max for the whole race and fill accordingly.

I haven't read the sporting regulations for 2014, but if you have to qualify on full fuel tanks, you could short fuel at a track like Monaco and run on a reduced fuel map if you think it would help to qualify at the front.
Honda!

wuzak
wuzak

dren wrote:
wuzak wrote:There will be fuel saving, just so they can get to the end of the race. My understanding is that there may be a fuel allowance for each race.

In any case, F1 teams will put as little fuel into the car as they think they can get away with, and manage the fuel usage to get to the end. As they do now.
I can see a "fuel saving" mode activated if there are issues with the electric side of things that pop up during a race. Because of the fuel mass flow limitations, I would expect teams to run at max for the whole race and fill accordingly.

I haven't read the sporting regulations for 2014, but if you have to qualify on full fuel tanks, you could short fuel at a track like Monaco and run on a reduced fuel map if you think it would help to qualify at the front.
There are no fuel tank limitations under the current rules. Yet at most tracks the teams don't fill up the car to the maximum, nor do they put in the amount they would need for flat out racing. They use 5-10kg less than ideal and save fuel to make it to the end. I expect similar for 2014.

Also, there may be a fuel limit - say 100l - per race.

Qualifying will still be low fuel.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

wuzak wrote: There are no fuel tank limitations under the current rules. Yet at most tracks the teams don't fill up the car to the maximum, nor do they put in the amount they would need for flat out racing. They use 5-10kg less than ideal and save fuel to make it to the end. I expect similar for 2014.
current cars are power limited by size and rpm, not by fuel quantity
current cars run very rich mixtures much of the time, a small gain in power is thereby available inefficiently, at the expense of of disproportionate consumption and very high fuel weight early in the race, also fuel weight is very much higher than 2014
the tradoff of these two factors determines how much fuel they choose to use inefficiently
fuel capacity limit is 195 litres I think

2014 cars will be able to get power proportionate to all fuel use allowed, all fuel used can and will be used efficiently
their fuel load is much less anyway
as ever, fuel not needed will not be carried, but they will not sacrifice (efficient) power to save small fuel weight

dren

Yes, efficient power is the key.
Honda!

wuzak
wuzak

Tommy Cookers wrote:
wuzak wrote: There are no fuel tank limitations under the current rules. Yet at most tracks the teams don't fill up the car to the maximum, nor do they put in the amount they would need for flat out racing. They use 5-10kg less than ideal and save fuel to make it to the end. I expect similar for 2014.
current cars are power limited by size and rpm, not by fuel quantity
current cars run very rich mixtures much of the time, a small gain in power is thereby available inefficiently, at the expense of of disproportionate consumption and very high fuel weight early in the race, also fuel weight is very much higher than 2014
the tradoff of these two factors determines how much fuel they choose to use inefficiently
fuel capacity limit is 195 litres I think

2014 cars will be able to get power proportionate to all fuel use allowed, all fuel used can and will be used efficiently
their fuel load is much less anyway
as ever, fuel not needed will not be carried, but they will not sacrifice (efficient) power to save small fuel weight
It is exactly what they do now. They don't have to limit themselves, but they do.

Why? It isn't because of the difference between rich and lean mixture power, as you cite (which I am sure is more than you are crediting it), but because weight = loss of performance. 10kg can be worth as much as 0.5s per lap on some circuits.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

we know that 2014 fuel weight (relative to car weight) will be only about 60% of that currently (and falling thereafter)
so leaving useful fuel in the pits must be a loser IMO
(even current cars are fuelled far more than the minimum needed for full throttle driving)

the 2014 rules were designed to constrain the cars lap speed by limiting fuel rate
not to constrain race speed by limiting fuel quantity without limit on rate
because that would be seen as an economy run, preventing real racing

the 2014 rules were (crudely speaking) written by the current participants
they were written around a fuel rate limit because the current participants all wanted that (to be accessing that limit)

if you think they will use less than the full fuel rate in 2014, what happens when eg the rate is reduced to 80 kg/hr in 2017 ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 31 Jan 2013, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa
rjsa

Formula 1 is not flat out racing from start to end. It does not work like that.

Drivers have to control the pace, nurse the car and the tyres so nothing goes bang.

And knwoing that there is no reason to top it to the brim ang go back home with fuel in the tank.

ringo

WilliamsF1 wrote:ecoboost has nothing to do with cosworth, just as ford has nothing to do with cosworth
Just as renault team has nothing to do with infiniti. :wink:

I'm not British, I sometimes get mixed up with american ford and british ford and cosworth. Still a good idea though! :lol:
For Sure!!

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

ringo wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:ecoboost has nothing to do with cosworth, just as ford has nothing to do with cosworth
Just as renault team has nothing to do with infiniti. :wink:

I'm not British, I sometimes get mixed up with american ford and british ford and cosworth. Still a good idea though! :lol:

actually Renault is involved with Infiniti. Renault has a 44.3% share in Nissan and Nissan has a 15% share in Renault. Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan so Renault basically part own Infiniti lol. Cosworth were an engine builder for Ford just like they were for Mercedes but they're not owned by Ford. I think Cosworth have worked on the new Focus ST Ecoboost engine but they have only developed it not built it. Ecoboost is just a name for small engine, Ti-VCT (Twin independent Variable Camshaft Timing) and a turbo charger, so you get good fuel milage from the small engine and the the power of a larger displacement engine from the turbo, maybe if Ford have something to do with the new 1.6 V6 turbo engine for 2014 they will call it Ecoboost for commercial reasons but i cant see it happening.

FW17

Ecoboost is just a name for small engine, Ti-VCT (Twin independent Variable Camshaft Timing) and a turbo charger
Funny that every road car engine has some form of variable valve timing mechanism, but for the road relevant 2014 f1 engine it is banned by the FIA.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Ecoboost is just a name for small engine, Ti-VCT (Twin independent Variable Camshaft Timing) and a turbo charger
Funny that every road car engine has some form of variable valve timing mechanism, but for the road relevant 2014 f1 engine it is banned by the FIA.
Is VCT really that beneficial when you're only operating over the narrow range of 10k rpm to 12.5k rpm?

FW17

Cold Fussion wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
Is VCT really that beneficial when you're only operating over the narrow range of 10k rpm to 12.5k rpm?

If it did not have any benefit then why ban them?