The relative benefits of a pull rod suspension

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: The relative benefits of a pull rod suspension

I suppose it is an attempt by Macca to keep both front wheels on the ground.
I dont see a problem with the lower nose next year.

hollus

The pull rod is shorter end to end. It places less stuff in the airflow, probably reducing drag a tiny bit.
Rivals, not enemies.

Richard
Richard

I can imagine quality of air flow feeding the rest of the car would be an important factor (as opposed to saving drag on the rods)

munudeges
munudeges

A lower nose would actually suit a pull-rod. I've still not seen any solid reasons as to why teams would be using it now.

mep

heho07 wrote:Scarbs said:Teams could find a benefit in front pull rod, but the 2014 low nose regulations are unlikely to pullrod, so any gain would be for just one year.

But i though that in 2014 pullrod will work better due to lower nose that increase pullrod degree relative to horizontal line.
Do anyone know Why did scarbs say tha ?
Thanks.
If he really said that then he is simply wrong.
Pullrods will obviously work better the lower the nose becomes. I guess a main reason why some teams change now is to be better prepared for next year where most teams will change. Aero wise it is not making a big difference but kinematics are worse because the highly angled wishbones lead to a high roll center, jacking, and scrub.
Pull rods wont generate a lower center of gravity. The packaging in the nose is really tight. Even with a push rod are some components placed low in the nose as well as some will be placed high with a pull rod. Especially when you take into account that the pedal assembly already takes some of the lower space in the nose.

PlatinumZealot

I don't always agree with Scarbs but to be fair to him, he is looking at the air flow going towards the front splitter. He probably thinks that the pull rod knuckles will distrub the air flow down there. Very unliklely though as you alrady have the A-arm flextures in the way.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

A new point of view:
It's better for brake duct design and brake cooling.
The push rod was placed where the majority of the brake duct work was located.
The pull rod is the opposite, it's out of the way of the brake system.

For some reason i feel the pull rod suspension has more pure and natural motion than a push rod; less binding on the macroscopic level. I think there may be less vibration transfer with the tensile member than the compressive one too. That's a few weak benefits and are yet to be proven, but just a feeling.
For Sure!!