Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
korzeniow
korzeniow

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

dren wrote:Where will they find more DF on the W04? The refined sidepod exhaust outlets likely helped a bit at the rear.
That's hard to say. The car essentially looks the same as last year's W03, which was a disapointing car (concept?). They didn't go for diffrent design which to me means that they are more focused towards 2014 and this year they will be just crusing.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

korzeniow
korzeniow

richard_leeds wrote:We don't know if the W04 has more or less DF compared to other cars unless someone has CFD vision. Also we've only had the first round of tests, so we don't even know how fast it is compared to other cars. We don't know if its tyres wear more than others. We'll need a few races before we know its relative performance, and even that'll be conjecture.
Lewis said that the car lacks downforce compared to last year's McLaren
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

amouzouris

korzeniow wrote:
dren wrote:Where will they find more DF on the W04? The refined sidepod exhaust outlets likely helped a bit at the rear.
That's hard to say. The car essentially looks the same as last year's W03, which was a disapointing car (concept?). They didn't go for diffrent design which to me means that they are more focused towards 2014 and this year they will be just crusing.
The car might look the same but it isn't...there are a lot of changes to last year's W03... subtle changes, probably not enough to gain the performance they need, but changes none the less

gray41

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21417831

Car not looking to bad then...
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

PlatinumZealot

korzeniow wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:We don't know if the W04 has more or less DF compared to other cars unless someone has CFD vision. Also we've only had the first round of tests, so we don't even know how fast it is compared to other cars. We don't know if its tyres wear more than others. We'll need a few races before we know its relative performance, and even that'll be conjecture.
Lewis said that the car lacks downforce compared to last year's McLaren
You can't really use the first version of the car to say if the car has good or bad downforce. All that you see in the first day of testing is a 2013 chassis, with 2012 floor and wings... Correct me if I;m wrong, but I am pretty sure the chassis doesn't make so much downforce on its own.. so pretty much you can only judge the W04 when all the 2013 parts are bolted on.

Meredes had an upgraded car on Friday which included a 2013 front wing and 2013 rear engine cover. Hamilton said then that the car had much improved downforce.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Testarossa2012
Testarossa2012

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

n smikle wrote:
Testarossa2012 wrote:Hi, pals. I was in Jerez the last day of the test. They after Lewis crashed his car because of the brake fail.

These are some pictures I shot:

I hope you like them!
Yeah, they look professional. I am liking the front wing in this shot:

Here you have a closer shot of the front wing:

I have compared that front wing with Ferrari's, Red Bull's, Williams' and McLaren's. Check it:
http://formula12012testjerez.blogspot.c ... rison.html

Richard
Richard

The steering wheel conversation is very informative with comparison of different drivers, teams and years. So I've created a new thread for it :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=14662

dren

n smikle wrote:You can't really use the first version of the car to say if the car has good or bad downforce. All that you see in the first day of testing is a 2013 chassis, with 2012 floor and wings... Correct me if I;m wrong, but I am pretty sure the chassis doesn't make so much downforce on its own.. so pretty much you can only judge the W04 when all the 2013 parts are bolted on.

Meredes had an upgraded car on Friday which included a 2013 front wing and 2013 rear engine cover. Hamilton said then that the car had much improved downforce.
The floor on the car is new compared to last year, I'm assuming you mean diffuser/floor. I do expect an updated rear wing and some strakes on the top of the floor. Where did Lewis say the updates improved the DF?
Honda!

Unc1e_M0nty

korzeniow wrote:Lewis said that the car lacks downforce compared to last year's McLaren
Button has said the same thing about this years McLaren !

It still very early days, both drivers have said it's a car they can work with & develop, that encouraging to me.

turbof1

Lewis also said the car is exactly where he hoped it to be. I kinda feel like the 2 statements are a bit contradicting eachother. Surely you aren't hoping that your new car has less DF then your previous?
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

We can't read anything into the comments, it's all PR piffle. Its only winter testing, they're running a first iteration car on a freezing cold track, plus the car doesn't have the full aero kit yet.

PlatinumZealot

Guys we have to realise that a new "revolutionary" design 2013 pre-season car would never have as much down-force as a late season 2012 car. its just not going to happen in the first winter test... Your 2012 wings and diffuser design just aint gonna be in harmony with a totally different car.

Rememeber its the Front wing, floor and Rear wing thats makes most of the downforce..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SchumiSutil
SchumiSutil

turbof1 wrote:Lewis also said the car is exactly where he hoped it to be. I kinda feel like the 2 statements are a bit contradicting eachother. Surely you aren't hoping that your new car has less DF then your previous?
He always said he did not expect miracles. I don't think it's contradicting. The new W04 is surely a good step forward from the W03, but not enough to match the best car of last GP, which was only 2 and a half months ago. It is as simple as that, I believe.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

turbof1 wrote:Lewis also said the car is exactly where he hoped it to be. I kinda feel like the 2 statements are a bit contradicting eachother. Surely you aren't hoping that your new car has less DF then your previous?
Lewis is an earnest guy and a brilliant driver, but he talks a lot and doesn't necessarily know what he's on about sometimes. ("That was the best race I've ever driven.")

I'm guessing he can drag the W04 onto several podiums this year. Let's let them work and see what happens.

Pup
Pup

Mika isn't impressed...
Two-time Formula 1 World Champion Mika Häkkinen does not expect Mercedes to be fighting at the front of the field this season, explaining that the Brackley-based team's new car is slower than he had anticipated. Following the opening test at Jerez, the Finn instead expects Lewis Hamilton's former outfit, McLaren, to set the pace.

"I have a strong feeling that McLaren is in top form this year," Häkkinen said during an interview with the BBC on Tuesday. "As we saw at testing in Jerez, the Mercedes wasn't as fast as I expected them to be, so I don't see them competing too much this year."
I wonder if his relationship with Haug is coloring his opinion here. Regardless, I'd think he'd find it hard to collect a paycheck from Mercedes while tipping the the team that's slowly but surely becoming their arch rival.