Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

n smikle wrote:My preliminary CFD simulations show that the DRD is a down-force adder in its normal state. And when it switches the air jets turn off and the down-force and some drag is reduced.
Fantastic! Great to know your CFD simulations agree with what James Allison publicly announced about the device last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

scarbs
scarbs

n smikle wrote:
Scarbs is always full of words but never numbers. He didn't say whether the Passive F-duct (that is what the DRD essentially) is, gives down-force or takes it away.. He also has no interior details on the switch itself. 8)

Again guys, I will say this... most of these F1 "puzzles" are usually solved first on this very website, then copied by others. You can find the answer you just to have confidence and think for yourself, or even discuss the concept with others. Guys like Scarb's and Keith Kollantine aren't always right.

My preliminary CFD simulations show that the DRD is a down-force adder in its normal state. And when it switches the air jets turn off and the down-force and some drag is reduced.
I don't know what your issue is with me, I think your recent posts are unfounded and unnecessarily critical.

I don't post numbers, I cant post numbers, who else can? Only the teams themselves know the numbers any development adds to their car. I'd love to see your numbers for Mercedes DRD?

I have posted a clear image of how the 'switch' is laid out, based on pictures of the real device and with words to explain how it works, I have also tested this device in 2D CFD and explained its limitations.

I have frequently put forward that the DRD does not add downforce, in fact I'm sure it costs downforce from the blockage effect and air bleeding from the stalling "L" duct at lower speeds. I believe this explains the comments from James Alison that the system currently costs laptime and the top speed boost doesn't pay for itself.

Neither can I see how perpendicular blowing, normal the wings surface, can add downforce. Tangential blowing yes, but that isn't how I see the slots are configured.

Coefficient
Coefficient

scarbs wrote:
n smikle wrote:
Scarbs is always full of words but never numbers. He didn't say whether the Passive F-duct (that is what the DRD essentially) is, gives down-force or takes it away.. He also has no interior details on the switch itself. 8)

Again guys, I will say this... most of these F1 "puzzles" are usually solved first on this very website, then copied by others. You can find the answer you just to have confidence and think for yourself, or even discuss the concept with others. Guys like Scarb's and Keith Kollantine aren't always right.

My preliminary CFD simulations show that the DRD is a down-force adder in its normal state. And when it switches the air jets turn off and the down-force and some drag is reduced.
I don't know what your issue is with me, I think your recent posts are unfounded and unnecessarily critical.

I don't post numbers, I cant post numbers, who else can? Only the teams themselves know the numbers any development adds to their car. I'd love to see your numbers for Mercedes DRD?

I have posted a clear image of how the 'switch' is laid out, based on pictures of the real device and with words to explain how it works, I have also tested this device in 2D CFD and explained its limitations.

I have frequently put forward that the DRD does not add downforce, in fact I'm sure it costs downforce from the blockage effect and air bleeding from the stalling "L" duct at lower speeds. I believe this explains the comments from James Alison that the system currently costs laptime and the top speed boost doesn't pay for itself.

Neither can I see how perpendicular blowing, normal the wings surface, can add downforce. Tangential blowing yes, but that isn't how I see the slots are configured.
Indeed Scarbs! Sometimes it seems people just like to be deliberatly argumentative or inflamatory on this forum lately. The amount of bickering and general thread deviation has been making catching up on these F1 car threads very tedious indeed! As always, we the genuinely interested are ever grateful for your contributions so please don't stop!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

autogyro
autogyro

If the Lotus system is a passive air switch, it could also blow air over the rear wing at lower speeds to 'increase' downforce, as well as switching to a flow disrupting blow at the speed required.

LotusF1
LotusF1

n smikle wrote:
kris wrote:
stefan_ wrote:One of the differences that doesn't qualify it as an "f-duct" is that the driver has no influence on the system in directing the air or allowing/disrupting airflow to go to the main flap.
I do understand that part.. I was wondering more in terms of the theory behind the concept?

I would love to see how you set up your CFD case. That would make us ALL laugh I think... 8)

Litmus
Litmus

To N Smikle - I seem to recall Scarbs pointing others to your work via Twitter when you were modelling exhaust flows this time last year so a little bemused as to why you're having a crack at him. And Keith for that matter.

aral
aral

Litmus wrote:To N Smikle - I seem to recall Scarbs pointing others to your work via Twitter when you were modelling exhaust flows this time last year so a little bemused as to why you're having a crack at him. And Keith for that matter.
What has all this to do with the Merc?

Smikle has a point, and so does Scarbs. Both have been wrong on occasions, but both are entitled to their opinions.

I come to the forum to see factual technical matters, not to see personal bickering!

amouzouris

Personally I thing that nsmikle is saying that the device is adding downforce just for the sake of saying something different. If he did carry out a cfd test then he would see how big of a disturbance the periscope is even without blowing.
Furthermore I think that he is being ungrateful and far too critical of scarbs.
I agree with scarbs, and so that i don't get accused as well of being 'full of words'...here:

Does it remind you of anything?

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... -test.html

Gridlock

Fascinating stuff, could you post a version without the tube to show the difference on the pressure map?

amouzouris

Gridlock wrote:Fascinating stuff, could you post a version without the tube to show the difference on the pressure map?
I will have to run the whole test again! But i will do it because it would be a good comparison!

Richard
Richard

Gridlock wrote:Fascinating stuff, could you post a version without the tube to show the difference on the pressure map?
We have a 43 page thread devoted to the Lotus blown wing. :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 376246&f=6

Lets get back to the W04 on here please.

MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

Interesting article about the W04 in German:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 55931.html

It's said that the car is more than 2 sec faster than the old one. But it's of course only a speculation, nothing more.

gray41

Would be a good step if true, with a car that has a solid base for once.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Raptor22
Raptor22

MercedesAMG wrote:Interesting article about the W04 in German:

It's said that the car is more than 2 sec faster than the old one. But it's of course only a speculation, nothing more.

thats what they said about W03 as well...

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

MercedesAMG wrote:Interesting article about the W04 in German:

More than 2 secs faster with the same rules and with a more or less basic design? :wtf:

2 Secs are a world in F1, if they have something as effective as the DDD or the EBD, then it would be somehow reasonable, but at least I couldn't spot something revolutionary yet...

Lets assume its true anyway, so lets calculate compared to last year, where they were ca. 1s behind at the end of the season.
This years tires are supposed to be faster, say 0.5s.

So of the 2s compared to last year they would be 0.5s in front this year if the others would be sleeping.