Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F138

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

sirexilon wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:What if they were actually blowing air out of that hole, stalling the airflow beneath the nose/tub and creating (more?) lift at the front of the car?
Why would they lift the front end of the car? to loose Front grip so it's harder to turn?
If used as part of a passive drag reduction device, it could reduce down force at the front of the car at high speed.

:-k

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

surely it would be pretty hard to blow air forward at high speed?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

What about just downward?

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

but the hole is facing forward

Sombrero
Sombrero

Scalabroni explanations are not very encouraging for Ferrari and McLaren as we know that the new 2013 P-Zero will have higher tyre degradation...

Hail22

(Posted by Greg on Advrider.com...don't know if he is the creator/source)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Redragon

Sombrero wrote:Scalabroni explanations are not very encouraging for Ferrari and McLaren as we know that the new 2013 P-Zero will have higher tyre degradation...
I understood that it was the contrary. It is a bit messy explanation. What I got from there is Ferrari and Mclaren their approach is conservative so temperature of tyres is lower and tyres last longer. And the rest they approach is more agresive so the tyre has high temperature and degradation is higher. Maybe explain this agresive approach why the Redbull wing flex with a foam nose

stefan_
stefan_

Redragon wrote:
Sombrero wrote:Scalabroni explanations are not very encouraging for Ferrari and McLaren as we know that the new 2013 P-Zero will have higher tyre degradation...
I understood that it was the contrary. It is a bit messy explanation. What I got from there is Ferrari and Mclaren their approach is conservative so temperature of tyres is lower and tyres last longer. And the rest they approach is more agresive so the tyre has high temperature and degradation is higher. Maybe explain this agresive approach why the Redbull wing flex with a foam nose
Actually it's the other way around. Ferrari & McL solution can heat the tires better, have more air fed under the car (aero advantage) but can lose in the long run during the race due to possible higher tyre degradation while the others lose something from the aerodynamic point of vew but can gain from the tyres lasting longer.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

shelly
shelly

Hail22 wrote:http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 661103.jpg

(Posted by Greg on Advrider.com...don't know if he is the creator/source)
This image was yesterday on italian Gazzetta dello sport. It is by Giorgio Piola. In the related article he highlights the coupling between the under-chin inlet and the notch on the pillars. From the two notches two vortices detach, and the inlet has a role on making them converge and probably pass in between the two turning vanes, creating low pressure on the lower inlet lip and increasing the effect of the turning vanes.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Artur Craft

How buky Ferrari's sidepods are compared to Sauber's

I seriously think F138 is gonna eat lot's of C32's dust, at least in some aero tracks.
Last edited by Artur Craft on 16 Feb 2013, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Well, Scalabroni explanation is, on my view, on the short side. It seems logical that a more extreme suspension geometry,, like Ferrari and McLaren's, might lead to an increased tyre consumption per se but, there are 2 points that he might have understimated. 1st, the fact that Ferrari already run an extreme geometry last year and knows pretty much what the downsides are. 2nd, and not least important, that the aero gain they might have with it might increase tyre usage efficiency. More aero efficiency leads to less skid and, therefore, to less shear stress due to lateral movement of the tyre

ringo

bhallg2k wrote: Really? Have you seen precisely where inducted flow is vented to cool the driver, or have you only seen what appears to be an inlet in an area that merely suggests it serves to cool something somewhere? Speculation is speculation is speculation; you can't have it both ways.

(Personally, I think a champagne shower on the podium is easily the most effective way to cool a driver. That's just me, though.)

Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something. If any of us knew exactly what's going on, we'd be employed by a team. But, because we don't and are not, we share our ideas here.
Haha on elyptical drink, (but the redbull has won all it's championships on the same principle :wink: ) well you can fairly speculate with what you have. We have a driver complaining about in cockpit temperatures. And we have one hole at the front of a car, which is normally in the nose.
However you can't make a fair speculation with what you don't have.
It's become very worrying the level of aero jargon being thrown around nowadays on blogs. And the actual facts never get investigated by the readers.

I'm not against speculation or sharing ideas or educated guesses, but when they are dished out out as facts, it sometimes gets out of hand and creates a lot of noise. It makes for less substance and readers don't know what to believer and may simply lose interest and skip the page.

That Hole , to me at least, is a cooling hole; based on our experience as F1 fans, we know a driver needs a cooling hole. If it's anything but that we simply can't know at this stage. It would be unfair to cram and jam unrelated theories to it.

It would be good to explain why the boundary layer shedding thing can be misused in this example, but...
aint nobody got time for that!
That's for another thread in the aero section. :lol:
Let's just say for now it's a cooling hole. haha.
For Sure!!

ringo

stefan_ wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh01JhEjMU[/youtube]

He's not making sense, especially about the chassis design. Ferrari's nose may be higher, but the chassis is not much higher than the other cars from the section where the nose begins.
A few loaded words and he got us convinced he knows what he's talking about. Got us at "roll center", good use of persuasive literary techniques. 8)
Let's not condemn ferrari and mclaren cause this guy, with a professorial persona, made a drawing with 3 lines. I'm sure the teams were drawing a few lines themselves over the past half year.
For Sure!!

ringo

Artur Craft wrote:How buky Ferrari's sidepods are compared to Sauber's

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7300/compartop.jpg

I seriously think F138 is gonna eat lot's of C32's dust, at least in some aero tracks.
Could you super impose those?
The ferrari still has more undercut, but i think on the straights the sauber will be the fastest.
For Sure!!