Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FrukostScones

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

beelsebob wrote:

Okay, and how have you gone about accurately calculating the speed of the car to within a tenth of a second per lap, and the tyre degredation to within a hundredth per lap from looking at those things?
well, Red Bull is not known for low fuel demo laps, I just do the maths. RB9 will be the car to beat. Not that other cars will not be quicker, but we ve seen last year that the RB empire is able to strike back even when the car is not the best from the beginning.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dren wrote:Maybe one of the channels under the exhaust ramp is feeding the beam wing support?
I think RedBull's approach is opposite to that idea: those channel's are there to remove air that would otherwise mess with the exhaust flow down the ramp. They're removing air from the side of the car and feeding it in to the wake behind the car; they improve downforce by helping the exhaust blowing of the diffuser whilst also reducing drag by filling the wake. The smaller hole appears to be connected to / directed at the starter hole which will help that part of the diffuser - especially at those times when the plank is close to the ground and the flow might otherwise stall. I think this is a side effect of the real purpose which is to maximise the blowing effect of the exhaust.

One can also suggest that removing the air from the side of the sidepods helps to accelerate the flow around the side pod and thus improve scavenging of the flow coming from the front wing which then improves it performance. The net result is to markedly improve the L/D (by improving downforce and also reducing wake (drag) too).

I think this is where RedBull's design finds some performance over everyone elses method of "podded" exhausts.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
ringo wrote:Sad to say; but this car is on another planet design wise.
They are going to be champions this year again. :lol:
What makes you believe that? Which technical aspect of the car tells you that?
Quite simple really - ellipses :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

FrukostScones wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

Okay, and how have you gone about accurately calculating the speed of the car to within a tenth of a second per lap, and the tyre degredation to within a hundredth per lap from looking at those things?
well, Red Bull is not known for low fuel demo laps, I just do the maths.
Okay, what maths did you do? Can you explain the formulae and why they work?
Quite simple really - ellipses :mrgreen:
ROFL

Forza

BCN T02 - Day 2

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Just_a_fan wrote:
dren wrote:Maybe one of the channels under the exhaust ramp is feeding the beam wing support?
I think RedBull's approach is opposite to that idea: those channel's are there to remove air that would otherwise mess with the exhaust flow down the ramp. They're removing air from the side of the car and feeding it in to the wake behind the car; they improve downforce by helping the exhaust blowing of the diffuser whilst also reducing drag by filling the wake. The smaller hole appears to be connected to / directed at the starter hole which will help that part of the diffuser - especially at those times when the plank is close to the ground and the flow might otherwise stall. I think this is a side effect of the real purpose which is to maximise the blowing effect of the exhaust.

One can also suggest that removing the air from the side of the sidepods helps to accelerate the flow around the side pod and thus improve scavenging of the flow coming from the front wing which then improves it performance. The net result is to markedly improve the L/D (by improving downforce and also reducing wake (drag) too).

I think this is where RedBull's design finds some performance over everyone elses method of "podded" exhausts.
Yep, I agree, and postulated that a while ago .. those inlets are all about exhaust flow control. In the first test you could actually see the exhaust pattern on the floor, as clear as day. I haven't seen that on any other car, but maybe they were burning some fuel with a tracer to clearly detect the exhaust flow lines.

McG

Does the rake of the car make the floor one big downforce generating wing? Or basically 3 extra wings being the floor under the drivers legs, and the 2 large areas of the floor between the exhaust and rear wheels?
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Chuckjr

Gridlock wrote:Are either of these actually openings? And if so, why, especially the red one?

http://i.imgur.com/nqD3Wfr.jpg
They are reflections. :mrgreen: =D> :lol:

Sorry...I just had too from all that reflection banter from last year.....carry on. :D
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

McG wrote:Does the rake of the car make the floor one big downforce generating wing? Or basically 3 extra wings being the floor under the drivers legs, and the 2 large areas of the floor between the exhaust and rear wheels?
Rake basically helps you run a diffuser with a much bigger expansion ratio - so yes, the diffuser becomes "stronger"

Am I right in that this is the first time RBR is using a front wing swivel jack? I seem to remember them still using the trolley-type "regular" front jacks last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Coefficient
Coefficient

raymondu999 wrote:
McG wrote:Does the rake of the car make the floor one big downforce generating wing? Or basically 3 extra wings being the floor under the drivers legs, and the 2 large areas of the floor between the exhaust and rear wheels?
Rake basically helps you run a diffuser with a much bigger expansion ratio - so yes, the diffuser becomes "stronger"

Am I right in that this is the first time RBR is using a front wing swivel jack? I seem to remember them still using the trolley-type "regular" front jacks last year.
I saw them using this last year sir!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

aleks_ader

Nice look of rear wisbones and scooplees rear brake duct wiglet arangement from top view...

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Forza

Jackles-UK

Looking at one of the above pictures something has occurred to me (I may be a little behind, apologies if I am!).

Does the exhaust ramp set-up as present on the Red Bull spread the exhaust flow to a wider area of the diffuser? Surely the flow will hit the floor ahead of the wheels and flatten out feeding more of the width. I thought of it like this; if you shoot a hosepipe at something through the air the flow is strong but formed in a narrow tube, if you shoot it at the floor however the same amount of water is coming out of the hose but the area it covers is far greater (albeit at a lower pressure). Could this be a feature of the RB9 (& RB8 I guess) where almost all of the diffuser if being fed by the exhaust rather than just the edges like the coanda systems run by most of the other teams?

henra
henra

Jackles-UK wrote:Does the exhaust ramp set-up as present on the Red Bull spread the exhaust flow to a wider area of the diffuser?
That is well conceivable.
Compared to solutions like McLaren there will probably be less rotation of the exhaust stream and it has a longer way along the floor before reaching the diffuser edge. Therefore I would inded expect a somewhat fan-shaped expansion of the exhaust gases.
Could this be a feature of the RB9 (& RB8 I guess) where almost all of the diffuser if being fed by the exhaust rather than just the edges like the coanda systems run by most of the other teams?
A wider, flatter exhaust plume might be less vulnerable to yaw effects or speed dependent variation of vortices and flow around the sidepod and towards the diffuser edges.
The solution could be working over a wider range of speed and turn rates than solutions which are based on a more concentric plume pointing closer to the tyres/diffuser area.
Possible nice side effect: the inner part of the exhaust stream might acclelerate flow to the trailing edge of the outer part of the diffuser, improving expansion rate somewhat.
The cost of the RedBull solution in my view is increased drag. The drag through the tunnels will simply be significantly higher than the drag through the open area below the exhaust pods à la Ferrai/McLaren.