Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

AnthonyG wrote:Is there anything known as to how the wheel nut design influences pitstops? (I imagine they should be a bit slower)
Yes I have voiced that before as well, I think without the clearer reference point of the oval shape in the middle, the pit crew might have some problems. But of course they train it hundreds of times, let´s wait and see.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

maybe the gun has a ovel shape in the middle that slots into the hole, just the oposite way as the normal wheel gun really

mcjamweasel

AnthonyG wrote:Is there anything known as to how the wheel nut design influences pitstops? (I imagine they should be a bit slower)
Why should it make any difference to the stops? The nut is just as hollow as any other, the only difference is that the axle is also hollow rather than being blanked off.

f1316
f1316

It's an interesting point though: even if the method of removing the nut is slightly tricky and they lose, let's say, 3 seconds with a sticky wheel nut, how much does the gain have to be to allow for this?

If they get a tenth of a second benefit from using it, they could lose 30 laps (or more) of this benefit from a slow pitstop. That actually would indicate to me that it is unlikely to make any difference in the pitstop, as this point will not have been lost on Williams.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's still just a nut. :wtf:

Difference at pitstops, nil.

Vasconia

zoro_f1 wrote::idea: :arrow:click this article: [Williams FW35 clever brake duct innovation legal]. :)
What a great idea, Williams has some clever guys in its technical department. This a very well designed car and I hope it will be fast too.

blokkie
blokkie

PhillipM wrote:It's still just a nut. :wtf:

No .. it's not "just a nut" .. it's a lot more in F1. Everything is important

some info about the nut
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeIqXgaoSNM[/youtube]

Then some about the design ... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=f1+wheelnut+design

_every_ piece on the car is important . And if the design of the wheelnut can give 0.1 sec advantage I'm sure teams will use this. Even if it makes changing wheels more complext.

Also note that the design of the nut is not only for speedy tier-changes. The design also has aero elements and impacts the break-cooling.

I also don't think you can judge on the wheelnut as a standalone element. It's part of the air-gun , the wheel , the aero elements , the breaks .

So in short .. it's not "just a nut" :)

Randomness
Randomness

"Renault believed to reboot
It was not clear what scale should apply for 2013. Remains the same or may reference software the team early in the season to set a new foundation? Then Red Bull could theoretically retrieve the Hockenheim-field is possible. The statements on this were totally opposite.

Ferrari engine boss Luca Marmorini said: "Everything remains the same apply the 2012 regulations is therefore on the effect of the exhaust for the aerodynamics change anything..." Taffin colleague of Renault was of an entirely different opinion: "For us it's all over again we put in Melbourne set a new benchmark, the directive referred exclusively to the last year..."

FIA decides: 2012-rule remains valid
On request at the FIA ​​states that it applies the Technical Directive No.19 of 2012. Renault has to start thinking so. Apparently the French were suspicious and made inquiries in the evening of the third day of testing even the FIA ​​inspectors in Barcelona. The answer will not like it. It is expected that Renault has already tested new maps to optimize the exhaust effect on the aerodynamics. You can now pack up.

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn can understand that coming up with Red Bull and Lotus no joy. "Their exhaust solution was probably designed so that one of the maps has more freedom. Exhaust solution of Red Bull and Lotus is in the towing of motor critical because as the exhaust blows less and less can contribute to the pressure, which means that you more dependent on the bottleneck. "

I have seen this in discussion on the Red Bull thread too.

In this video, you can clearly hear that Williams are using an engine map which is "blowing." Which is new for them as they hadn't got the hang of it for the last 2 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrDi_jVaZw

My question is. Will this effect Williams? Does the rule that they are speaking to not revert to the one where the cars had to use an engine mapping from the first 4 races?

Quote from autosport here:

"According to the clarification, teams will be required to nominate one engine map - as a reference - that they used during the first four events of this season, which must then be approved by the governing body.

Once passed by the FIA, the engine torque curves above 6,000rpm must not vary by more than plus or minus two per cent from that reference map."

If this is the case. Is Williams not doomed already with their blown exhaust because in the first four races of last year the engine mappings they were using were not for a coanda system.

Websta

blokkie wrote:
PhillipM wrote:It's still just a nut. :wtf:

No .. it's not "just a nut" .. it's a lot more in F1. Everything is important

_every_ piece on the car is important . And if the design of the wheelnut can give 0.1 sec advantage I'm sure teams will use this. Even if it makes changing wheels more complext. Also note that the design of the nut is not only for speedy tier-changes. The design also has aero elements and impacts the break-cooling. I also don't think you can judge on the wheelnut as a standalone element. It's part of the air-gun , the wheel , the aero elements , the breaks .

So in short .. it's not "just a nut" :)
I believe PhillipM meant that in the context of pit stops that it is "still just a nut", i.e. suggesting that we shouldn't assume it will pose any issues during tyre changes. Not that it is generally "just a nut".

Sevach
Sevach

Randomness wrote:
If this is the case. Is Williams not doomed already with their blown exhaust because in the first four races of last year the engine mappings they were using were not for a coanda system.
I think they will have access to the RedBull Maps, last year there was talk that Mercedes could switch to the one Mclaren was using, so that means the maps are regulated per engine not each team exclusively.

Still, kinda iffy that the FIA would stop teams from doing new maps for a different season with different cars.

PhillipM
PhillipM

blokkie wrote: So in short .. it's not "just a nut" :)
You've just reposted a lot of stuff most here already know. Answering a question nobody asked, we were talking about it in terms of pitstops.

In terms of F1, it's still just a wheelnut. Blowing through the stub axle makes no difference to the pitstop.

aral
aral

PhillipM wrote:
You've just reposted a lot of stuff most here already know. Answering a question nobody asked, we were talking about it in terms of pitstops.

In terms of F1, it's still just a wheelnut. Blowing through the stub axle makes no difference to the pitstop.
Well, it COLD be different. Some are suggesting that the centre is oval, and this could be the method of loosening. Now IF that was the case, then there could be a possible problem with lining up the male part, with the female oval of the nut. But the nut could well be loosened by external flats, which then begs the question...why is the centre OVAL?

Rikhart
Rikhart

PhillipM wrote:

How can you still be saying that? Can´t you visualize the difference it makes, in the 3 seconds a pit stop takes, having a big, red, protruding round oval nut as a reference to slot the gun in, instead of having.... nothing there? I certainly think it will make a difference sometimes, and possibly mess up some of their pitstops.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

I'm fairly certain that they took all these considerations into account when they were designing the wheel and nut for the FW35, no doubt the pit crews have been practising with the new wheels for a while now. If an innovation or design trick shaves time off lap times and it's safe, F1 teams will use it.

Tim.Wright

Rikhart wrote: How can you still be saying that? Can´t you visualize the difference it makes, in the 3 seconds a pit stop takes, having a big, red, protruding round oval nut as a reference to slot the gun in, instead of having.... nothing there? I certainly think it will make a difference sometimes, and possibly mess up some of their pitstops.
They probably have the taper section on the mechanic's air gun. Will guide the gun onto the nut the same way as the current systems do but in reverse. Not difficult to imagine.
Not the engineer at Force India