2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
tpe
tpe

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Neno wrote:
piast9 wrote:
Neno wrote:i dont know but hexogonal exaust use bikers and riders what i find on internet. Benefit is weight savings and deeper and sportier sound, but that is not only advantage. Real advantage is major boost in performance, your engine power and its torque at practically every rpm. But how much bikers and f1 have together i dont know.
How would it save weight or increase performance since hexagonal tube of the same perimeter as the circular one has smaller crossection area?
you asking me, i have no idea. typed in google "hexongonal exaus"t, and searched pages who shows characteristic of this type of exaust. i only procceded some infos here.
I believe that it just shows the Renault Logo, nothing else...

wuzak
wuzak

WhiteBlue wrote:
Blackout wrote:So they will place the Ters inside the V :?:
The MGUH is indeed shown in the V but I doubt that is a realistic representation. The turbiner is twin scroll as expected.
Why wouldn't it be realistic WB?

In the diagrams it certainly does show a twin entry/twin scroll turbine. But the turbo in the photos, sitting on the guy's desk doesn't appear to be. Looks like one inlet to me, which would kinda defeat the purpose of the twin scrolls.

I am thinking the turbo in the photos is but a prop. Note that the picture of the complete motor is shown from the front and the turbo is hidden.

wuzak
wuzak

Re the exhaust shape, I would expect there to be a rule about the roundness of the exhaust pipe, as there is now.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I think some are reading too much from those drawings and photos. And I doubt Renault would release so much detail about the real parts and components so early.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Renault Sport F1 wrote:The new regulations that the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile) is due to introduce in 2014 will see Formula 1 enter a new era. Motor racing’s premier series is on the threshold of one of the biggest technological changes in its history.
The change fits perfectly with Renault’s powertrain strategy, which is founded on:
An unmatched commitment to electric motors,

THE NEW RESTRICTIONS SPECIFIED BY THE 2014 FIA REGULATIONS
A double-restriction concerning fuel
The amount of fuel that can be used during races has been reduced : the maximum quantity of fuel that may be carried by the car during a race will be reduced to 140 litres. Energy management will become a major factor of race strategies.
Fuel flow reduced : the maximum fuel flow rate will be reduced to 140 litres/hour, making optimisation of every gram of fuel vital for cars to go as fast as possible on a given quantity of fuel.

A double restriction concerning the flow of electrical energy
The amount of energy that can be recovered during each lap has been reduced
The amount of energy that can be restored has also been reduced

Meanwhile, thanks to the electric vehicle programme it instigated in 2009, Renault also enjoys an edge in the field of electric motor technology.

140 litres for all races ?????? (or does this just apply to Renault ?)

LESS recovery etc ?????

despite Renaults fixation on electricity (unrelated to its continuing part-public shareholder base ???)

BTW are we confident that the MGUH is still to be directly driven (coaxial with and at turbine speed) ?
or might it be driven by gearing ?

pgfpro

BTW are we confident that the MGUH is still to be directly driven (coaxial with and at turbine speed) ?
This is a question I would love to know also? With the size of the turbine wheel in the above pics and some quick math I don't see the wheel speed going over 70000rpm. Now is that slow enough for a electric motor??? Or will it have to be slowed down???
building the perfect beast

ozzimark
ozzimark

Why do I keep seeing references to a fuel tank capacity limit? There is none!

Read through the regs to see for yourself: Section 5 details the fuel flow rate at 100kg/h (a mass flow rate, as it should be, not the quoted volumetric rate of 140L/h), and section 6 makes no restrictions on the size of the fuel tank.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 111212.pdf

As for your last question, the regs allow for a clutch and do not disallow gearing of the MGHU, but do specify a maximum RPM limit on the motor, but not the turbine shaft speed itself:
5.2.4 The MGU-H must be solely mechanically linked to the exhaust turbine of a pressure charging system. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the exhaust turbine and may be clutched.

The rotational speed of the MGU-H may not exceed 125,000rpm.

roadie

This may be a dumb question, but why are the new, smaller engines heavier than those at present?

RicerDude

pgfpro wrote:
This is a question I would love to know also? With the size of the turbine wheel in the above pics and some quick math I don't see the wheel speed going over 70000rpm. Now is that slow enough for a electric motor??? Or will it have to be slowed down???
Turbine is limited to 125,000RPM

RicerDude

roadie wrote:This may be a dumb question, but why are the new, smaller engines heavier than those at present?
I believe that weight includes the turbo, TERS system and plumbing.

ozzimark
ozzimark

Yup, the entire ERS system is included in the engine weight this time around, with the exception of the battery pack. Prior to this, the KERS system was not included in the weight.
RicerDude wrote:Turbine is limited to 125,000RPM
Only the MGUH is; the turbine speed has no restriction.

WhiteBlue

ozzimark wrote:Why do I keep seeing references to a fuel tank capacity limit? There is none!

Read through the regs to see for yourself: Section 5 details the fuel flow rate at 100kg/h (a mass flow rate, as it should be, not the quoted volumetric rate of 140L/h), and section 6 makes no restrictions on the size of the fuel tank.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 111212.pdf
I believe the 140 L limit for race fuel may be a sporting regulation. So you cannot find it in the tech regs.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ozzimark
ozzimark

WhiteBlue wrote:I believe the 140 L limit for race fuel may be a sporting regulation. So you cannot find it in the tech regs.
As much as I'm hoping that they don't actually impose a fuel fill limit, I think you may be right. The very last page of the technical regulations is this energy flow diagram:

I don't see how it can be the same fuel fill for all races though; they don't all consume the same amount of fuel! I suppose the FIA could dictate a maximum starting fuel weight for every course, but again, that just seems absurd in conjunction with the fuel flow rate limit.

ringo

Each Grand Prix is about 300km in distance, so i think the 100kg will work all-round.
For Sure!!

stefan_
stefan_

Renault RS34

via techF1LES

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985