2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blackout

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

How much fuel do 2013 cars carry ? and what will be the minimum overall wheight in 2014 ?

matt21

pgfpro wrote:EDIT:

OK I have come to the conclusion that the object in front of the compressor could be some type of anti-surge cover.
Example:
Coming out of an low rpm turn and lost all boost. So the MGUH goes into motor mode and spins the turbo's compressor wheel and turbine wheel to make boost. This puts it into instant compressor surge. So this could be a anti surge cover on steroids.lol
if I remember correct one of the manufacturers had something similar back in the eighties. I only cannot remember who.

Blackout

pgfpro

Thanks for all the pics guys.

I'm pretty sure that's some type of exotic anti surge cover on the front now. In this case the MGUH will be on the front intake side of the turbo under the intake manifold with the coupling going forward from the compressor wheel to the MGUH. This also would explain the anti surge design to bring airflow around the coupling and into the turbo's inlet.

Boys, that's definitely a wastegate.lol Looks like a modified TiAL 44mm. They will probably be running two. One per side?
building the perfect beast

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

ringo wrote:Each Grand Prix is about 300km in distance, so i think the 100kg will work all-round.
Some GPs this will see as much as a 55% reduction on current capacities in KGs.

Some GPs like Valencia Urban take 217Kg at the start of the race. However Monza is a track that is deceptively low at 120Kg.

Rumor is that 2015 or 2016 will see refuelling return with DTM style 20Kg shoulder tanks in fuel only stops to spice up the strategy point of view. Theres a sporting rule change coming back to F1 on the fuel side, not refuelling 2009 style but not present start with race fuel as well.

Clew

I think refueling adds a little more excitement than the 2.4 second pit stops we see now.
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

langwadt
langwadt

isn't it a bit odd that it looks like the head is split in the middle right through on of the cylinders?

autogyro
autogyro

langwadt wrote:isn't it a bit odd that it looks like the head is split in the middle right through on of the cylinders?
That is cracked right across the top.
Not the first time I have seen that either.
I dont like the cam bearing design much.
Something not right about these parts shown.

wuzak
wuzak

pgfpro wrote:Thanks for all the pics guys.

I'm pretty sure that's some type of exotic anti surge cover on the front now. In this case the MGUH will be on the front intake side of the turbo under the intake manifold with the coupling going forward from the compressor wheel to the MGUH. This also would explain the anti surge design to bring airflow around the coupling and into the turbo's inlet.

Boys, that's definitely a wastegate.lol Looks like a modified TiAL 44mm. They will probably be running two. One per side?
I'm pretty sure that isn't the turbo that will be bolted to the Renault next year. It looks like an off the shelf turbo to me, maybe a truck version.

Forza

As @Tomba mentioned you have to take into consideration that those images are from 29/8/2012.

The Omnicorse.it wrote that the final race engine structure for 2014 will be set in June 2013.
Omnicorse wrote:“Siamo partiti nel 2011 - spiega Rob White, responsabile tecnico di Renault F1 - con un monocilindrico e ora stiamo sviluppando delle unità volte alla delibera dei singoli componenti. Solo nel mese di giugno passeremo alla definizione del motore 2014 vero e proprio”.
Omnicorse wrote: Il suono era quello di una… zanzara amplificato a 130 decibel. Non era ancora il rombo del motore V6 Turbo che correrà nel mondiale di Formula 1 nel 2014, ma l'avere avuto il privilegio di stare alla console di uno dei dodici banchi prova di Renault F1 a Viry-Chatillon, ci ha permesso di scoprire quale potrebbe essere la musicalità dei motori che animeranno il Circus dal prossimo campionato, per un periodo di sette anni. Chiariamo subito che non si trattava di un vero propulsore da corsa, ma di un'unità dimostrativa che ha simulato per noi un giro della pista di Monza, considerata, non a torto, la più impegnativa del mondiale per le parti meccaniche. E dobbiamo anche aggiungere che in questo run al banco non è mai stato superato il regime dei 12 mila giri, mentre il regolamento consente di arrivare a 15 mila giri.
They wrote that what Renault showed them on the test bench (and what we probably see on images) was a demo/prototype engine not a race spec engine. Renault F1 ran lap simulation around Monza with it for press and engine never exceed 12,000 RPMs.
Omnicorse wrote:SECONDA PUNTATA A GIUGNO? Un tempo gli operatori che andavano al banco erano condannati alla sordità: c’era chi si proteggeva l’udito usando le cuffie. Nelle celle di Renault F1, invece, l’insonorizzazione è eccellente: il musicalità arriva, ma è mitigata rispetto ai 130 decibel concessi dal regolamento FIA. Ci mostrano un prototipo del V6 Turbo che gira: l’ago del contagiri non supera mai i 12 mila giri. Si tratta di un’unità dimostrativa e non ci fanno vedere gli scarichi, né dove è stato montato l’Ers (può essere collocato fra turbo e compressore, oppure a monte di entrambi). Viene simulato un giro di Monza, dove il gas resta tutto aperto per il 72% del tempo, ma il divertimento dura poco. Ci hanno promesso che l’appuntamento è rinviato dopo giugno, quando in scena entrerà il V6 Turbo Renault. Quello vero. E allora, probabilmente, sarà tutta un’altra musica…
Jean Michel Jalinier from Renault Sport F1 also said that Honda could be looking into return with the new engine formula and that they made contact with Simon on that matter.

Jean Michel Jalinier "It's no secret, I think that Honda wants to return to Formula 1, they are working on it, but I do not know if they will be ready for 2015 or 2016. It is good that other manufacturers entering the challenge of the turbo engine."
Gilles Simon contattato dalla Honda per il V6 Turbo wrote:Renault F1 a Viry Chatillon e il presidente Jean Michel Jalinier ha ammesso candidamente: “Non è un segreto, penso che la Honda voglia rientrare in Formula 1, stanno lavorando, ma non so se saranno pronti nel 2015 o 2016. È positivo che altri costruttori entrino nella sfida del motore turbo”.

pgfpro

wuzak wrote:

I'm pretty sure that isn't the turbo that will be bolted to the Renault next year. It looks like an off the shelf turbo to me, maybe a truck version.
Do you have a link to this "off the shelf truck turbo" that looks like this???

wuzak
wuzak

pgfpro wrote:
wuzak wrote:

Do you have a link to this "off the shelf truck turbo" that looks like this???
Of course I don't.

It just looks, to me, to be have a typical production finish on the turbine housing. I have no clue as to its origins.

Also, there is but one entry for the exhaust, which probably isn't the best for use with a V6.

pgfpro

Of course I don't.

It just looks, to me, to be have a typical production finish on the turbine housing. I have no clue as to its origins.

Also, there is but one entry for the exhaust, which probably isn't the best for use with a V6.
Fair enough.

To me in these pics I see a turbo with lots of unique features.

A dual entry turbine has its own issues that require some type of VGT system to make it work proper and F1 won't allow any VGT system in 2014.

wuzak
wuzak

pgfpro wrote:A dual entry turbine has its own issues that require some type of VGT system to make it work proper and F1 won't allow any VGT system in 2014.
Just needs to be twin scroll.

WhiteBlue

wuzak wrote:
pgfpro wrote:A dual entry turbine has its own issues that require some type of VGT system to make it work proper and F1 won't allow any VGT system in 2014.
Just needs to be twin scroll.
Exactly, twin scroll is legal for 2014 and will be done.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)