Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

tgruener #F1 Sebastian Vettel running passive DRS right now. First time this year. Hope I can show you pics later. Red Bull is a little shy. :-)

He apparently doesn´t know about the beam wing one, but it appears they are trying a full on rear wing version today.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

The beam wing one has never been proven, just speculated here on the forum. I've seen no convincing evidence..

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 2 (01.03.2013)

DRD

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rikhart
Rikhart

imightbewrong wrote:The beam wing one has never been proven, just speculated here on the forum. I've seen no convincing evidence..
What more do you need? You had flow viz of its effects, the clear air entrance... Dont think there´s much doubt about it.

beelsebob
beelsebob

The above deffinately blows the beam wing as well as the rear wing – you can see the second tube turning down to the beam wing.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Rikhart wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:The beam wing one has never been proven, just speculated here on the forum. I've seen no convincing evidence..
What more do you need? You had flow viz of its effects, the clear air entrance... Dont think there´s much doubt about it.
If you are referring to this as the flow-viz of the effects:

Then I simply see it differently.. That hole that you see is simply another element of the beam-wing that they can run closest to the end-plate (many teams do a similar thing on the rearwing). See this picture to see that it is a hole all the way through the beam wing:

I might be wrong, but I'm definitely not convinced of this theory.

DarkJRO

beelsebob wrote:The above deffinately blows the beam wing as well as the rear wing – you can see the second tube turning down to the beam wing.
Where do you see a second tube to the beamwing? i only see the swanneck support of the beamwing, which has been there since carlaunch.

In my oppinion this DRD is more proof of the "little DRD" to the beamwing. Speculation is that the air enteres at the beginning of beamwing support. and now, the new big DRD also comes from this support and i can't see any new air duct in front of it
Greetings
Dark JRO

Rikhart
Rikhart

beelsebob wrote:The above deffinately blows the beam wing as well as the rear wing – you can see the second tube turning down to the beam wing.
Also notice the tell-tale bit of flow viz on the beam wing edge, near the end-plate, again.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Rikhart wrote:
Also notice the tell-tale bit of flow viz on the beam wing edge, near the end-plate, again.
I might be daft at reading flow-viz, but could you explain it to me? What I see is a gap in the flow viz, i.e. no flow viz applied there. If flow viz was applied and disturbed (different flow vector than the rest) then it would still be visible, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.. care to explain to me?

gandharva

Very Interesting. RBR now uses the swan-neck air-inlet to feed both, beamwing and rearwing DRD. We already speculated about the extension of the system to the rearwing.

/edit 1
imightbewrong wrote:See this picture to see that it is a hole all the way through the beam wing:
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2l9k2nr.jpg
It isn't. Just search for pics where you can see the beam wing from the other side. No hole in any of the pictures. What you are referring to is reflections from the metal plate they mounted on both sides of the beam wing. It's there since first Barcelona test.

/edit 2
Here you can see the metal plates in the beamwing without any hole:
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 472570.jpg
Maybe those metal plates contain the beamwing DRD trigger...
Last edited by gandharva on 01 Mar 2013, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.

Rikhart
Rikhart

imightbewrong wrote:
Rikhart wrote:
I might be daft at reading flow-viz, but could you explain it to me? What I see is a gap in the flow viz, i.e. no flow viz applied there. If flow viz was applied and disturbed (different flow vector than the rest) then it would still be visible, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.. care to explain to me?

I mean the speck of flow viz near the beam wing edge, on the endplates. As far as I can tell, that has just been painted on, and not "spread" yet by the air at high speed. I think the car is just leaving the pits after they applied it.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Rikhart wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
Rikhart wrote:

I mean the speck of flow viz near the beam wing edge, on the endplates. As far as I can tell, that has just been painted on, and not "spread" yet by the air at high speed. I think the car is just leaving the pits after they applied it.
Alright, I see. So the assumption is then that since there is flow viz there they are trying to monitor something there, and that must be the DRD?

munudeges
munudeges

Juzh wrote:Question. When and why did red bull opt not to use monkey seat? I remember it being on the launch car.
The monkey seat was on and last year and was never an ideal solution. It creates drag and disruption for not a great deal of gain.

Rikhart
Rikhart

imightbewrong wrote: Alright, I see. So the assumption is then that since there is flow viz there they are trying to monitor something there, and that must be the DRD?
Thats how I interpret it, at least!

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985