Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Neno
Neno

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

markp wrote:That this exhaust solution has been planned allalong it seems to suggest the illegal version of original exhaust meant othing. why did they do that?
well as Brawn said this is testing, and they will try every version of exaust they have. So i am not suprised they did have ramp exaust somewhere in factory ready to test.

Blackout

FW35's rear (V1) compared to others
She might be shorter than the others though..

Last edited by Blackout on 02 Mar 2013, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Callum

Why in the previous pictures are the rear tyres completely un-marked? I'd have thought they would at least have Pirelli on them.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Callum wrote:Why in the previous pictures are the rear tyres completely un-marked? I'd have thought they would at least have Pirelli on them.
Because they're "development" tyres. Aka softs produced at a different factory where they're trying to assess the quality of the output.

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 3 (02.03.2013)

via Andrew Benson/Gary Anderson

High resolution: Back | Exhaust/RW | Back
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Forza wrote:Another look at FW35 new exhaust at Barcelona today
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... G_1535.jpg
And their driveshaft, lower wishbone and track rod seem to be inline and close to each other... closer than last year

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 8-0151.jpg
Last edited by Blackout on 02 Mar 2013, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 02 Mar 2013, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Callum wrote:Why in the previous pictures are the rear tyres completely un-marked? I'd have thought they would at least have Pirelli on them.
Because they're "development" tyres. Aka softs produced at a different factory where they're trying to assess the quality of the output.
From what i´ve read it´s identical compounds but built in Romania in case something happens with the factory in Turkey.

They get the ones from Romania for free on top of the 100 marked tires they get for the season.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

3 additional items to note with this Aero update.

The 35 is now running a double barge board up front compared to the single barge board setup from the previous floor. The vertical strake on the outside of the sidepod bulges out to accommodate the additional board.

The transmission shroud has increased in diameter with an elevated engine exhaust exit at the swan neck of the beam wing.

The 3-prong shark gill at the side of the engine on the engine cover is now a 2-prong shark gill.

roadie

Wow this is a radical update at the rear of the car!

The intake under the ramp doesn't seem that large - I hope this provides an overall performance boost and not just an increase in drag that also adds a bit of downforce.

I wonder if the changed cooling outlets and larger gearbox cover is hot weather specific?

Sevach
Sevach

When RedBull introduced their "Valencia tunnel" they also made the bodywork around the gearbox larger so they can exit the tunnel there, so i don't think it's just hot air exit.

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 4 (03.03.2013)

via Dickie Stanford

via Williams F1 Team

via F1Fanatic

Last edited by stefan_ on 03 Mar 2013, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

joseff

So, the high nose and new FW are meant to go with the new sidepods, as speculated earlier in this thread.

roadie

I don't avow to understand aerodynamics, but the intake under the ramp seems very small compared to the amount of free space there was at the rear of the car before the ramp. The ramp takes up a large footprint in front of the rear wheels on the FW35! Also the ramp intake exit next to the gearbox fattens the famously slim rear end.

Hope it works!

Sevach
Sevach

Is there a slit on the top of the sidepods now? Look below the mirrors.